• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Vaz and Ryan - Juwel Rio 125 - Video + New Set up :)

Vazkez, west coast is beautiful. Skye is well worth a visit. The drive up could be stunning or (if it is cloudy/foggy) just various shades of grey.

Big clown there aren't that many roads up there to choose from. It's like choose between an A road or a sheep track. Sheer luxury when they throw in a passing lane for a mile or two.

Few more pictures of the tank waking up :)

577b9cd98da2b01d7df60a5333b09995.jpg

4c635f350883f88ee35078fb85b4cbc2.jpg

cca8aad779539fd3f0c040b0aa641dda.jpg

c9732deec798fb9757c028326df670d7.jpg

Hi guys,

I seems to run to few problems with the HC. Please see the pictures below. I have some decaying (?) Hopefully Clive will not kill me for this but I do not think it is a CO2 issue as my drop checker is constantly yellow. Maybe flow or N ?

I thinking to add a wave maker on the back wall ( left top corner to right). Where would you put it to have the best result please?

f7f7a7155ee87b01f907d088cfc1ac74.jpg

25ac694a5389997426a05eda80dad192.jpg

26ff388820b6d1af1de821ebf61f584a.jpg

Please note that all other plants seems to do well as well as the actual HC pearls...

2xt5 lights might be a little too much for a new setup, try raising them by 15cm
Flow could also be a problem but the filter should give enough turnover, try experiment with your lily pipe position and maybe try a spraybar too.
But definitely a light, flow and/or distribution problem

Thank you mate I will try to work on that....

Will try to increase the flow first and lower the light :)

Hi all,
quick question guys im doing a scape right now using wood. can I use any moss I find in my back garden to be grown emersed?
Yes.

The only slight caveat would be some mosses only grow on wood, and others only on bare ground or stones etc. If you could find one already growing on wood it should re-attach really easily.

<"Brachythecium rutabulum
"> is a really common moss that works well for this.

cheers Darrel

Hi all, Yes.

The only slight caveat would be some mosses only grow on wood, and others only on bare ground or stones etc. If you could find one already growing on wood it should re-attach really easily.
<"Brachythecium rutabulum"> is a really common moss that works well for this.

cheers Darrel
excellent thank you very much

Hi all,
This is a good time of year to go looking for mosses.

If you have woodland or a stream near to you, as the vegetation dies back mosses should become apparent on the woodland floor (often on fallen dead wood), where there has been Nettle patches, low down on trees like Ash and Elder, and on rocks and bare clay along stream edges. <"Kindbergia praelonga"> is another really common moss you could find in all these situations, that will work on exposed wood, and may even grow submersed.

We really don't know which mosses will grow in the tank, but some native mosses of damp grassland, like <"Amblystegium serpens"> & <"Calliergonella cuspidatum">, seem to grow fine warm and permanently submerged.

There are a whole range of mosses that grow in wet alkaline conditions which might be suitable for harder water tanks, like <"Palustriella commutata">.

cheers Darrel

Hi guys,

small update... So after 3 weeks everything grows like crazy, however diatoms too :p I brought the light as high as I could and also hired family of 6 otto's to clean the mess after me :p

73a9aa6760fa30fa5fa83b1fe2310140.jpg

8575e74ea56532e275c0df4f55c966bc.jpg

The Limnophila aromatica has new grow every day now and slowly filling the right corner...

d6de7a82c8f738d6ab6bebaac2c5f6b0.jpg

Left side of the tank. Some new leaves on anubias as well as Staurogyne sp.
Hydrocolyte so. Japan also creeping everywhere :)

9c7c9e7fa5208c06645d74e50810c508.jpg

Right side of the tank. HC slowly filling the front as well as the Staurogyne porto velo already filled the back. Pogostemon helferi will need some trimming soon as well.

ce2fc1093a6a18499fe3863d62483dff.jpg

And finally shot of the whole tank. So far not bad, however could be better as at the moment trying to outrun the algae ...
I order few shrimps as well to help me in this war.

a3c490f957f97ad576e674e0744502f6.jpg

Only thing what I do not like so far is the rotala indica at the back... It is not bushy enough for my taste but I am a bit worried to give it a trim so early. Any suggestions?

Also that damm wood doesn't want to sink still

Well few news...

The good news are that it's looks like I finally got the diatoms under control :)
Probably thanks to my Ottos and my old toothbrush.

The bad news are that Rhizoclonium algae now shows up .... More use of my toothbrush now on daily basic :( Started to dose excel as well as I will do blackout during the Xmas period and check everything...

Wish my luck :D

Hello guys,

I should probably call this ' Journal of disasters ' :D

Yes another disaster strikes while I was out on Friday 26. When I came home the stone which supposed to hold the wood was laying on my HC and the wood obviously floating ... :(
What a mess left side of the HC carpet got mostly destroyed in process and most of the plants on left side got uprooted due to the wood.

Do not ask me how this happened as I have no idea. Probably shrimps was dancing on the rock too much.

Anyway I had to change the hardscape little as I wanted to make sure that the wood will stay in place without the stone. I 'finished' with the tank at 1am in morning ...

Two more plants has been added while the tank has been clearing out.

Eleocharis sp. mini - between the rocks next to the wood

Alternanthera mini - on right side behind the rocks as I was feeling that the tank is too green

Anyway distribution of the soil doesn't really helped to my fight against the algae and now it's worst then ever.

Rhizoclonium spread all over the HC now and I feel I will have to do blackout ASAP.

One picture of the tank now as you can see it's still clearing out and more then half of the carpet got destroyed...

c38d6ad9bef5fe155681f0c3ffb8dd65.jpg

Overall could be worst and I am optimistic still :)

Back