• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

What other hobby's do you have?

I'm not sure if this is a hobby or a sport... If it's a sport it most likely will be considered a Grannies Sport among most younger people. AT least that is how it's looked at in my country... I'm playing it already every Friday evening for about 15 years with 3 friends on a weekly basis... And I kinda consider it the French version of Darts if you know what I mean. 🍺 (hiccup)

It might be a sport after all.

Anyway for those who don't know it, it's fun and definitively worth a go for an evening of fun...

I’ve played it. It was big as a pub team game back in the 80s and 90s. Not sure how popular it is now though. We called it French bowls. It’s closer to our lawn bowls, than darts.

I’ve played it. It was big as a pub team game back in the 80s and 90s not sure how popular it is now.

I have no idea, popularity really is different per country... In my country, it's as said mostly considered a sport/hobby for elderly people. To see teenagers in this is a rarity...
The video is from the English Petanque Association posted about 5 years ago. And it's actually the best explanatory introduction video I ever found about it. :)

I enjoyed playing it, and it’s a nice way to interact socially. I consider it a game of skill though, not necessarily a sport. For me a sport requires speed, strength, physical and mental agility, and endurance, or combinations there of. But I guess that’s probably up for debate.

Recently started gaming on the xbox and liking the following:
Fortnite - just blasting away at other players to get a win. reminds me of HalfLife battle mode.
Jurassic Park Evolution 2 - Love building parks in different ways. And watching YouTube vids on other players and their builds for inspiration.
Century - Dragon riding Co-op battle worlds - Still getting used to how fast paced this game is but liking it.

But I guess that’s probably up for debate.

It's rather elusive I guess... One can be unsportive in sports...

If we define Sport by its roots (etymologically) it arrived in England via the French 'Desport" from the Medieval Latin "Disportum" which can be placed in the context of recreation and or enjoyment. From there on the word "Sport" travelled the globe and gained international popularity in the 19th century, probably via television.

I played chess for a few years competitively and even tho it's sitting on my butt for hours it could be pretty tiresome and be rather crackbrained and daft after sitting over 3 hours at the table staring at chess pieces like my life depended on it. Experienced players also say never to eat before the game, because you need blood (oxygen) in your brain and not in your stomach. Hence the game becomes a "Mind Sport".

Billart is a game till you play it competitively then it becomes a type of Cue Sport. I guess the same goes for anything recreative with a competitive tendency can become a sport. So that would make Aquascaping competition a sport too...

An enjoyable person is a good sport and plays it by the rules. The Dutch don't use it like this but name somebody who's frolicsome and fair and follows the rules a 'Sportive' person.

I played chess for a few years competitively and even tho it's sitting on my butt for hours it could be pretty tiresome and be rather crackbrained and daft after sitting over 3 hours at the table staring at chess pieces like my life depended on it. Experienced players also say never to eat before the game, because you need blood (oxygen) in your brain and not in your stomach. Hence the game becomes a "Mind Sport".
This is a weird mix...

I’ve played it. It was big as a pub team game back in the 80s and 90s. Not sure how popular it is now though. We called it French bowls. It’s closer to our lawn bowls, than darts.
Still popular as entertainment in holiday resorts I been to in Greece and Cyprus! fun game to play!

Yes, it's indeed very much related to Curling, Bowls and Bocce... I actually like to watch Bowls and Curling very much it's more pleasing than watching Petanque. Petanque is more like a street or parkside game and this kinda also reflexes on the people who play it. Visiting open tournaments you meet all kinds of people from all classes.

And the booze always flows richly usually the more intoxicated the players the better the games. There is no open tournament without a number of drunk players almost falling over. :lol: That was actually my comparison with Darts and Petanque. Since Darts is a pub sport, 99% of all played dart games are about intoxicated players.

This is the world champion, not really a trained athlete, not uncommon size for the regular petanque player.
maxresdefault.jpg

One of my friends has a Petanque lane in a very large garden, so every Friday evening the 4 of us play a few rounds with a campfire a BBQ and a few beers for about the last 15 years. Also sometimes visit and compete in open tournaments.

Last edited:
One of my friends has a Petanque lane in a very large garden, so every Friday evening the 4 of us play a few rounds with a campfire a BBQ and a few beers for about the last 15 years. Also sometimes visit and compete in open tournaments.
That sounds awesome. My experience of petanque was as a pub garden sport/game. My brother was a member of the local pub petanque team and they competed against other pub teams around the area. Many pints were sunk, often it was the last team standing that won by default 😁

That sounds awesome.

It really is especially during the summer... This is us having a break... The Petanque track or lane whatever it is called actually is not in the garden it's in between the garden and the soccer field. We have permission to use it freely because officially that pathway is half on my friend's property. So it's a 50/50 deal from both sides.

WhatsApp Image 2021-07-02 at 21.02.12.jpeg

I stay in Cognito, you may guess who is who... ;)

What should I say, obviously the most handsome of the bunch... :lol:

No.... I'm not. The clue? Famous song?

It really is especially during the summer... This is us having a break... The Petanque track or lane whatever it is called actually is not in the garden it's in between the garden and the soccer field. We have permission to use it freely because officially that pathway is half on my friend's property. So it's a 50/50 deal from both sides.

View attachment 207087

I stay in Cognito, you may guess who is who... ;)
Looks like good beer too!

Back