• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Two sisters

The hobby-grade angelfish don't grow very tall. Only the wild ones like altums will grow to be 10 inches tall. Amano shrimps will be ok... once they're big enough, they won't fit into the mouths of hobby-grade angelfish. Cherry shrimps will be food.
How are angels effected by high flow?

Sorry I don't know, haven't had angels in a long time now. I guess if discus are fine, angels would be too. I have 10x flow with discus. They can always find a place where the flow is calmer and just sit there.

I was pruning some plants in the tank and came across this Java fern which was much smaller last time I had it in my hands....and they say Java fern grows slow.
20151026_203748.jpg

The tank looks great martin!!!

You mentioned that you are using 2 filters but i only see 1 very large spraybar. Should i assume you connected 2 filters on 1 spraybar? If so how does this work out? maybe you have some pics? Im interested because im working on my watercirculation and i wonder if I should use a praybar aswell but i also have 2 filters so then i would need 2 spraybars....

cheers!

The tank looks great martin!!!

You mentioned that you are using 2 filters but i only see 1 very large spraybar. Should i assume you connected 2 filters on 1 spraybar? If so how does this work out? maybe you have some pics? Im interested because im working on my watercirculation and i wonder if I should use a praybar aswell but i also have 2 filters so then i would need 2 spraybars....

cheers!
My tank has 2 canister filters, but they aren't hooked up to the spray bar, the spray bar has a power head attached to it, this one is separate and only there to give me the flow I need.
20150815_165912.jpg

In this picture you are able to see the 2 in- and outlets from the filters and the power head in the far right corner.

20150817_200902%20kleiner_zps3zr4k3tf.jpg

A little update.
I will take the floaters out after a few weeks, they are only there to give me a good indication about my nutrients level.
Fantastic scape Martin, love it!

One question, the way I read the above is you were using the floating plants as an indicator for nutrient levels in the tank!? Can you elaborate on what you are looking for and why the floating plant is a good indicator? I've not heard of this before.

Also is there any substrate on the islands or just sand?

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

Fantastic scape Martin, love it!

One question, the way I read the above is you were using the floating plants as an indicator for nutrient levels in the tank!? Can you elaborate on what you are looking for and why the floating plant is a good indicator? I've not heard of this before.

Also is there any substrate on the islands or just sand?

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk
Hi Richard,

You can read about the use of floating plants by searching for the duckweed index which was created by @dw1305. the idea is to use a floating plant as indicator of nutrient deficiency on your tank since the floating plant has access to aerial CO2. So if the floating it's not showing any deficiency and you can see deficiencies on the plants submerged then you know it's a CO2 problem

This layout is slowly going to turn into a new layout, because I am planning to get some Discus fish and they need some more space. It will still be a planted tank, but more simplified.
This was the first step. I'm trying to do the rescape without draining the water and even leave the fish in (for now).
20160226_204049kleiner.jpg

Found a nice piece of wood, went for something more bulky as Discus fish are more bulky too.
20160227_105901kleiner.jpg

After poring boiling water over it and cleaning it it went into the tank to soak.
20160227_201928kleiner.jpg

This is the messy tank now, I will do a bleach dip to kill of most of the algae (which isn't much) and snails. It is still a long way from even starting to look like something.

Back