• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Aquanano40 CRShrimp tank....Journal Closed.

Hi,
a more substantial update.

This tank had been getting a little scrappy of late. The substrate had been moved about by the shrimps actions and the sand bed lost.
After purchasing a few more plants, i decided last night to give the tank an overdue spring clean and mini makeover :angelic:
This meant i ended up changing around 70% of the water in total :what: and syphoning a lot of aquasoil from the front and replacing at the rear.....not ideal to do all at once in a shrimp tank :wideyed:.....but once i had started, i had to finish.
I had only prepped 25l of water the night before, so needed to make some fresh on the night to top off....i was a little worried about this, but added dechlorinator and ensured the temperature and TDS were spot on to reduce the risks. I also added the mosura BT9 bacterial supplement after the filter clean.....all seems well :woot:

After syphoning as much aquasoil from the sand bed as i dared....ive been putting doing this off for ages.....shrimp are inquisitive little creatures and i didnt fancy accidentally sucking them out into a bucket of dirty water, so did the best i could.....they have already began moving it back :rolleyes:

I didnt want to waste the soil, there wasnt a huge amount of it from the outset and it helps keep the water perameters right for the shrimp, so i added it back to the rear of the tank from where it came. As careful as i tried to be this was the result:

wQ3RHN3.jpg
U2JG4zv.jpg

mmm.....anyway, it was done, so then i planted up the echinodorus reni id bought last week, you can just see a leaf or two emerging from behind the anubias in the second picture below. Some microsorum petite was trimmed to allow less shading to this area. Hopefully it will grow to somewhere between its 15-40cm potential and fill that void. I then planted the eleocharis sp. mini i bought from nayr88....cheers mate there was loads :thumbup:......and the shrimp really liked it too, they swarmed and have kindly already uprooted some :meh: :

p1080119f.jpg
p1080181l.jpg

this is what i was left with last night after topping up and turning the filters back on:

HpjGQtz.jpg
.....and then a couple from tonight, much clearer but not completely:

p1080175q.jpg
p1080173a.jpg

I think it is an improvement, and looks a little more like an aquascape again.
Ill be adding some elecharis acicularis from the other tank to add some height at the rear behind the microsorum which is slowly taking over. There was some hydrocotle sp. japan in the right rear, but that has lost most of its leaves. Hopefully the new plants will succeed.
Its odd, some of the lobelia cardinalis cuttings i put in from the studio tank are thriving, whilst others , much like the hydrocotle, dropped all their leaves immediately, but are now coming back :confused:

I do have one problem.
Every water change and filter clean im having to spend ages removing shrimp from the filter floss (no easy task), and there are quite a few now residing permanently in the filter chamber. I need to devise a mesh to cover the upper filter inlet grids to prevent them getting in there, you can see the smaller shrimp that have already made it through and the larger shrimp trying unsuccessfully to get to what must be a feast within the floss :hungry: (the mini hairgrass is there temporarily, excess which may be needed to fill gaps). The floss is already filthy after its clean yesterday from the aquasoil bomb!:

II9oTKb.jpg
IYu6oPu.jpg

One thing i have noticed is that since starting to feed with the Genchem foods, the colours are definitely improving :D

Cheerio,
Ady.

Ady

You thought about using a sponge to cover the holes? When I got my tank I got a different sponge than the standard one, the holes were much smaller. I have since replaced the smaller hole sponge with standard but I could cut you off a couple of centimetres of cross section and you could use it to cover the holes.....

Ps tank looking amazing. I am doing spring clean this weekend. The flame moss has died on the branch (light issue I think) and I am going to move to ro water now after my berried shrimp death last week.

That's looking stunning ady, very healthy plants and shrimp, for the filter chamber you could cut some sponge to size and stretch a stocking or cut tights over the sponge, I used this method in my fluval spec, it solves the shrimp problem but unfortunately needs cleaning as much if not more than filter floss, lovely looking scape ady :)

Ady

You thought about using a sponge to cover the holes? When I got my tank I got a different sponge than the standard one, the holes were much smaller. I have since replaced the smaller hole sponge with standard but I could cut you off a couple of centimetres of cross section and you could use it to cover the holes.....

Ps tank looking amazing. I am doing spring clean this weekend. The flame moss has died on the branch (light issue I think) and I am going to move to ro water now after my berried shrimp death last week.
That's looking stunning ady, very healthy plants and shrimp, for the filter chamber you could cut some sponge to size and stretch a stocking or cut tights over the sponge, I used this method in my fluval spec, it solves the shrimp problem but unfortunately needs cleaning as much if not more than filter floss, lovely looking scape ady :)
Agree with Tim, it looks stunning mate.

Much appreciated guys.
Re. the filter, yeah a sponge section sounds like a good idea wrapped in tights to stop the shrimplets entering the sponge.
Nduli, thanks for the offer mate, but i think i have some spare juwel ones which i may be able to retrofit and slip into a pair of the mrs. tights :shh: If not ill get a replacement sponge and cut it to fit...theres a handy spare parts sticker on the side of the tank so should be easy to get hold of.
ady

whats the moss here? - love it
Fissidens Fontanus.....its quite long here as its never been trimmed since i set up. Its been a slow grower but is looking really nice now and is popping up on the hardscape all over the tank :) The shrimplets in particular love it and theres always a group of the tiniest ones residing within it.

Cheerio,
Ady.

Nduli, thanks for the offer mate, but i think i have some spare juwel ones which i may be able to retrofit and slip into a pair of the mrs. tights :shh: If not ill get a replacement sponge and cut it to fit...theres a handy spare parts sticker on the side of the tank so should be easy to get hold of.

Cheerio,
Ady.

Ady

2 links

Aqua Nano 40 Aquarium Spares & Accessories - Buy with confidence from Aquarium Parts

Official part which is actually a lot cheaper than they are in the shops (minus shipping of course)

Filter Bio-Sponge 11.8"x4.7"x2.36" Media Block Foam pads Biochemical Sponge bio | eBay

Ebay USA similar part.

Rich

Looks great that Ady mate :woot:

Do you just dose EC? You'd easily mistake this for a top end aquascape with co2 pumped in by the bucket :D

I like the fact the filters all integrated too, Might have to give one a whirl :)
Hi Nath,
yeah 1.5ml easy carbo daily.
Very kind of you mate, not sure about top end, but its functional and trouble free now the lighting is low :) I was just saying to the wife tonight that this tank could probably run forever, i had been getting a bit of an itch with it, but have realised i love the shrimp too much to take it down, plus very little trimming, and infrequent (and small) water changes make it a nice easy tank to maintain....just needed a spruce up. Fancying adding maybe an aponegeton red or some cyperus halferi to the rear behind the fern along with some e. ecicularis from the studio tank to finish it off.....I'd kind of forgotten about it as an aquascape until recently, a few improvements can make a big difference....I want a chair in front of this one now, its currently flavour of the month :)

It has crossed my mind to sell up the large tank in favour of another one of these or another nano. Even without rescaping frequently there is always something to buy, with smaller tanks the overall running costs are much reduced, and a rescape may cost you £100 - £150, whereas larger tanks you can spend more than that on a new plant list alone, nevermind the new hardscape you want, the new sand you want to try etc etc. I'd quite like a tank that I could try new things on more regularly, but with the bigger one its not feasible. The flip side of course is the versatility offered from a larger tank, fish choices for example would be limited in a nano. Anyway that's just me thinking aloud and rambling....
Cheerio,
Ady.

Reactions: tim
Anyway that's just me thinking aloud and rambling
no thats just you talking crazy :lol:

Totally understand what you mean though mate, big tanks arent cheap if you like rescaping. When i look at Paulo's that ran for 3 years i see a part of the hobby i wish i could enjoy as much as full rescapes... . you just need another nano to go with the other two tanks? lol
Could always reconsider your old idea of a low maintenance south american biotope'ish tank with just hardscape and a few plants once you finish the current scape... enjoy the fish as much as the shrimp :)

great pics ady looks great and that must be awfull all the shrimp in the media ;) hope mine don't get into filter looks like hard work

Dean

Hi Ady,
I love this tank. :clap: Hoping to do something similar in my 35x35x40 cube. My goal is also 'low maintenance'.

Could I kindly ask you to give an updated list of all the plants that are in your tank at the moment?
What plants like to quasi-low-light low-fertilizer environment?
What is the current lighting setup (hours in the day)?
Water change frequency?
What would you do differently? (almost a year of experience)

Really appreciate the answer.

Ref "I do have one problem.Every water change and filter clean im having to spend ages removing shrimp from the filter floss (no easy task), and there are quite a few now residing permanently in the filter chamber. I need to devise a mesh to cover the upper filter inlet grids to prevent them getting in there,":

I'm just setting up my Nano40, but I've ordered a couple of sheets of stainless steel mesh from "the Mesh Company" Stainless Steel Woven Wire Mesh with a view to trying to either: create a secondary input screen; or to make a basket to over the top of the floss to make it easier to remove any escapees. I'll be happy to let you know how that looks like working out.

Hi Ady. Tank looks great! I've been skimming through from the start and love the progression. Out of interest, are you using a TDS meter? Can you give me any info about how you're measuring your TDS?

I've missed a few of the updates on here mate, so I've just been reading up! It really does look superb and your shrimp population has grown somewhat too... Brilliant!

The Fissidens Fontanus really looks ace too and one of my favourite plants although I have never had any myself as yet - another great tank to add to your portfolio :)

Hi Ady. Your tank is looking really nice. The wood fills the height of this tank nicely which is something I struggled to achieve with my little iwugami layout. Love the CRS they're amazing.

Ref "I do have one problem.Every water change and filter clean im having to spend ages removing shrimp from the filter floss (no easy task), and there are quite a few now residing permanently in the filter chamber. I need to devise a mesh to cover the upper filter inlet grids to prevent them getting in there,":

I'm just setting up my Nano40, but I've ordered a couple of sheets of stainless steel mesh from "the Mesh Company" Stainless Steel Woven Wire Mesh with a view to trying to either: create a secondary input screen; or to make a basket to over the top of the floss to make it easier to remove any escapees. I'll be happy to let you know how that looks like working out.

Just gave this a go. Not a great pic but I think something like this might work. The grid is just pressed against the slotted panel by the filter pad behind it.

Doesn't seem to inhibit flow at all.

edu2ema5.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Hi Ady,
I love this tank. :clap: Hoping to do something similar in my 35x35x40 cube. My goal is also 'low maintenance'.

Could I kindly ask you to give an updated list of all the plants that are in your tank at the moment?
What plants like to quasi-low-light low-fertilizer environment?
What is the current lighting setup (hours in the day)?
Water change frequency?
What would you do differently? (almost a year of experience)

Really appreciate the answer.
Hi TallDragon, welcome to the forum.
Ill do my best for you :)

Plant list:
Mini java fern
Anubias nana petite
Mini pelia
Christmas moss
Fissidens fontanus
Eleocharis ecicularis
Eleocharis sp. mini
Small green cryptocoryne (unnamed when purchased-unsure which species?)
Echinodorus Rubin
Lobelia cardinalis....a shrimp feast when they get hungry, grr!
And a tiny bit of pearl moss and marsilea hirsuta

In my experience the plants which do well in low light and fert environments are the ferns, cryptocoryne, anubias, fissidens and the mini pelia has done reasonably well too. I do add liquid carbon currently at 1.5 x recommended dosage.....Im not the best plant grower.....but these species seem to thrive anywhere. Mosses are also 'supposed' to be easy, although I struggle to get very healthy looking moss.
The ecicularis grass has survived long term, but the mini sp. is relatively new and isn't exactly giving me a lawn yet! This tank is leanly dosed so this could go some way to explaining the slow growth of all species, but highlight the ease at which the ferns and Anubias in particular can adapt.
The lobelia cardinalis was doing relatively well, until I went away and the shrimp didn't get fed for 5days, it then became a snack :)
I think most plants can adapt to low light low fert environments, just growth will be slow. I've recently increased my liquid carbon dosage to 1.5ml/day, but am going to reduce it back down to 1ml as I have seen no benefit in this set up and my shrimp have slowed reproduction.....but there could be many reasons for that. Maybe coincidence also but I have had a couple of jumpers of late. Anyway, there is little point in adding more LC if there is no improvement so I think the low light (11w) is the limiting factor alongside the lean dosing of ferts. This suits really as I've been slack on weekly maintenance for a long time now, perhaps water changing 30% every 2-3 weeks which I'm sure would have caused issue had the tank been higher energy.

Like I've just said, my shrimp have slowed reproduction and I have just last week seen another berried after perhaps 3-4 weeks of nothing. No coincidence im sure that this occurred after my 'spring clean' where i inadvertantly had to change 70% of the water. Perhaps it has been a natural winter dormancy as suggested by others, but most likely it will be down to the lack of small and frequent water changes.....especially now with the increased bio load from the increased numbers of shrimp, which are needing to be fed more regularly. The large water change probably helped cleanse the system to a degree and spurred some more shrimp action! I think to successfully keep and breed shrimp you need to keep on top of water changes and maintenance, little but often to keep organics low. I also use a bacterial supplement (mosura bt-9) which I add after every water change and filter clean which I'm sure has helped keep things healthy....it's not expensive and on small tanks will last a lifetime!

The lighting is low, 11w over 55l and still only a 6hr photoperiod....great for low maintenance, it keeps everything slow and reduces demands for ferts and co2 which helps minimise the wastes from plants and has been most likely the only reason I've got away without weekly water changes for so long.....although now I'm sure I need to be more vigilant given the numbers of shrimp all producing waste now!

What would I do differently.....id have had low light from the start! This tank has taught me a lot, low maintenance needs low light! I melted a few plants initially with too much light and not enough carbon....probably not enough ferts either, but I knew I wanted to keep TDS swings minimal for the sake of the shrimp so was always going to dose lean, its a bit of a conflict of interest really, so I then decided the shrimp were the main focus for the tank so lowered the light intensity and kept less demanding plants. I would also have continued with weekly water changes, maybe only 10-20% maximum, but regular, I think this is beneficial especially with increased bio load.
I think have a plan is the best advice. Know what you want to achieve and choose flora and fauna accordingly. This tank is based around the shrimp now, low light, easy plants and slow growth help keep everything happy :)
If low maintenance is your goal don't go for fast growing stems or demanding carpets of hc. You can create nice displays with easy plants, check out the tropica website for more inspiration and information. Keep lighting low, maybe even check out the low tech sub forum if your fancying super low maintenance, maybe a 'dirt tank'? Like I say, know what you want to achieve before you start, it makes things easier in the long run :)
Good luck and keep us posted, maybe start a journal of your own.....it's a great way of keeping track of progress.

Hi Ady. Tank looks great! I've been skimming through from the start and love the progression. Out of interest, are you using a TDS meter? Can you give me any info about how you're measuring your TDS?
Thanks Steve,
yeah using a TDS pen, i test tank water before water changes and adjust added tap water accordingly to keep TDS around 150-170 ideally. Shrimples :)

I've missed a few of the updates on here mate, so I've just been reading up! It really does look superb and your shrimp population has grown somewhat too... Brilliant!

The Fissidens Fontanus really looks ace too and one of my favourite plants although I have never had any myself as yet - another great tank to add to your portfolio :)
Cheers Gary,
yeah the shrimp have impact now, at least you can see them at all times so the tank doesn't look devoid of life like it did at the start!
Fissidens is great, a really delicate looking plant but takes a while to grow! The tank is pretty simple really, mainly a big bunch of fern and some Anubias, but I like it, I've given up chasing plant growing in this one, its green.....and red and white so can't complain :)

Hi Ady. Your tank is looking really nice. The wood fills the height of this tank nicely which is something I struggled to achieve with my little iwugami layout. Love the CRS they're amazing.
Much appreciated Jon, yeah the tank dimensions are a little tricky for an iwagumi, but yours looks lush....your grass will add a little height :)
CRS are cool, they would look great in yours ;)

Just gave this a go. Not a great pic but I think something like this might work. The grid is just pressed against the slotted panel by the filter pad behind it.

Doesn't seem to inhibit flow at all.

edu2ema5.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Thanks DTL, thats a good way of preventing some of the jouveniles, but I think the shrimplets will still make it through that mesh, they are miniscule. I think tights around a foam block, or even your mesh may be the best plan, but could clog quickly and end up draining the filter chamber enough to run the pump dry....shrimplets are so small they even crawl into the pores of foam itself, so its a tricky one...still thinking, and shrimp fishing every filter clean :)

Thanks for all the comments.
Cheerio,
Ady.

Back