which co2 diffuser is best

Discussion in 'Carbon Dioxide (CO2)' started by rummy nose, 9 Nov 2009.

1. rummy nose

rummy nose Member

hoping to upgrade to a pressurised co2 system very soon, local lfs sells 2 kinds D-D & JBL.

the diffuser on the jbl set has a spiral type & the d-d type is a small plastic cup & disc type thing.

the shop says the spiral type is better than the cup but what do you guys think? :?

2. George Farmer

George Farmer Founder Staff Member

Cheap glass/ceramic diffusers work just as well, if not better, and look nicer.

You'll benefit from decent water circulation to ensure the CO2 microbubbles are distributed throughout the water column effectively.

3. rummy nose

rummy nose Member

6 of 1 & 1/2 dozen of the other really. ok thanks

ive just got a new Rio 240 with a 1000lph flow so it will give me a water turn over of just 4 & bit times per hour?

4. George Farmer

George Farmer Founder Staff Member

You may need to consider upping the flow if you're going to take the plunge into a heavily planted tank with CO2 injection etc.

The 10x rule works well for most applications, so 2400lph in your case.

You can achieve this with another powerhead or filter. An external filter is the weapon of choice for most in these cases, especially in a larger tank like yours.

I can recommend Eheim, or if you're on a tight budget, Fluval, JBL or TetraTec.

If you are stocking a low fish load then an appropriately rated Hydor Korilia powerhead would do the trick.

5. rummy nose

rummy nose Member

oh dear george, more money needs spent :rolleyes:
    you can tell by my sig that wife aint impressed :lol:

6. Nick16

Nick16 Member

yeah, rip the old useless juwel filter box out and get yourself 2 Ex1200's. Its exactly what i did and its the best choice i have made. (well i have sold the tank now) :lol: