• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Vision 260

Be careful which dechlorinator you use in your tank when using purigen, as some damage and block purigen. Seachem prime is obviously ok, but Tera Aquasafe is not.

Same here mate. I like a slight tint, but this is just something else. Even after a good couple of months soaking.

If it stayed like it is now I'd be happy, but within a day/2days I won't be able to see the other end of the tank. I'll keep removing the purigen every couple of weeks to see how it's getting on.

The last picture I posted doesn't really look that tinted, but in real life it's a lot more & just right for my liking. I'm doing twice weekly 50% changes but today's was a big 50%. Maybe 60%

Purigen delivery isn't expected while Monday so fetched some today :lol:

While I was there I couldn't resist bringing back 5 angels as well. Big clowns recommendation has cost me a few pennies lol

After around 2/3 hours the purigen had already darkened in certain places and the water is definitely getting clearer. Can't wait to see the result tomorrow morning.

I also added my old gourami on Thursday who likes the HC carpet a bit too much. Hopefully his new mates will now keep him occupied :thumbup:

Last edited:
Just to show you the extent of the tannins. This is 3 days after a 50% plus water change with purigen running for 2 of those days. Purigen is nearly dead already, hopefully the other will arrive today so I can put that straight in.

imagejpg1_zps4c1bebfb.jpg

Few updates, nothing really interesting though so I do apologise for bumping this to the top :lol:

Mr Gourami has been evicted after ploughing through my HC like a possessed manatee. I knew he would, but was hoping he wouldn't.

I've noticed the HC melting in a few places over the last couple of days. It's too random and early really to decide why, but I'll keep my out and see what happens. Hopefully it's just old emersed growth.

Angels have settled in well and are happily spending their days grazing through the HC, substrate and wood looking for food. Obviously with the odd argument thrown in.

I've made a mini spraybar for the sump return from a 12mm (13) T piece. I melted the ends over to seal them and drilled 3 x 7mm holes. This now means the fish can use the full length of the tank without being smashed in the head from a single 500+lph stream.

The Echinodorus xinguensi has sent a runner out already with two little plants on. It's above the substrate so my plant pot idea seems to have worked. Although the intention was to keep the runners within the pot, if it's forcing them over then that will do. Anything as long as I don't have to start chasing them through the substrate.

Rest of the plants are looking ok, if a little small. I'm sure they'll get there, eventually.

As for the tannins, I'm keeping on top of them thanks to 2 bags of purigen and I decided yesterday to start doing daily 10% water changes. This should hopefully bring them down over the next few weeks, as long as the purigen keeps up with what the wood offers on a daily basis. I have another purigen on the way as well, for when the others are being bleached.

Think that concludes this update. Thanks for reading. If you get this far down that is :D

A pair of Apistogramma agassizi fire red now added. Settling in well and holding their own with the angels. Looks like they've claimed the back right corner as their new home :)

As for the HC, I think I've had enough of it so just going to let it get on with it. It either lives or dies, way too much hassle for my liking. I wondered why I'd never seen a big tank and fish with HC, now I know why lol Some bits are melting and some bits hanging out of the substrate due to the angels, all in all it looks pretty shabby compared to how it was.

I'm thinking of removing the pot around the Echinodorus xinguensi as well and just let that send its runners out. Not quite sure yet though.

How did you go about making a lovely cabinet for your 260? Ive still got the standard juwel stand which is soooo impractical for any sensible use!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Richard, cheers.

I made it out of 18mm MDF, glued & screwed and then wrapped it in black vinyl. I have some pictures somwhere from when I built it, I'll put some up.

The whole front was originally going to be curved to match the tank, but the MDF I bought wasn't bendy enough so just went with it. Still looks ok though.

That would be great if you could, i love the shape of the tank, just that stand during maintenance is such a pain in the behind! I'll be doing the same as you i reckon, but i'll probably use a wet dry filter to improve CSA aeration in my tank. Props to you!! that stand looks extremely well crafted !

Yes sure, I'll put some up probably this evening.

I ran out of black vinyl, so the left side isn't finished and I did intend to cover the inside as well. Now it's full though it's staying the way it is :D

Edit: I haven't forgotten Richard. The pictures must be on the PC. I've got some work to do on it tomorrow (Tues) so I'll upload them then.

I added some vallis yesterday to see how it would get on with the liquid carbon. So far so good. The random HC melting outburst has disappeared as quick as it appeared. It's left a few patches and looks a bit sorry for itself, but hopefully will come back.

Last edited:
@Richardbunting - These are the only photos I have, but hopefully you can see what I've done. This was from 1 sheet of 8x4. The 2 extra supports at the front of the middle piece were just off cuts, so thought I may as well add them.

First pic, near enough done. The bottom piece still needs cutting to match the bow of the tank and the centre piece needs cutting to fit the sump, or not if you're running external.

20121201_110419_zps8c8f19f5.jpg

Pic 2: Centre piece marked out for the sump cut out.

20121201_110437_zps7f0ae975.jpg

Pic 3: Bad pic but sump in.

20121201_165800_zpsc2772ef0.jpg

Last edited:
Nice job btw thanks for the pictures!

My cabinet is starting to get chipboarditis at the back. I don't know why manufacturers choose laminated chipboard for use with water. However your build is really inspiring :) cheers.

Bit of a squeaky bum time tonight. It's the first time I've added bleached purigen back to the tank :nailbiting:

The female apisto decided to go AWOL for an hour or so and one angel decided that now was the time to go and have a nap in a dark corner near the surface :wideyed:

Everything the fish are doing is causing me concern. Hopefully just down to my paranoia, but I'll definitely be leaving the purigen to soak in prime for a couple of days next time, just to make sure.

Last edited:
A pair of Apistogramma agassizi fire red now added. Settling in well and holding their own with the angels. Looks like they've claimed the back right corner as their new home :)

Only 17 days since I bought these and they already have fry :thumbup:

Quick phone pic, but you can just make 4 out.

imagejpg1_zpsc5c0a7a3.jpg

Last edited:
Back