• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

DIY Project DIY ADA Style Aquarium Stand

thinking of this varnish marine quality for boats (wont let me post link but its yacht varnish from screwfix for £10)

and I like this paint colour (from b and q called Dulux Silk Emulsion Paint Chic Shadow 2.5L)

opinions ?

Are you putting the cabinet in the tank or are you intending to fill your kitchen with water. If floods hit, dibs on a seat on your cabinet

lol its cheaper than ronseal etc only £10 so why not lol should be good you think mate ?

Ha.
Yacht varnish is supposed to be for external timber components. Probably a touch excessive.

A few coats of even water based paint will give you a level if water resistance. Then just use a couple of topcoats of quick drying 20 min varnish if you please.
Doing coats of heavy varnish at this Time of year will take ages to dry in between :)

Chic shadow??? Looks grey

How about a nice purple?

You gonna build a light suspension arm as well dean? It would complete the look :D

Sent from my GT-I9505G using Tapatalk

firstly Darren :eek: want a grey colour now lol and ali was going to ask what I should do as have quite a bit left over mdf ? any ideas do you mean a box to hold the lights ? any other ideas

also you think the colour is too light (chick shadow ) do you prefer the lighter or darker greys?
also need to fill my 60p tomorrow as never tested for leaks yet :eek:

thanks dean

Hopefully get some done this week obviously needs holes counter sunk and some filled as was hitting other screws, there looked like a crack in the Mdf from a screw before put top on but hopefully ok, think going to take apart and Sind sides down etc, are u priming all panels when deprecate before joining together rob ?

Thanks Dean

Nice one Dean :) I'm assuming deprecate should say separate? lol. If so no, mine is already glued, screwed, filled and sanded off. I've just got my edges to sand then will undercoat. Still not decided what with yet. Tempted to go with 75/25 emulsion/water mix for primer. I'll just do as many coats as it takes to be right. Guessing this will be the time consuming bit lol

depreciate lol predictive text yeah was separate I might remove my panels one at a time and countersink all screws and fill in and sand then do primer etc, aslong as all outside totally sealed shouldn't have to seal the edges interally really so should be fine to seal etc when together :D looking forward to getting done really easy to assemble, when I looked at mine without top the mdf did have a crack in middle but should be ok when glued and screwed you think

Dean

I've not seen MDF crack, did you pilot the screw holes? At the end of the day Deano I've got 80 x 40cm going on mine from same thickness MDF and slightly bricking it that it won't be strong enough lol, there's 20kg+ of mini landscape rock to go in plus 30 litres substrate and 130 litres of water. Just got to have faith! :D

I'd build it then paint it. No point spending time painting what you will never see :)

agreed mate have a look at the dulux urban obsession I quite like that colour what you think ? and think I may over do with Yacht varnish as cheap from screwfix and will be water tight lol

dean

Urban obsession looks great, but it only needs to please you. I'd have plum if it pleased me, it doesn't, would please the missus but it's my feckin fish tank lol. She suggested bowler hat (very dark) so I'm more than happy with that :) I'd listen to Nath ref the varnish. I vanished some mdf shelves a while ago with Ronseal quick dry varnish and it was ideal ;)

cheers mate just thought better to be safe lol will keep you upto date anyway and you keep us upto date on here aswel get some pics up when get a chance mate

one quick thing you think 1.25L tub will do ?

I've no idea how much lol. Varnish goes a long way and think i still have some of the Ronseal left, hopefully enough to do my cabinet. I'll post up when i have progress, but just a lot of sanding to get through first :)

no the paint I mean ? also you think glossy or matt varnish

Dean

Sorry Dean, i really don't know mate, I'll worry about that when i get there lol. Different sized cabinets bud :)

Sgt Oddball from Kelly's Heros:

'Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?' :) ;) :)

You'll both be just fine

glossy or matt varnish
How about satin? not glossy but not matt.....

I've got 80 x 40cm going on mine from same thickness MDF and slightly bricking it that it won't be strong enough lol, there's 20kg+ of mini landscape rock to go in plus 30 litres substrate and 130 litres of water. Just got to have faith! :D
HaHa I've got a 70x70mm frame for my mdf to go onto as mine will be 80x60cm and I'm bricking it!

Back