• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

800 ltr

Put the sand under the substrate, that's what I have done. Originally I put sand on top of Fluval substrate, but after a couple of months the substrate worked its way to the surface so had to hike it all out and sieve it and put back other way round.

Hope you are not snookering the flow of your lovely FX6 in pushing flow through 22/16mm fixings. Area of FX6 pipe is 490sq mm and 22/16 Hydor is a lowly 200sq mm a 60% flow reduction. Your FX6 will not be happy having its flow reduced by so much.

Its says.." Important: Reducing capacity by more than half should be avoided for the following reasons: running noise may increase, the service life of the rotor may be shortened and the cooling required when the pump head is in operation is no longer reliably guaranteed."
No I've not reduced the pipe' I'm using 2x 204fluval for the heater and co2. The FX6 has not been messed with

I'll get some better pics on once it's clears a bit.

I've no pumps running yet I'm worried IT will up root the hair grass. I was thinking of playing it safe and tomorrow day conect the co2 and pumps?

Thinking of a large shoal of rummy noise and cardinals' a few rainbow fish and peacock goby, need get my head around this co2 first. A bit worried I'll gas my fish out. I'm running my co2 high at the moment. Trying kick start my plants

3 month later.
I'm struggling get this hair grass to carpet. It's shooting out runners extremely slow. I'm wondering if you have any tips on getting this to grow!
F48CC676-89AF-4CEF-8F88-4DAE80B94933_zpsbnx912dz.jpg

I'd say that your going to need more lght intensity to get that hairgrass carpeting better. Not so much a longer photoperiod but a good hour or so with rather higher intensity lighting. Can you add a couple more lights to your rail? Not forgetting CO2 of course...

When I turn the lights up I get algae! They are running on 50% at the moment

When I turn the lights up I get algae! They are running on 50% at the moment

Yes it's a juggle eh?! That's why I was suggesting intense lighting for only a brief part of the photoperiod as in my experience that seems to boost the plants far more than the algae. You could just plant a lot more of it to get a ready made almost carpet and let that slowly grow in...

Back