• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Using Reflectors yes/no

Shades

Tank is a Juwel rio 125 with 2 28w t5 tubes, my question is would you use reflectors or do you think it might be to much light intensity.

-Thanks-

If your plants are doing fine as they are there is no need to use reflectors, but if you want a little more light use them.

Hi,
In a closed top system such as the jewel tanks id say reflectors aren't necessary unless using them to direct light away from the water surface. Many seem to struggle with too much light and not enough co2 when using reflectors in a fish stocked tank.
Cheerio,
Ady

I started the plants/setup in my Vision 180, with T8 tubes and reflectors, but twisted the reflectors round to lower the light level. Didn't suffer any algae, got diatom outbreak after a week of two, but diatoms soon scoffed by ottos. When everybody was settled in, plants and fish, I twisted reflectors back to normal position to increase light.

Cheers guys for your opinions, i do have a some diatom but mainly on my anubias nana. I've removed the reflectors to see what happens but it doesn't look very bright.

-Thanks-

Don't think diatoms are caused by light, caused by ammonia and silicates in a new tank with a not fully mature filter. Can be mechanically cleaned (ie wiped or fish) and will go away of their own accord. Diatoms are very different than BBA ie very brown and dusty and easy to remove where at BBA is black and doesn't wipe off.

Back