• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Cheap RGB Light for 45P

Suggestion...abandon all the cheap and usually undersized power supplies .
Take the light wattage, double it, and find a ps to match.
What's the advantage of doing that?

You will be running that power supply at almost 100% so it will run hot and it will shorten its life, agree with @oreo57 for your 11 W lamp your need a 2A / 24W powersupply which runs much cooler and lasts longer.

Had been following this thread , seems like the Twinstar is considered the better budget buy over the others mentioned ..?
We have a 40cm cube tank, to which the 30P units are usually fitted, but would it be better to use a 45P and modify the legs to fit; that reference to some saying saying the Twinstars are not the brightest make us wonder of a 30P would do ?

@dino21
Thanks for the reply and the explanation!
The original PSU plug ran hot on the 30B 2....the one from Amazon seems to be a lot cooler or I might just be imagining it!
The 30B 2 it's a tad on the small size only 27cm for a 40CM tank...as you say probably better with the 45B 2 and try to modify it to fit.
Cheers
hoggie

Less stress, less heat, less drying of the power caps.
There are exceptions but usually reserved for high end power supplies.
This is probably a good example of "cheap" small ps's.
Besides you now have a backup ( orig).
Note: Match the orig. voltage out. That is not negotiable..;)

Screenshot_20230701-170012.png

Last edited:
When I replaced the faulty cable on my Twinstar that was overheating, from the light unit to the power adapter, I noticed the light was a lot brighter. The cable on my E900 was pretty below par for the unit!

Hi Tim
How many watts is the light?
I think it's 20 watts, well according to the marketing blurb.
But on the Twinstar web page it says it's 16 watts.

Twinstar 45B 2 is 20 Watts!
So then I'm guessing I should use 40 Watts, 12 volt 2 amp PSU ?
I'm a bit hard of understanding when it comes to electrical stuff.

Might be 4 amp......think the above might be overkill though?
Maybe @dino21 can clarify!
You should be okay with the one you ordered!

Me too Tim! :confused:

I think it's 20 watts, well according to the marketing blurb.
But on the Twinstar web page it says it's 16 watts.
That's the original 45 B.
Version B 2 has a few extra LEDS and the Dimmer Switch!

Might be 4 amp......think the above might be overkill though?
Maybe @dino21 can clarify!
You should be okay with the one you ordered!
There is sort of no " overkill" but with too large of a power supply (too many watts) efficiency can drop.
For 20w light you don't want a 600w capable power supply. 600/12 = 50 amps. : eek:

There is sort of no " overkill" but with too large of a power supply (too many watts) efficiency can drop.
For 20w light you don't want a 600w capable power supply. 600/12 = 50 amps. : eek:
So what exactly would you recommend I buy?

It seems Twinstar are providing power supplies quiet close to the lights needs, so would expect they have done their calculations and feel confident with them.
Todays power supplies are a lot more efficient with the modern compact electronics they use, so expect they can withstand closer tollerances than with older ones, though like anything , its all built to a price point.
However if it was us, longterm, we would use one rated at least 3A with the 20w 45P.
There are so many such power packs on the market places that its almost impossible to say which are the good ones, though probably buying one from the likes of RS or CPC should ensure you get a decent one.
eg - RS PRO 36W Plug-In AC/DC Adapter 12V dc Output, 3A Output | RS

Back