• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Which regulator to buy?

Possibly. I'm not sure though you'd have to email Richard at aqua essentials to double check but that reg firs all uk fire extuinguishers and pub bottles etc so should do. Looks nice the bottle too. I'm thinking of getting mine coloured or something as a 4 foot black bottle doesn't quite cut it ha ha

Yeah that is a bit of a pain that they won't do that. Maybe have a look for a bottled gas company which supplies co2 for the pub trade and see if they will refill it for you? Does your LFS sell the canisters, if so maybe just buy it from them, even if it's a little more expensive then at least you won't have the worry of where to get it refilled.

Exactly, really is. Is more of a hassle having to go to a co2 supplier etc every time. So yes I was thinking the same thing Matt, that I may just have to buy the canister from the LSF. They do a JBL canister for £80 then refills for £15 and just give you anther bottle. But I may just get a 2kg canister for £145 if im going to do that cos then i dont have to keep going back all the time and re filling and paying 15 quid.

A 500g canister would last a while on your tank. But then again the bigger one would last a lot longer. Is your LFS not very nearby then?

Think im just going to see how I feel when i go into the shop and see which one I like the look of. The big one would last for ages and so I wouldnt have to worry about it at all. Im unsure at the moment, Will see. Yes it is quite near, about half an hour away.

Yeah that's the best thing to do. At least in a shop you can actually see what you're buying first. I hope you get it all sorted soon and good luck with it all!

Funny you should say that matt I've got silver spray paint too ha ha.

£145 quid for a FE? crikey!!! I paid 25 for my cylinder and the 7 for refills. If you think about it surely you'd be saving much more by buying a FE for say 30 pound then finding a supplier who will fill it for about ten squid? That seems a lot of money to pay for a 2kg bottle.

I would personally just go for the TMC they are £40 for the bottle then £10 a refill. For your tank you would probably only need to refill twice a year!

Hi Emyr,

It might be a good idea at looking at the cheaper FE route on two accounts. I'm not sure the UP regulator you're looking at would fit the TMC bottle. The standard threading for FE's is the DIN 477 connection which most of the ebay regulators seem to have. The TMC bottle has a CGA 320 threading. I'm sure there are converters around, but it might be less hassle and cheaper to just go with the FE.

I just googled fire extinguisher supplies in leicestershire (where I live) and quite a few options came up, dropped them an email and they even asked if it was for an aquarium, for such a niche hobby, we sure are prolific! :lol:

I now have a shiny new 5kg FE canister and refills are around £13 (this varies, but its a lot cheaper than when they're specifically branded for the aquarium trade!)

Just something else to consider :rolleyes:

Well, I got mine from:

Extinguish Fire Solutions ltd

However, I think it's best to look around locally so you don't have to travel far. I'm not sure about the canister you linked, although it would probably be fine. It's hard to say what type of connection it has as it's not listed in the description. If you wanted to buy it, I would check with the seller as that's the only problem I can see arising. CO2 is the same whether it comes out of a FE, Pub bottle or one labelled especially for aquarium use.

If you do go for it, I would check with local companies to see if they would refill it. Part of the advantage with going down the FE route is that won't be an issue. Only trouble with the FE is the gaudy red colour and having to tape the handle together so the CO2 continues to flow. I found the cost benefits far outweigh the aesthetic niggles though :thumbup:

Back