Bacteria in a bottle ?

dw1305

Expert
Hi all,
have had an email discussion - once - with Dr Tim. The last time I tried to contact him, I got no reply.
I've emailed, so fingers crossed.
But, Nitrospira have been shown to oxidize ammonia to nitrite and then to nitrate. They are therefore now classed as Commamox bacteria - complete ammonia oxidizers
We've got a few threads <"that look at COMAMMOX Nitrospira">.
Specifically, I use ammonium chloride with a starting concentration of 2 to 3 ppm total ammonia
I've never been an fan of cycling with ammonia. I only keep planted tanks, so my original question was "why would adding a lot more ammonia that your tank is ever going to see again be a good idea?", but people could answer that with the <"high ammonia/high pH"> linear nature of cycling. <"I was dubious about this"> as well, but didn't have any scientific argument to refute it.

But now the <"past is a different country"> and I would be very, very surprised if this <"research, on aquarium filters">, isn't right.

cheers Darrel

https://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/bacteria-biological-starters.52928/page-2#post-524364

jaypeecee

Hi Folks,
I have successfully used ammonia many times.
And, just in case it's not clear, I only use ammonia to get the biological filter established. Thereafter, no further additions of ammonia are needed. Not only that but additional ammonia would potentially kill livestock. Once the biological filter is established, it receives a steady supply of ammonia excreted by fish, etc. and from breakdown of any detritus.

JPC

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
idris Mantainence free shrimp bottle? General Planted Tank Discussions 8