• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

60cm "quemador lenta"...tank finished.

Re: 60cm new ferts and update pics "quemador lenta"

Antoni Dimitrov said:
I like the pink effect of the water surface too! It makes it looks so natural, as you are underwater!

cheers mate. I look at amano's water ripple effect and it's just perfect. Often under looked amongst the hobbyist. I want to play around and get some great colours and ripples.

Antoni Dimitrov said:
The moss looks like is doing well.

very slowly it is. I had new growth early on, but then diatoms hit. I need to trim the old off, and let the new growth come through. :thumbup:

Mark Evans said:
Antoni Dimitrov said:
I like the pink effect of the water surface too! It makes it looks so natural, as you are underwater!

cheers mate. I look at amano's water ripple effect and it's just perfect. Often under looked amongst the hobbyist. I want to play around and get some great colours and ripples.

I love to try this as well. I intend to play around with the strobes and some gels to see if such an effect can be achieved that way, or it will be only possible by using conventional ligthing...

Mark Evans said:
very slowly it is. I had new growth early on, but then diatoms hit. I need to trim the old off, and let the new growth come through. :thumbup:

In my experience the moss is establishing relatively slow, but once it does, will be hard to stop it spreading everywhere :D

Antoni Dimitrov said:
In my experience the moss is establishing relatively slow, but once it does, will be hard to stop it spreading everywhere

How long to adapt?

You cant see in this image, but there's real fine diatoms. The fluffy type.

moss-2-1.jpg

it doesn't cover everything, just the odd bit here and there, but i hate it :twisted:

I think the best thing i can do is trim it heavy.

The crypt undulatus red is looking fabulous...all 3 leaves, like plastic :D

Mark Evans said:
Antoni Dimitrov said:
In my experience the moss is establishing relatively slow, but once it does, will be hard to stop it spreading everywhere

How long to adapt?

moss-2-1.jpg

it doesn't cover everything, just the odd bit here and there, but i hate it :twisted:

I think the best thing i can do is trim it heavy.

The crypt undulatus red is looking fabulous...all 3 leaves, like plastic :D

I got a stupid question for you, Mark. :D When you say the fluffy type of diatoms, is it like rather short, curly, brown threads?

JEK said:
When you say the fluffy type of diatoms, is it like rather short, curly, brown threads?

kind of. a bit slimy brown. I've had it in the last 3 tanks on start up.This case, isn't no where near as bad as it's been before though...thankfully.

it does go, but it's so frickin annoying. especially with moss.

i'm the diatom king :lol: .
so you overcome it by WC's everyday ?.do you do these in the evening and when do you dose ferts.

stunning photo's as usual.

Mark Evans said:
JEK said:
When you say the fluffy type of diatoms, is it like rather short, curly, brown threads?

kind of. a bit slimy brown. I've had it in the last 3 tanks on start up.This case, isn't no where near as bad as it's been before though...thankfully.

it does go, but it's so frickin annoying. especially with moss.

Sounds like it could be the same I have in my 30 cm. I totally agree, it's really annoying. :twisted:

Love that ripple photo. I am getting this slimy brown algae on almost every tank on start up as well. Noticed that liquid carbon kills it easily and it does not come back after.

Could always shout abuse at it??

Never helps me but makes feel like I've tried... :D

Mark Evans said:
Antoni Dimitrov said:

How long to adapt?

I believe in about 4-5 weeks it should be ok, at least that was my case, the moss is a slow grower.

Adding liquid carbon will certainly help. I have been adding some liquid carbon in my tanks from day one.. not localy on the diatoms, just splash in the daily portion. It helps to control any kind of algae in the initial period IMO.

If you treat the moss localy with LC against algae, I'm afraid it could affect the moss too.

Regards

George Farmer said:
Not sure if this has been discussed but I've found Amano shrimp very helpful with this 'fluffy brown' algae.

i'm getting 12 on Saturday, just to help out.

Antoni Dimitrov said:
I believe in about 4-5 weeks it should be ok, at least that was my case, the moss is a slow grower.

Thanks mate :thumbup:

Piece-of-fish said:
Noticed that liquid carbon kills it easily and it does not come back after.

I've not used it in nearly 9 months or so. Looks like I'll have to get it out. 8)

nelson said:
so you overcome it by WC's everyday ?.do you do these in the evening and when do you dose ferts.

water changes are keeping it to a minimum, definitely. it's 3 weeks old now, so i'm sure i'm at the end of the mini battle.

I dose ferts right after a water change, which happens in the evening.

The last 2 days, I've increased the light intensity...mad i know, but it's done wonders for my moss, and the diatoms, seem to be on their way out.

I've also bought 6 amano shrimp, currently acclimatising.

released the shrimp and BANG! their straight on it. :D

i'm going to get another 12 on saturday.

Mark Evans said:
released the shrimp and BANG! their straight on it. :D

i'm going to get another 12 on saturday.
Glad to hear that. I'll be getting some amanos for my nano, next week. I have plenty of food for them. :lol:

Re: 60cm "quemador lenta" overcoming diatoms

JEK said:
I'll be getting some amanos for my nano, next week. I have plenty of food for them.

There doing there bit in the tank, thats for sure. maybe a 3rd cleaner than it was yesterday.

After increasing the light intesity, i lowered it again last night...no point in pushing too hard too soon.

Again, daily W/C seems to be doing the trick.

_MG_1333IAPLC2.jpg

Tony Swinney said:
Are the amanos OK with that colour drop checker ?

you got me all paranoid there Tony :lol: i had to go and check! just counted them all, and their grazing on the wood and moss. :thumbup:

Lovely pic Mark,

Good choice with the amano's there a hungy little guys haha. I had few before but gave them away to my sister...wish I hadn't :) I will have to get a few more, are they okai with the co2?

Cheers mate.

Back