• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Bubble Counter Rate

JRPW

Seedling
Hi guys,

Literally today set up my first pressurised CO2 system. All went well although messing around with a fire extinguisher does feel slightly dodgy lol.

I'm watching my bubble counter like a hawk and found its really hard to get a good handle on a set rate. At the mo I'd say I've got 2-3bps. Any advice on the rate I should aim for for a 110litre heavy planted tank?

Also when ever I adjust the valve there seems to be a few min period where the bubble rate fluctuates faster then slower, is this normal? I assuming this is something to do with changing pressure between my one way valves?

Newbie advice welcome :)

Thanks
James

Also when ever I adjust the valve there seems to be a few min period where the bubble rate fluctuates faster then slower, is this normal? I assuming this is something to do with changing pressure between my one way valves?
In my experience can also be due to having excessive lengths of piping, causes the system to "oscillate". Reduce piping to as short as necessary and now my bubble rate is settable between one per 10 seconds to blow water out of bubble counter range.

Also does the same if you have a leak, oscillating bubble count, leak seems to open, vent gas, pressure drops, leak seals, pressurises, leak opens......etc. I have had leaks from every single CO2 low pressure connection at sometime or other....

Watching your fish and your DC will tell you everything you need to know. All a bubble counter tells you is whether the CO2/Solenoid is on or off.

Thanks guys really useful stuff.

Only had the system set up for a few days and already see the plants looking better and the hair algae looks like its lessening :)

Back