• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

What other hobby's do you have?

Looks like good beer too!

Trappist Westvleteren is brewed by the monks of the Sint-Sixtus abbey.

One of Belgium's most priced and exclusive beers brewed in a limited edition. The sale of the beer is not for commercial purposes and is available only to individuals who have registered in advance. Also, the maximum amount you can buy is strictly limited... Nowadays they offer orders with home delivery but also very limited and P&P is quite pricy. Collections need to be picked up personally at the Abbey anyway, so what the heck one of us just drove the 300km to pick it up ourselves... :) You really have to sit on top and watch it like a hawk, as we say it's sold out within a "sigh and a fart". A wooden crate with the deposit is +/- €70 when picked up personally.

Was it worth all the hassle? From one beer lover to another "Hell yes!" :woot: You need to even if it's only once in a lifetime. A beer you'll never forget, getting your hands on it is already an adventure makes drinking it even more special.

Actually from Dover to the Saint Sixtus Abbey is a shorter route.

Have a go at “Rolife”. You can purchase them on Amazon.
They might give you a little insight into the above.
This is very different from what I make. Rolife are miniature houses, often complete with furniture. It's a construction kit .build up with plastic, cardboard, paper, wood, etc
My work consist 95% XPS insulation foam

This is very different from what I make. Rolife are miniature houses, often complete with furniture. It's a construction kit .build up with plastic, cardboard, paper, wood, etc
My work consist 95% XPS insulation foam
Sorry mate I wasn’t making a comparison between the two. I can see there’s a clear difference.
My intent was that the Rolife stuff may give an insight into making small detailed models.

Spectating motor sport has been a life long interest, not sure I would say a hobby though.
There is a lot of motor sport on our island including a round of the British hillclimb championship.
Incredible machines.

I'm into Tabletop Role-playing games (think D&D, but late 80s " old-school"), especially stuff that was cool and exciting in the 90s, like White Wolf World of Darkness games. I've played and ran these games since around the same time I started keeping fish, but haven't had a group since COVID hit, and haven't played at all for almost a year now, as I grew disenchanted with online play.
I am also a massive boardgame fan, my favourites are RoboRally, Settlers of Catan, Carcassonne, and more recently, Terraforming Mars and Clans of Caledonia, but I'm always trying out new games.
Finally, I really enjoy whisky; living in Scotland has been very good (or very bad) for this: I have access to whisky like never before!
I don't know if it counts as a hobby, but I really enjoy cooking!

Trappist Westvleteren is brewed by the monks of the Sint-Sixtus abbey.

One of Belgium's most priced and exclusive beers brewed in a limited edition. The sale of the beer is not for commercial purposes and is available only to individuals who have registered in advance. Also, the maximum amount you can buy is strictly limited... Nowadays they offer orders with home delivery but also very limited and P&P is quite pricy. Collections need to be picked up personally at the Abbey anyway, so what the heck one of us just drove the 300km to pick it up ourselves... :) You really have to sit on top and watch it like a hawk, as we say it's sold out within a "sigh and a fart". A wooden crate with the deposit is +/- €70 when picked up personally.

Was it worth all the hassle? From one beer lover to another "Hell yes!" :woot: You need to even if it's only once in a lifetime. A beer you'll never forget, getting your hands on it is already an adventure makes drinking it even more special.

Actually from Dover to the Saint Sixtus Abbey is a shorter route.

Oh, man... Trappist Westvleteren... best beer ever. I have always wanted to make the trek to the abbey and get my own case.

Oh, man... Trappist Westvleteren... best beer ever. I have always wanted to make the trek to the abbey and get my own case.

Last week I discovered that they changed the distribution policies... Because they discovered that shops ordered cases as private and were still selling them on to third parties. So they decided to go commercial as well with fewer restrictions and now any licenced liquor shop can order...

I live in Belgium and never tried this one.
But I can recommend Orval which is one of the most recognized beer here. Really tasteful. And anything from the Dupont brasserie especially the Moinette which is my favorite beer.

I live in Belgium and never tried this one.
I highly recommend you do! I've tried Orval and I'd say that the flavour profile of Westvleteren is similar, although the latter is my favourite.

Last week I discovered that they changed the distribution policies... Because they discovered that shops ordered cases as private and were still selling them on to third parties. So they decided to go commercial as well with fewer restrictions and now any licenced liquor shop can order...

Ah, damn. Well, I still want to go... might be easier now that I don't have to choose a date, prebook, and give them my license plate number in advance. XD

Back