• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Will C02 help??

Phil63

Hi guys,
I'm after some advice as to whether to put my C02 kit back in my tank.
I took it out as I was trying to grow some more difficult plants as an absolute beginner and it caused me all kinds of issues. I ended up removing it all, getting some nice easy to grow plants and my tanks been doing fine ever since. I'm just wondering now though, what if I put it back in. Will my plants grow nice and thick and green like they do in other people's pictures?! I have the kit but is it just going to make my plants grow even faster and give me more maintenance??
I'll add a couple of pics to show you how my plants look and hopefully you experts can let me know if you think it will help. Some of them look quite thin and very slightly yellow at the ends. My tank is a tall tank and it's around 45 cm from the substrate to the top and I'm using 2x fluval 32 watt fresh and plant lights. Maybe this could be a restricting factor?

Thanks in advance guys

Attachments

• IMG_20190107_164917.jpg
    IMG_20190107_164917.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 132
  • IMG_20190107_164946.jpg
    IMG_20190107_164946.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 104
  • IMG_20190107_164951.jpg
    IMG_20190107_164951.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 105
Hi,

Your plants look pretty good, the yellowing suggests perhaps you need to feed the plants a little more.

're co2, in my experience adding co2 now the tank is established is less tricky. Just add the co2 but don't change anything else, especially dont increase light. Because you know that your current regime works and you have no serious algae issues so adding co2 should just make it worker better. In the fullness of time you could try increasing light if there's a reason to do so.

With co2 you should get faster growth and more maintenance will be required, so decide if you can be bothered with that before you add it.

I.assume you have a 'normal co2 setup?

K

Morning guys, thanks for the responses!
I think the plants look better in the photos than they do in real life (reminds me of Tinder). They're certainly not as green as they look on here but it's the pits that look thin that I'd like to improve.

Interesting point about the feeding, that's something that I don't do. In the past I have EI dosed ferts but the plants grew so fast it was crazy. Within 4 days they needed cutting back and as much as I love my tank, that's a little too much maintenance.

Is there a more subtle way than EI?

I have a fire extinguisher C02 setup with a solenoid on a timer and in inline diffuser.
Thanks,
Phil

Hi, the more subtle way than EI is just to feed less. EI is basically feeding in excess of what could ever be needed so in theory there is no chance of nutrient deficiency.

But just get a complete feed, like TNC complete, and feed as instructions (at the r3commed3d dose I believe it's about one third EI levels). If plants need more they will tell you (as they are now with the yellowing).

But if you hate maintenance, don't do things that make your plants grow faster!:)

Thanks for the advice Kezzab, much appreciated. I'll give it a go with 1/3 for a few weeks and see if that helps without setting up the C02.

Maybe it's just the food that they are lacking.

You can still use CO2, which will of course help your plants but not at the EI requiring 30ppm and mega lighting levels.

Some people run their tanks at say 15ppm CO2, lower lighting and lesser fertilisation.

To get your drop checker to be green at 15ppm just dilute the indicator solution 50:50 with distilled water. Or for 10ppm dilute 2:1 distilled water:indicator.

Just make sure your lighting is at "lower levels" and you dose fertiliser and you are good to go.

That sounds like a great idea. I never really thought of scaling everything back in that way and diluting the indicator is something I never considered.
It's not that I hate maintenance bit as my tank is tall with a relatively small footprint, after 4 days the plants have grown across the surface and are blocking the light. It's also in an alcove with restricted access so maintenance once a week would be ideal.

Anyway, thanks for the help - this place is awesome

Back