• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Amano Shrimp breeding project

@Animek87 Actually you are right about the algae and now I remember why I didn't start my project 2-3 years ago. I wasn't able to find a phytoplancton source here in Thailand.

@palcente What greenwater do you buy on ebay? Mind sharing a link?
Live phytoplankton, nanochlorosis kind. It's the stuff you feed the corals with. You just need a little bit, maybe 50ml. The smallest size they sell.

quick update on current batch

06/08/22 - eggs
31/08/22 07/09 - first Zoe transfer
27/09/22 - 14 morphed 1 dead
06/10/22 - 7 temporary jar
01/10/22 - change jar 0
06/10/22 - 5 main tank
totals :
morphed -
dead -
alive -

There's also a lot of zoe's which will morph any day

I'll update totals after this batch is done
currently I have 2 berried females which are releasing eggs and I've started transferring zoe's to the same tank as current batch.

I'm experimenting to see if there's enough food for new zoe's to survive as it would make my life easier and simplify the whole process
Also I'm having another go with growing phytoplankton (did succeed in the past on windowsill) fingers crossed

Only 2 berried most probably because of the temp 18-20 degree Celsius before was 22 degrees and 7 females had eggs under belly, its not bad as this is 3rd batch and its constant work around them so at least I'll have few weeks break (hopefully)

I'm also preparing 60l tank for all new baby amano's + bamboo shrimps

Last edited:
hi all final count for batch number 2 below, unfortunately experiment with rotifers failed and all Zoe's died

06/08/22 - eggs
31/08/22 07/09 - first Zoe transfer
27/09/22 - 29 morphed 1 dead
totals :
morphed - 30
dead - 1
alive - 29

I'll have to stick with the oryginal setup ( green water) then after 2-3 weeks adding rotifers

Piece of advice after i spot morphed Zoe's I've kept them in salt water for 3-4 days then transfer to freshly water (drip acclimatisation method) which resulted in 0 deaths

Many thanks to everyone who commented and was interested in reading this journal

Good luck everyone!!!!
16660012173686605322044994779440.jpg

60l
16660014838432997010420878319809.jpg

Well I'll have next batch soon as 5 females are berried again and yes I think rotifers ate all phyto and left nothing for babies which could not feed on them i plan to do phyto water and eventually introduce rotifers on week 3-4

Cheers

I was able to find a source of live nanochlorosis finally. It's been very painful to get a hold of it here in Thailand. For some reason the only 2 places I could find phytoplanctons only sold them as deactivated algae cells, so basically useless to culture. I was able to agree with one of them to sell me live ones. Now I need to set all up. Will probably open a new thread not to pollute your journal.

Last edited:
Back