• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Converting a large aquarium - suggestions welcome!

Eep...thanks for the heads up guys...

I haven't been without at least one tank running for 7 or more years, I lived in Scotland for a year while managing to keep a 200 litre tank running in Yorkshire, travelled home every two weeks just to do a water change. 700 mile round trip for the fish :) I'm prepared for the challenge. If anything, it'll be escape surely? A little tiny bit of me time when I'm not cleaning baby vom out of my clothes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Now you have revealed a very important fact, child arrival, you should be aiming you tank completely the other way, low light, low speed growth, very few water changes, keep it simple s....d (KISS) etc as your son/daughter will only be young once, yet your tank will always be there....

Though, if you are awake long enough, there is nothing to stop you dreaming and costing and working out timings for your future tank when your son/daughter is 18 and leaves home....:D

Now you have revealed a very important fact, child arrival, you should be aiming you tank completely the other way, low light, low speed growth, very few water changes, keep it simple s....d (KISS) etc as your son/daughter will only be young once, yet your tank will always be there....

Though, if you are awake long enough, there is nothing to stop you dreaming and costing and working out timings for your future tank when your son/daughter is 18 and leaves home....:D

Or if the current property market trends continue, when they leave home at 48 ;)

Hehe I appreciate your concerns. It always was aimed at being a low maintenance tank for crypts and other slow growers.

Water changes are not a problem, I drilled an overflow in the sump that drains water through the external house wall and onto my raspberry's that grow there. All I do is pump freshwater into the tank and older water is displaced via the overflow and boom, I've refreshed the aquarium water and fed my fruit with fish manure!

The whole process takes no more than 30 minutes and is virtually effortless, half that time I leave the water pumping into the tank and go off to do something else.

If I can't maintain a hobby just because I'm a parent, then I'll be doing something wrong. Half my friends are parents and it hasn't stopped them enjoying the things they did before kids. My hobby happens to be in my own home that can be done in a few spare hours here and there, I'm sure it won't be a problem!

However, if I'm posting on here in a years time about my tank being out of control and unmanageable, I'll eat my hat!

Back