• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Aquanano40 CRShrimp tank....Journal Closed.

Can't help but add pics of the shrimp as its so easy via the phone:

Couple more berried:

7edusenu.jpg

ebavapuz.jpg

And shrimplets feeding:

2emepugu.jpg

ry2u5upe.jpg

Tried to add video from the phone but I'm a technogo so failed!

Cheerio

Ady just wanted to say many thanks for posting this journal - its inspirational and very helpful for learning the ropes

Was a joy to read and this is how i stumbled upon UKAPS :)

Thanks again,

Murray

Crystal Red said:
Ady just wanted to say many thanks for posting this journal - its inspirational and very helpful for learning the ropes

Was a joy to read and this is how i stumbled upon UKAPS :)

Thanks again,

Murray

Hi Murray and welcome to Ukaps, it's a great source for all sorts of information aside from the obvious!
Pleased you have found the journal useful, hearing it helps others is great feedback so thanks for that :thumbup:
Enjoy reading around the site
Cheerio
Ady

Whitey89 said:
Looking good Ady! Mine is home to lots of babies now too! With 3 more berried :)

The little ones seem to be moulting ok too, I watched one :p

Great news Nath, look forward to some picture updates to the journal :thumbup:
Cheerio
Ady

Building up the numbers:

emydagy9.jpg

dy8e4u5y.jpg

agy3apet.jpg

Feeding them now that numbers have increased. Drop a few pellets in every 2-3 days to keep them satisfied, it's funny watching the adults nick off with the whole pellets and then the shrimplets crowding round for pickings and crumbs!

Still on 1ml day easy carbo and 1ml alternate days macro then micro ferts.
Water changes a little lax, maybe one every 2 weeks of 30%....needs to be more frequent than that with the greater numbers, subsequent waste and the fact that I'm feeding them now too. Should prob be doing 20-25% weekly with filter cleans too.

Cheerio
Ady

Looking healthy ady, really pleased to see your growing in population :) soon you will have enough to send to me for free ;) on the basis I stop my nano from being liquid carbon engulfed! Haha :) on a serious not Mate very cool to see so many bright and happy :)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

That looks stunning! I'm so envious!

Shrimp look so good in large numbers. Spot on mate, must be really enjoying the tank

jack-rythm said:
Looking healthy ady, really pleased to see your growing in population :) soon you will have enough to send to me for free ;) on the basis I stop my nano from being liquid carbon engulfed! Haha :) on a serious not Mate very cool to see so many bright and happy :)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Cheers Jack,
im sure youll sort your tank mate....no air freshners or the like anywhere near your tanks are there?

nayr88 said:
That looks stunning! I'm so envious!

Shrimp look so good in large numbers. Spot on mate, must be really enjoying the tank

Ive seen youve got your tank full now so wont be long until you have some too. I must admit its been a game of patience as i initially only bought 10 shrimp from FWS, I had to wait for them to mature, then saw a few berried then another month gestation, then nail biting times to see if the shrimplets survived......but its now paying off as im getting somewhere near having the masses that look so striking :)

LondonDragon said:
Apologies if already mentioned before, are you using RO or Tap? Tank is looking great and so do the shrimp :) congrats

Thanks Paulo,
good old northern tap water, comes out the tap at about 76ppm TDS. Dechlorinated the night before and left in the house to warm up to room temperature. Then i add some salty shrimp gh+ to get the TDS of the water change water to around 120ppm and do the water change.

Whitey89 said:
Definitely a beauty Ady! And reproducing like wild fire by the looks. Great success. Well done mate.

Saw another nearly all white newborn the other day too, which was exciting. :D

Cheers Nath, seems to be going well, but as the numbers increase and im having to feed them i may have to adjust my water change routine to ensure quality water.
Cool to be getting different strains from yours, suppose thats something to do with the lines and quality of the original stock?

Thanks all,
Cheerio,
Ady.

Ady34 said:
Thanks Paulo,
good old northern tap water, comes out the tap at about 76ppm TDS. Dechlorinated the night before and left in the house to warm up to room temperature. Then i add some salty shrimp gh+ to get the TDS of the water change water to around 120ppm and do the water change.
Lucky you, if only I could do that down here ;) time for a shrimp rack I would say ;)

Ill send you some down :lol:
They need to invent a gh- :idea:

I think ive got lucky really, i cant seem breed cherries :?

LondonDragon said:
Ady34 said:
Thanks Paulo,
Lucky you, if only I could do that down here ;) time for a shrimp rack I would say ;)

I'm currently getting 40tds out of the tap. My issue has been the big swing in ph the last month or so from 6.4ish to 7+ as a result of change in water supply I think. Lost 100+ Sakura last year at this time due to big change in params and clearly not realising they had changed so much - learnt a lot about Tds and gh last 12 months.

Ebi gold goes in this weekend (hopefully) and should start to see the results you have here ady.

Ps what you are missing now are some CBS ;) I love the two together. You have a stunning setup.

nduli said:
LondonDragon said:
Ady34 said:
Thanks Paulo,

I'm currently getting 40tds out of the tap. My issue has been the big swing in ph the last month or so from 6.4ish to 7+ as a result of change in water supply I think. Lost 100+ Sakura last year at this time due to big change in params and clearly not realising they had changed so much - learnt a lot about Tds and gh last 12 months.

Ebi gold goes in this weekend (hopefully) and should start to see the results you have here ady.

Ps what you are missing now are some CBS ;) I love the two together. You have a stunning setup.

Do you know if female shrimp can be inseminated by multiple males? I had an almost all white SSS flower head CRS have red banded, black SS no entry and Smily Red markings. So
Clearly all couldn't come from one.

Agree about CBS though. I love them.

nduli said:

Ahh, bummer mate, good old waterboard! Im guessing the tds remained similar but the ph had altered? Maybe they change levels of certain chemicals they add to compensate for temperature or source changes? I dont know, but it would be nice to know seasonally if they do alter things so we have an idea of what is coming out of the tap.
Hopefully as you say youll be back on track soon and that will go some way to repairing the pain felt from your losses.

I love CBS too, but unsure of mixing them....although i dont know why as i have no plans to sell or anything like that.
Thanks for the positive comments :thumbup:

Not 100% sure I thought it was always to do with gene pools and that offspring are rarely exactly the same...my quick reading tonight suggests that they mate once and thus you are seeing gene pool issues rather than multiple dads.....

http://www.planetinverts.com/shrimp_reproduction.html

The above doesn't cover it but might help some on breeding who stumble across this section on google....

Ady34 said:
nduli said:

Ahh, bummer mate, good old waterboard! Im guessing the tds remained similar but the ph had altered? Maybe they change levels of certain chemicals they add to compensate for temperature or source changes? I dont know, but it would be nice to know seasonally if they do alter things so we have an idea of what is coming out of the tap.
Hopefully as you say youll be back on track soon and that will go some way to repairing the pain felt from your losses.

I love CBS too, but unsure of mixing them....although i dont know why as i have no plans to sell or anything like that.
Thanks for the positive comments :thumbup:

Not sure what killed them off but it was slow and torturous. Probably a combination of Tds and ph swing and possibly run off of ferts in the fields. Winter is a mare for field fert run off apparently. had long conversation in Tgm about the very subject. Over their way the locals revert to rainwater / ro during certain months to avoid picking up run off following farmers fert runs. Then again restocked my tank with lovely sakuras from a guy called Ste in leyland who never used anything but straight tap water all hear round and never had any issues and ran SSS crs in some tanks.....boy did I curse him. Ps think Ste is a member on here thinking about it.....

Back