• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

ADA 60fs Last Chance

thanks guys I have money aside for tank so do aqua or ada which ever looks best really but do aqua is £35 cheaper so might go for that aslong as glass isn't too different, and agree with Sam you go to work to have nice things so why not buy nice things lol going to use landscaping rock from AE, I want fish in this scape within a month or so ;) , also foxfish you think the emersed growth will be ok till tank arrives and I get ordered, also you think 1 bag of ada substrate will be enough and what one you recommend

thanks dean

Keep your eyes open dean im sure alistair said aqua ones new range looked very smart and reasonably priced too
I dont want to offend you but I think your nuts buying an ADA tank and aquasoil considering whats happened with the other one. A higher plant mass will be much more beneficial than optiwhite glass.
My 35l was a nightmare with algae for a good 6 months when it had hardly any plants in then i added a few more pots and all my algae went away within 2 weeks. Im not a believer but perhaps twinstar could help, you've tried everything else.
Whatever you decide good luck

not necessarily getting ADA most likely do-aqua I think mate what substrate would you recommend instead if ADA aqua soil ? also I will be stocking heavily from the offset looking forward to it mate will also be doing a journal and getting everyones advice , going t drain water tonight and hope plants survive emersed for a week or so

Thanks dean

I've just bought some columbo florabase black for my next tank Dean, not used yet but looks great. Seems to be as well reviewed as tmc nutrasoil etc :)

I have always had good results with tmc nutrasoil mate. I think the only place you will notice the difference really as where the glass joins. I have one optiwhite tank and 6 standard glass tanks...(not all running :rolleyes: ) and really i cant see much difference you still get a great viewing experience. do! Aqua are nice rimless bracless tanks :)

Sent from my GT-I9505G using Tapatalk

I'm tight and use john innes 3 capped with sand, especially seeing how well it worked in dans 180, if i had harder tap water id use pond soil and osmacote or other root ferts.
Im convinced these potting soils produce co2 at substrate level which helps with carpet plants in the early days but don't have enough knowledge to back it up, i'm also convinced thar the DSM helps the substrate mature, to some degree, without affecting water quality but again not enough knowledge to back it up
I could just have got lucky a couple of times and my theories are just rubbish but it worked and Im on my third attempt now

Dean, I know you want to save your plants but honestly mate, I don't think anyone will be upset if you dump the ones you have left.
You have plenty of knowledge yourself, you have lots of options... just go for what you feel is right. :)
At the end of the day it is your money & your tank.

been looking at reviews etc and think this stuff looks good and cheaper than other substrates and 1 bag should do
http://www.aquaessentials.co.uk/caribsea-ecocomplete-9kg-p-190.html
also will try save plants of works great if not no worries going to start looking at plant choices etc and wil require few other bits and bobs maybe new filter wool as manky now been in there ages I seen a plant earlier a long grass like plant called bla???? something or other cannot remember name

Thanks dean

that's the one lol really like that looks great think will bring that into scape somehow behind rocks :D

ok thanks guys guess I wont go for that then lol just need a decent 9L or so sack of substrate good for plants, sachem fluorite one any good ? or nutribase

ok thanks guys guess I wont go for that then lol just need a decent 9L or so sack of substrate good for plants, sachem fluorite one any good ?
how about aqua soil on ebay? Alastair. Is using some on his 1300 litre.

Right now I have Colombo nutribase topped with florabase. Working well

Hope you don't mind me chiming in here Dean, I would go for tried and tested ADA Amazonia myself, it might be a tenner or so more but there's no doubt it works. I've got a 60P and one big bag is all you need.

When I bought my tank I was looking at the TMC signature but I would have had to drive to Birmingham so I decided to have a look at the DoAquas (as I live close to the Green Machine), they are good looking tanks, I wouldn't worry about the quality at all. In the end though I got the 60-P as it was only £129 in the shop (as opposed to £150ish online).

AQUA GRO PLANT SUBSTRATE AQUARIUM FISH TANK SOIL SHRIMP SAND PLANTS FERTILISER | eBay that must be the stuff Darren and ali mean ? seems to have good reviews
agree with you James its the postage etc what costs that's why will go with do aqua as the rest difference will buy substrate ;) I used ADA aqua soil powder last time and turned into clay lol very thin and dusy so just a little disheartened with it but sure the Africana normal soil is great stuff, the aqua gro on the link above is very cheap might email Alistair see how its going for him

Thanks again dean

I don't think he used it in the end mate. He may have a cupboard full of the stuff ;)

Sent from my GT-I9505G using Tapatalk

Dean, I also looked at that aquasoil. I think Alistair said he'd a mate who used it and it was actually quite mushy (probably not what you want lol).

I've gone through the same debate over and over on what to use, at the end of the day you have to get what makes you confident that you can try to do well in it. We know plants can be grown in inert substrate if dosing properly, but most folk use a planting substrate.

I always think of my days fitting TV aerials and delivering electrical goods, people would spend £000's on latest TV's etc and when we installed it the picture would be crap and we'd say you could do with a new aerial that would cost them £60/£70, the amount of people who declined through not wanting to spend the extra, amazing... lol :D. Liken that to the aquarium, tanks cost, filters cost, lighting costs, etc etc so when a substrate is a £10 cheaper than a proven well reviewed one you may leave yourself wondering about it which isn't a good place to be. I spunked £100 on 30L of the columbo stuff which is big gulp, but in the scheme of things i'm confident it will look how I want and provide everything I need to do what I want. The extra money is worth the peace of mind to me.

This is, of course, all just my novice opinion on these matters :)

Back