• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Windswept Eternity

OK...OK...all right already...:D

(Haha...I like my grommets, it took an age to source the right sized ones and the saw so they'd fit nice and snug:p)

Radion hung...eventually...3rd time lucky:banghead::arghh::rolleyes:

Scaping...the progress so far - be gentle it's a work in progress, although this time I'm going for the less is more approach...considering stuff like is the glass free of hardscape and easy to get to for maintenance etc...

Oh by the way this scape shall henceforth be known as...Windswept.
26386166556_ce0bcef2e9_c.jpg
26368605266_afa6986d05_c.jpg
26345926761_0286f0b812_c.jpg

Last edited:
Awesome caves there - have you thought about fish?
(just wondering if you designed the cave with a certain fish in mind :))

So fantastic to see this going along now!
Hi alto, thanks...not really, but what sticks in my mind is George's Shallow...which is the tank I'm using for this scape.
When I first saw it, it was kinda like the video below and the fish would hide in a hollow under the tree stump, so we only got to see them on their own terms.

This lump of manzi is very similar in that it has loads of hidey-holes and hopefully it'll make the critters I choose feel at home by providing bolt-holes.
I'm thinking microrasbora or celestial pearl danio for this scape....although I have school of a dozen T. espei in my low-energy which would also be great.

http://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/a-short-video-of-my-60cm-shallow-by-dan-crawford.21683/

Last edited:
I really liked the first and last scapes, both very unique......

Cracking hardscape, this is going to be epic! Is that manzanita being swirled by the wind?

What 's the planting plan?!

Hi Joe, thanks, and yes it is manzi a large lump and 2 twiggy bits screwed on.

As for planting - not totally decided yet but the possibilities are seemingly endless so I'm inclined to try and let this evolve a lot; a constant changing palette of plants.

But I'll be putting stems behind the wood, which I'll let grow emersed and hopefully flower. So far I've had some great recommendations here http://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/emersed-growth-flowers.40665/#post-441485

The rest of the planting will probably be kept low maybe HC cuba, some Eleocharis mini, Staurogyne repens, Hydrocotyle sp."Japan", sort of thing, perhaps with the occasional small red stem here and there like Ludwigia sp mini Super Red, or maybe a cushion of H. micranthemoides.

I'm keen to try some of the very small buces as well and will be tying moss to some of the branches and bits of rubble. I may also try some Utricularia graminifolia.

And, I also have the option of growing a whole heap of bog plants on the wood above the waterline, of which there is plenty:)

Realy awsome wood choise Tim.. What about a top view, would love to see. Looks like you created something like a bowl shaped puddle on top centre going emersed..

If you go for UG you realy should place it top of the wood into moss at the waters edge.. There it's be on it most natural spot able to choose by itslef where it wants to go. As long as the water contains enough microbials it's definitely going to grow on submersed. The emersed portion might even flower for you, Ug flowers are like litle orchid flowers. I'm growing it like that, tho didn't flower yet, seems to need a year to mature, maybe i'm in for th etreat this summer. It's funny to see, the UG is a good indicator for the tanks microbial live, at times it explodes submersed like a hanging garden and then retreats again only to emersed if something as a mis or to much. It probably is the batlling algae with glut, this maybe kille more than just algae but also declines microbe population. Have very little submersed UG left, but emersed it's unstopable. :)

Here a pic of my hanging garden of Moss, HC and UG they support eachother perfectly submersed as well as emersed, the same portion is also growing above the waterline. I had 10 x more UG submersed here, but for some reason it retreated back.. I guess not enough food anymore.. Yet do not know why and what it's telling me. But it definitely indicates something.. But still enough there as you can see. :)

Subm
DSCF6440 (Kopie).JPG

Em
DSCF6444 (Kopie).JPG

Oh scheis, wrong topic, but the top plant is Bog Pimpernell, should flower with small purple flowers one day. I hope.. :)

Thanks Daniel and Paraguay that really nice of you to say so.
And Marcel...wow, that's amazing, thanks for the info; I may well have a go at that. Like you mentioned it's definitely more exciting to give the plants free rein to do as they want.
It's the same with gardening, I prefer evolution not revolution, so does Darrel;) http://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/get-your-garden-out.32287/page-2#post-344268

P.S. The top of the wood isn't a massive round hollow the wood is kinda 2 dimensional but there are still a load of nooks and crannies for planting...I'll post a pic later.

Last edited:
Can't wait to see what you come up with.. This layout is just awsome.. :clap:

Indeed nice way to say it evolution not revolution.. :) Regarding UG i gave up the idea to force it to grow where it doesn't occure naturaly.. In nature it does the same, it's an affixed aquatic, starts terrestrial and when conditions are favorable it spread submersed and goes back and forth this way.. I had it reaching down to th esubstrate one day on it's own. I did something to make it stop, but dunno what.. But growing it like this, it might do it again, there is always a healthy fresh supply available. Growing as it pleases.

Ps Ok i kinda looked like that from the angle you shot it.. I thought there might be a little substrate pocket an inch bellow the waterline. An idea i'm still playing with in my head.
And regarding you flower question.. If it was a substrate pocket, it would be perfect for something probably never seen before. I yet not encounter the hardware for this idea. Yours looked like comming very close.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nymphaea_thermarum But :shh: ( I know a nursery cultivating it, yet not ordered the plant.)

Back