• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Which this light unit help?

Martin cape

Hi guys,

I want to replace my standard Juwel T5 light unit (2x 45w bulbs) with this one,

an All Pond Solutions light unit with 2x 39w bulbs which will be raised above the tank.

T5 Fish Tank Lights Two Bulbs - All Pond Solutions

Both units are same length but the All Pond one has built in reflectors. Is it worth changing to it as I am still getting bits of algae and I'm sure the light from the Juwel is too much.

If you are worried about algae, try reducing light on hours with the Juwel unit, if using reflectors remove them or bend them round to reduce the light or even put some diffuse/darkened plastic between tank and light.

Changing the light source is no guarantee it will cure algae, in fact might make it worse if the light output of the "modern" AllPondSolutions T5 units with reflectors is higher than the Juwel units.

Light is only on for 5 hours now.

Only thing I was thinking was new one will be 12w overall less. Plus it will be about 4 inches higher than at min.

Only thing I was thinking was new one will be 12w overall less. Plus it will be about 4 inches higher than at min.
And it might use more modern higher output tubes and has reflectors so will probably make the situation worse. I suggest you try and fix the algae issues working with what you already have, will be a lot cheaper.

It would give me more versatility with the tubes I could use would it not? Normal 39w tubes can be bought for as little as a fiver lol

It would give me more versatility with the tubes I could use would it not? Normal 39w tubes can be bought for as little as a fiver lol
Versatility for what ? Algae growth ? Arcadia make Juwel length T5 (& T8) tubes as well. I use Arcadia tubes in my Vision 180.

Having a light fixture that can be raised or lowered at will could be very useful. It allows for further tweaking, and can only be of benefit to getting healthy growth. An open topped tank is much more enjoyable to look at too. You really should be looking at getting your CO2 levels right too, though. It is most likely this that is causing your algae problem.

My co2 level is fine. Drop checker is like green all the time when lights are on and I have 3 power heads spreading the flow.

I can't do anything else regards flow and co2 :(. Only leaves light really.

I presume you're using 4dkh solution in your drop checker? If not, it will make the reading inaccurate.

As I mentioned earlier, a light fixture you can raise or lower will make everything easier to control. Light levels are easier to get right than CO2.

Yea it's 4dKH in there pal.

I don't think it can be raised and lowered. I think it's in a fixed position but 4-5 inches higher than my current bulbs. I like the idea of open top as I've just got some lily bulbs growing :)

I hung my light using hooks in the ceiling and chain from B&Q. I adjust the heigh by putting the hook through a different link. Very handy :)

I wouldnt change your bulbs.Im getting algae issues in a 220 ltr running two 24 watt t5 over two ft deep of water.:) well about 20 inches average if you take the gravel into consideration. I've reduced light which didn't help just held the plants back. Both my drop checkers in different corners are in the yellow.As its a 2 ft cube with a huge piece of wood in the co2 flow is far from perfect.:)

It's getting annoying now. I keep getting BBA on the edges of my crypts, Anubis leaves and HC stems. Everything is moving in the flow, drop checker is a nice lime green colour and the light is only on for 5 hours a day.

EI dosing is takin place as well. I don't know what I can do. I'm spoiling things :(

Chin up mate, I'm in the same place at the moment, I waiting for some pink rams horns hoping they will help things bba wise :) I ripped my whole tank apart and scrubbed the wood and the tanks now a mess.OnOne thing I have done is upped my lighting hrs but I'm trying a 2 hr break in the middle. Things are looking better but that could just be the elbow grease.:) I've also switched to ei recently.

I've just had a larl clear out of the leaves with black edges.

I had covered one bulb to see if that helped. But, fish were gasping. Plants weren't producing enough oxygen for them. CO2 level was too high I think. Not enough being used I would say.

Back