• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

1000+

I moved to my new house and placed my old tank back for now. I already bought the pumps (really silent!), LED floodlights (really bright!) and some other stuff for my new tank. The final measurements are 195x70x75, A little high for maintenance, but it will look much more impressive I guess. Time to think about the style/colors of the stand.

The return pipes will just be set by whatever pump you're using.

Obviously smaller is going to reduce flow. Going bigger will do something to the pressure I think, I can't remember exactly without trawling through my notes, but sure you'll lose more flow vs head height or something along those lines?? o_O

Just stick with whatever the pump is designed for anyway :thumbup:

How are you getting on with this?

Well, I'm still finishing the house after my recent move. I made a separate electric group for the new aquarium so far. Will install cold and hot water and a connection to the sewer next month. After that, make some holes trough the wall between the living room and filterroom. Order the frame and tank, and start building a cabinet around it will hopefully be finished before new year. No hurry, except in my head:p

I was calculating, the overflow pipe diameter etc. I was wondering, about the return pipes. Each return pipe will get a return pump that pumps max 6000 LPH (1500 GPH). After losing some to head pressure etc. What would be the minimum/ideal pipe diameter for the return pipes?
25mm

Because your pumps are rated at 1500gph.
If you want to use hard pluming then any elbows will reduce flow, try to find bends in preference to elbows.
Certain pumps will deal with pressure far more that others, really depends on power rating & impeller design.
No conclusive answer without far more information but 25mm is pretty standard for 1500gph flow rate.

Because your pumps are rated at 1500gph.
If you want to use hard pluming then any elbows will reduce flow, try to find bends in preference to elbows.
Certain pumps will deal with pressure far more that others, really depends on power rating & impeller design.
No conclusive answer without far more information but 25mm is pretty standard for 1500gph flow rate.
But would it hurt if I take for example a 100mm pipe (I know, the outflow of the pump is smaller so will be the bottleneck). Would it be better or would it fire backwards?

Dawkinsia rohani or puntius filamentosus or any other similar fish will plough through your plants
Haha thnx for the heads up! I specially imported them at my lfs. 5 min in the tank the Hygrophila corymbosa (not generally a very eatable plant) was only a twig! So I already found out the hard way

I did expect them (being a barb) to pick a leaf or two, but this was insane! I fed them really well with bloodworms, tossed a Lobelia in the tank 5 min after feeding, 10 min later it was gone

So I've a few new options, but not sure which it will be:
- Moenkhausia costae
- Thayeria obliqua
- Bathyaethiops breuseghemi
- Chilodus punctatus
- Kryptopterus bicirrhis

Hi all,
Chilodus punctatus
I like these, but I've never had a tank large enough to keep a good group of them. I think I've read somewhere that the usual species kept as C. punctatus is actually a closely related one, but I couldn't find the post

Larry Waybright ("Apistomaster") has kept (and bred them?), and he says they are quite effective as "green algae" eaters <http://www.planetcatfish.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=26270>.

cheers Darrel

Today I picked up a sump. It's a Juwel Rio 400. I was designing the exact measurements of the compartments. I was thinking about spacing the baffles 5cm apart. Any idea whether that would be enough on a 50cm width sump with max 10.000 L/h flow? Or can I space them closer to each other? And how much cm does every baffle needs to drop?

Back