• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

What can be considered a normal variation in the number of bps?

parotet

Hi, I have a single stage CO2 Art regulator in a 2Kg pressurized cylinder. The first gauge is clearly indicating that the cylinder is full (it has been running only for 4 weeks and every ew days I have checked if there was any leak). The working pressure is fixed at 5 bar and the gas is delivered to the tank with an inline atomizer.

The problem is that some days I can count 110 bps and sometimes 140. The trend is not necessarily increasing the number of bps each day. I assume that a bubble counter is a rough guide of the gas delivered to the tank, this is not my worry… I am using other systems to "read" if the CO2 delivered is ok (I have done pH readings for checking different configurations, drop checker, how the shrimps look like, etc.) . What I really don’t know is if this variation in the number of bps can be considered as normal (maybe something related to the changing pressure in the cylinder, room temperature variation), if it is because it is a cheap regulator, or if it is that it isn’t working as it should?

Cheers,
Jordi

yes... more likely 140 bubbles per minute! :eek:)

Well, assuming it's per minute, if you count 110 bpm that's 1.8bps and 140 bpm is 2.3bps.

I wouldn't say that's a huge difference. I've noticed on mine a difference as well, never really counted though, but still, I can tell it's changing sometimes. Why, I wouldn't know, but I guess, room temperature is a good start, and then, the needle valve is really small, if I touch mine slightly, it will either go really high or really low... it('s quite sensitive...

Yep... where it is written "bps" it means "bpm", and where you read "What can be considered a normal variation in the number of bps?" you can add "come on...why the hell not worrying about more important things???"
:)
Jordi

Hi Jordi, I have noticed the same kind of flow fluctuation when the cylinder is about to run out of CO2. Anyway, the fluctuating range you are talking about is not very wide, so I would not worry about it. As you say, I guess it is due to a combination of factors including cylinder temperature, regulator performance, etc.

It's not related with the question that entitled this thread, but you also say that your working pressure is 5 bars. I have my inline atomizer working at 2 bars in a 300L tank, and it is doing well. I am wondering if your pressure value is too high ... Perhaps we are using different devices with different optimal working pressure. Have you tried lower values in yours? Surely you have, it's just curiosity.

Best wishes,

Jose

Hi Jose, I hope I'm not running out of gas... I have used it only for 4 weeks and I have checked if I had leaks every few days.
The working pressure is fix in this regulator, so the only adjustment you can make is with the needle valve. Maybe you are right and this high working pressure combined with the atomizer and a needle valve which is not probably very good make the system more unstable.

Jose, as we are nearly neighbours.... Just some miles of water between us... What regulator are you using? Did you buy it Spain? The ones I can see on the shops here are exactly like mine (CO2 art double gauged single stage) but more expensive.

Jordi

In my experience variation each day of bps is symptomatic of a leak somewhere.

I was preached this leak advice causing variable bubble count and difficulty in control using needle valve, but nope, can't be me I have checked and checked for leaks. Then instead of 100 days per 2Kg FE I got 60 days, then finally 23 days....

Well "bugle me backwards, put cheese on and call me a toastie !". Putting bubble counter and one way valve into jug of water, no leaks. Apply slight pressure, whilst underwater, to tubing on the one way valve (Easy Aqua) and it just fizzed CO2 from its joints. Apply pressure to locking nuts on bubble counter and bubble bubble bubble. So cut open one way valve as reassembled with plumber silicone thread sealer and replaced bubble counter with nice expensive JBL bubble counter and now I get consistent and controllable bubble rates.

Since this fix previous two 2Kg FE's are have been around 90-100 days and current is heading that way as well.

Put a set of digital scales under your FE, mine weighs 5.8Kg when full dropping to 3.8Kg (obviously) when empty, dropping about 15-20gr per day. Easy to see consumption and estimate life.

Well "bugle me backwards, put cheese on and call me a toastie !". Putting bubble counter and one way valve into jug of water, no leaks. Apply slight pressure, whilst underwater, to tubing on the one way valve (Easy Aqua) and it just fizzed CO2 from its joints. Apply pressure to locking nuts on bubble counter and bubble bubble bubble. So cut open one way valve as reassembled with plumber silicone thread sealer and replaced bubble counter with nice expensive JBL bubble counter and now I get consistent and controllable bubble rates.
Hi, you are probably right but I have a litlle glass with soapy water and I have brushed several times all the places where I could have leaks... and nothing, no bubbles. My bubble counter (includes a one way valve) has been moreover put into a jug with water... and nothing again. At least with the working pressure I have it seems I have no leaks. I will try this afternoon to open the needle valve a bit more and look for leaks. Thanks for the advice.

Another option is:
5 bars of working pressure + cheap regulator + cheap needle valve = do whatever you can mate, you were advised to spend more money on that!

Anyway, I have to admit that the variation in the number of bps is for the moment very slight... actually you cannot notice it just by looking at the bubble counter (I mean my reg is not bubbling like a fool from one day to another), that is why I asked what variation could be considered normal.

Cheers,
Jordi

Jose, as we are nearly neighbours.... Just some miles of water between us... What regulator are you using? Did you buy it Spain? The ones I can see on the shops here are exactly like mine (CO2 art double gauged single stage) but more expensive.

Jordi

Hi Jordi,

I bought that one, it is also a "cheap" one, but working fine. Local friends also purchased the same model one year ago and to date we all are happy with them.

Cheers,

Jose

Yes, I know this one... It is very similar to mine, I would say the same. And sorry again but my working pressure is 50 psi (so 3.44 bar) and not 5 bar as I mentioned before.
Thanks!

Back