• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

800 ltr

Well should be flat & level then, these type of tiles should be laid on self levelling compound.

If not (why not), then 18mm ply base with packing laths across each flag is the way forward.

I am not convinced that the bare ends of the 2x3 (?) timber you have used should be placed directly on tiles as if for what ever reason there is no grout under a tile, it will most likely crack the tile as well as providing a handy sponge for any spilt water to be absorbed by.
The floor is almost like a wave affect. Problem is moving the tank and having some were for the tank to stay for a few days until the cement went off. Only way I think would be to lay several straps of cement and sit the 18mm ply on and set it level and then build the frame on top of the level board. It's a bloody lot of work involved and I have 5 ppl living in my house. It would completely take up the living roof for a few days. Am I just being paranoid about it collapsing or what?
I've got a company coming out tomorrow to fit out the doors on the front to make this look like furniture. Ha ha the stress one takes on' I get enough of my kids

How about strapping more 4x2 to the legs and bracing it across the 4x2 that runs across the floor? Will this help spread the weight?

B7BC5950-71EC-488A-BD0C-668FD8146FFA.jpg

Will this help spread the weight?
Slightly, but how are you going to attach it to the existing leg without compromising the strength of that leg by drilling holes in it and find suitable bolts/screws that will take the shearing force.

Remember this is going to be over 900Kg, maybe even more, even 1000Kg taking into account tank weight and substrate. You are going to be applying 1000Kg over 7 ends of 4"x2" wood which I am sure is not good. However the 1000Kg shouldn't be an issue on a solid floor.

Here is a stand for 700litre tank using 4x2 timber the load being transferred into horizontal members. The 2nd 4x2 behind the 6 legs isn't really load bearing but stops the load bearing 4x2 bowing and stops the whole structure folding to the left or right.

You really need something like this, with maybe 8 legs. Remember water proofing as well as I 100% guarantee you will be spilling water one day....eg disconnecting you inline diffuser without draining the pipes first...:banghead:

http://cnidarianreef.com/G180/

stand02.jpg

http://www.reefaquarium.com/2013/building-a-aquarium-stand/

Wow what an interesting read! I wish you all the best with this tank and good luck, but if you are having doubts then you need to have them put to rest. Like others have said a structural engineer might be worth a call. Even try get someone out with experience with these builds to check over your stand.

Ian is right, 1000kg is a lot of weight and will do massive amounts of damage if the stand buckles or breaks. You said it yourself, 'this has potential to cause death'.

You may well be right in thinking your overthinking or worrying for nothing, but is it worth the risk??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've bought 2 acro today £80 for the pair and fitted them under the fish tank

0ADE2612-A2C5-46B5-BB2E-F895264A09D3.jpg

I've bought 2 acro today £80 for the pair and fitted them under the fish tank
Hmm this is serous now, my feeling is you really should get a structural engineer in to cast an eye over.

Using my limited trying to remember building knowledge and having used Acro's to help remove supporting walls.
- Acro's are temporary only.
- They do creep (actually usually the ground) and must be checked and tightened.
- You must fix the beam to the top of the Acro (big nails is fine) to stop the beam falling or "popping" out.
- What is floor end on ? Normally a timber sole plate (or cut off builder planks) a foot either side of the sole plate is/can be used.
- Your ceiling is angled, your beam isn't, a possible issue here, causing beam to pop out.

Looking at your arched ceiling and from what you have said I think your floor is plenty strong enough, it will be coming in at a couple of tons per sq meter already and adding another ton probably isn't really that much.

So rather than wrecking your room with Acro's maybe a structural engineer. Try local council for a number.

Hmm this will cost a few hundred pound for him/her say no don't do it' just to cover there own backs. it's looking like I've spent a hole lot of money for nothing

I just spent £200 on substrait :(

Last edited:
Do you have home insurance that covers water damage etc from aquaria? (only a couple providers offer this in my area, most won't insure the actual aquarium/contents but will cover house structure/furnishings etc)

Personally I would think your floor/house is fine. It looks like the wall behind your tank goes down into basement and is a supporting wall, thus putting tank next to it won't be an issue. Most of the floor and aquarium scare stories you read on the web are in US (or Canada) where wooden houses and wooden floors are almost 100% of housing stock and siting of big aquariums not in the basement is almost a builders job every time.

What I would be severely worried about is your stand is no where near "man enough" and isn't spreading the load properly and will be prone to twisting collapse and isn't water proof. You really need a stand (out of steel ?) like in the picture above spreading the load, probably 8 verticals of two pieces of 4x2 and 4x2 running horizontal along the floor spreading the load.

If you search the "Internet type thing" for leaking tanks, most cases where tanks are leaking at the silicone is where the silicone has torn due to tank twisting due to tank being sat on non flat or collapsing stand.

So I would concentrate on getting the stand correct and not worry (too much) about your aquarium making an unscheduled trip into the cellar.

Ian thanks for all your input, I've been on the phone to a structure engineer and just got of the phone to him. He advice not to do it with out taking up the flags and installing a steal frame under the tank. With the house and floor being over 100 years+ he mentioned about the material may have become porous. He did say it's a gamble. It may or may not take the weight. The only way to be 100% sure is to take up the floor and instal steal ( this will run in to 5k plus )
I'm really gutted about this now as I've spent so much but I'm not willing to put my family's lifes at risk. This could actually kill all my family if we are sat on the sofa and the floor shifts and we all end up in the basement with the huge tank on top of us. It's not worth thinking about.

So who Whats to buy a 7x2x2 tank :)

It's not a total waist as I'm going to buy a smaller one and put between my chimney stack. I'll just have a few pumps spare

This is a shame, but like you say, it is really not worth taking the risk. I'm sure you will get lots of pleasure from a smaller tank and seeing as this is your first planted aquarium, you may well have more success learning and making the mistakes on a smaller tank where it is easier to get flow and distribution right, then progress to a larger tank at a later date.

If the walls are sturdy enough you could have a frame welded and bolted to the wall, i have that at my work.
119929056.l3ZHSOMR.jpg

I had it made with a 400x50x50 cm tank in mind.
But a local blacksmith could make that frame (5x5 cm tube) and i used chemical ankers (dont know the english term). If need be make the bolt all through the wall and with a steel plate on the other side.

From my experience of Victorian housing stock in the UK, the walls are probably held up by the wallpaper and you really would not want to hang a picture on them, never mind a 1000kg fish tank :p

Can you put your tank in your basement ? Will most likely be a stronger floor there.

I really wish I could. The weight of this tank alone is so heave even I was struggling with it and I'm a big guy. We had 4 men on it ant it was not easy. They is no way of getting it down them stairs. It won't even fit through the doors. I could cut the door our and make a bigger frame but even if we got 8 guys and managed to get it down with out cracking the glass. I'd get no enjoyment out of it down there. I only go in the basement to do paperwork once per month

What are your walls made of ? Could you not build a frame (of 4x2) both attached to the wall (very long fixing bolts, even right through the wall) and a frame to the floor ?

Search around some of the US fish forums they have done some quite clever stuff to cope with monster tanks and poor quality houses.

However...

Your tank is 84" x 24" -> 2016sq in -> 1.3m2. Weight @ 1000Kg -> 770Kg/m3.

A big AEG freezer weighs 77Kg (just looked), assuming half its volume is water 0.5 x 229litres -> 114Kg of frozen stuff. Thus total weight -> 77 + 114 -> 185Kg.

Area is 0.6m x 0.64m -> 0.39m2. Thus 185Kg/0.39m2 -> 475Kg/m2.

The freezer figure weight per area is only 40% less than your tank and you don't hear any people having the freezer fall through the floor.

So again can't really see an issue, if you get the weight spread out evenly over the 84" x 24" area.

Seems a shame to have spent all this effort (and money) and not get passed stage 1....siting your tank.

Sorry to hear that you might be abandoning this project, but I must give you respect for your concern for your familys safety.
Do you think the shop will give you a refund as you havent used the tank yet. I think you will be better off starting with a smaller tank anyway. I bought a 200L tank off ebay about two years ago and I had no experience what so ever. I find a 200L tank is quite hard work to look after with all of the 50% water changes and adding chemicals, fertilizer and you are going to get through so much Co2 tyring to keep 800L of water.

Hope all goes well for you I would like to know how it all goes and what you finally end up with!

OMG, I just read this thread from the very beginning... It's really a shame you cannot even sit your tank! If I'm not wrong the investment for this tank is £2500
Do you have a garden? A guest house? A garage?

Jordi

Back