What are these???

LondonDragon

Administrator
Staff member
How do I get rid of them? They are in my shrimp only tank, at first I could see the odd one or two but now there are hundreds, they are not snails and swim about very fast.

They are very tiny, thats the Fissedens Fontanus moss.

Thanks

LondonDragon

Administrator
Staff member
jay said:
Ewwwww!!! Some sort of mite. Get a fish from another tank and see if it hoovers them up.
Can't do that, fish will hoover up my shrimplets too lol

LondonDragon

Administrator
Staff member
Tom said:
Are they not little snails?
Nope they swim about very fast, but there are lots of little snails in there too, but these little things I have no idea what they are!

LondonDragon

Administrator
Staff member
Ed Seeley said:
They're Ostracods Paulo. Otherwise known as seed shrimp. At least they look like it in the photo.
Thanks Ed, also very similar to these :bored: they seem to live well with the shrimp and leave them alone, just worried they will multiply beyond control, what if I had some Ottos, I heard that they are shrimp safe??

the Guru!

I had some in my tank, but they dissapeared... guessin' the fish sorted them out :)

a1Matt

LondonDragon said:
what if I had some Ottos, I heard that they are shrimp safe??
Ottos are shrimp safe, as they are vegetarians. Which also means they will probably not eat the Ostro wotsits either :(

Maybe get a really small fish like an ember tetra or dwarf rasbora just for the time being to see if they sort it out? I'm sure they're shrimp safe.

Dusko

Ostracod :) Harmless-
I keep Boraras maculatus with RCS and never have observed them attacking the shrimplets.

Regards, Dusko