• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

WTB: dual stage regulator, need some advice

Gilles

I want to buy a new CO2 regulator, and i am thinking of buying a dual stage regulator while i'm at it. Now i have a few conditions; it must fit a EU CO2 cillinder (DIN477 / W21.8) and it must be powered by a 240v Solenoid.

I've found this one, claiming to be a dual stage regulator, but neither the price nor the pictures convince me it is a dual stage... I mean; dual stage regulators in the US cost at least 255$ commercially and they are look a lot bigger (with back chamber). I've seen the thread about this regulator but even though customer service from CO2 art seems to be superior i really do want a dual stage regulator..

http://www.co2art.co.uk/collections...l-stage-regulator-and-solenoid-magnetic-valve

Hope you can help me, i don't trust myself to DIY one, so any commercial variant would be welcome or an offer to DIY one for me :)

Last edited:
Looks dual staged to me. The blue knob has an indicator showing which way to turn it for more working pressure (the circles). And the knob has a rough edge for finger gripping.

Perhaps it only looks small because the needle valve is at the back? The design is a little uncommon.

Hi Gilles

the one you link is a dual stage dual gauge regulator... and it is very cheap compared to other dual stage regulators you can see on the internet. It works, plenty of users here have it but don't expect a dual stage regulator like the ones mentioned in american forums (these ones done with spare high quality/profesional pieces... the price of a professional needle valve can double the price of the whole set you link). But as Ian says, do you really need it? I have (for 2 years if I'm not wrong) a dual gauge single stage regulator with solenoid from CO2 Art (used with their CO2Art inline atomizer) and I have never had any problem, even when the gas pressure was decreasing.
IMO the point is to buy a good needle valve (the one included is not accurate), and CO2Art sells one that works fine (SMC needle valve) although not included in that set.

Jordi

With my single stage once the tank pressure starts dropping significantly below standard 800psi, my bubble rate does tail off and I have only a couple of days CO2 left. Never had end of tank dump, bubble rate just gets slows until tank is empty.

With my single stage once the tank pressure starts dropping significantly below standard 800psi, my bubble rate does tail off and I have only a couple of days CO2 left. Never had end of tank dump, bubble rate just gets slows until tank is empty.
+1 and mine is the cheapest one you can get. Its from CO2 art as well.

And mine is using the built in needle valve and have absolutely no bubble rate control issues. I can vary bubble rate from "1 bubble per I can't be a**ed to time it seconds" to so many bubbles my tank looks like a Jacuzzi....Currently set to 1-2 bubbles per second what ever that means, but mainly green -> yellow drop checker at lights on.

I have had severe bubble rate control issues many times and each time it is because I have had CO2 leaks. I have had leaks from every piece of CO2 equipment and every joint at one time or another. Once fixed bubble rate goes back to 100% controllable. Job done. :)

I think many of our regulators have a fixed output pressure of 3.5 bars etc (the ones from CO2art). The end of tank dump thingy I think is a myth or maybe it happens if you don have that output pressure set and just have a valve to control CO2 flow.

And mine is using the built in needle valve and have absolutely no bubble rate control issues. I can vary bubble rate from "1 bubble per I can't be a**ed to time it seconds" to so many bubbles my tank looks like a Jacuzzi....Currently set to 1-2 bubbles per second what ever that means, but mainly green -> yellow drop checker at lights on.
I used the built-in needle valve for one year, but when they offered the SMC one I purchased it and IMO its is worth it. I keep my bubble rate between 2 and 3 bps depending on the plant biomass (that is, from the "just trimmed" to the "need to be trimmed" situations) and with this one is fairly easy to increase, let's say 10 bubble per minute if desired, thus it is really easy to fine tune the bubble rate between 2 and 3 bps.

I have had severe bubble rate control issues many times and each time it is because I have had CO2 leaks
Yes, that's a nightmare sometimes but now it is part of the routine to check all this with a soapy solution. When the cylinder pressure decreases I can notice a slight a variation in the bubble rate along a week or 10 days (maybe it decreases 10-15 bubbles per minute). When there's a leak, such variations may occur in a time lapse of just one day.

Honestly I think there is no need to have a 250€ regulator unless you are a pro and you are scaping several tanks for different customers or similar situations in which you cannot make any mistake or you cannot have a look to the bubble counter frequently.

Jordi

Back