• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Crypt's Palace

Floating plants: Amazon Frogbit (very pretty trailing roots), Salvinia Natans (I think that's what it is. It mostly died off as the flow was too strong at the start and kept sinking it), Common duckweed (put in to follow the 'duckweed index method' mentioned on other low-tech threads here. It gets everywhere and is a bit of a nightmare), Giant Duckweed (I forgot the exact variety, got it off eBay. It has red undersides and is mildly less annoying than Common Duckweed). Oh yeah, a little bit of Hornwort.

This tank is currently using very little effort, but I can foresee all sorts of trouble from the soil, large rooted emergent plants, and sunlight. One thing about low-tech (although this kind of counts as high, since I dose Liquid Carbon) is I find I'm more forgiving in my expectations of the plants, which makes the whole thing a more calm process (so far), not to mention not having to faff with CO2 injection. I more or less just set the tank up and left it alone.

After five days away:
2vRkMHr.jpg

1bwYq9x.jpg

um2bIMF.jpg

(Can't seem to get a decent photo of the Cyperus Alternifolia, but not only has it shot up (and down, looking at the roots round the back of the tank) but it's flowering too).

After removing a tub full of floating plants the surface is still covered.
d4S5reP.jpg

I've popped four Ottos into the tank today because they have not been doing well in my tiny CO2-injected tank. One is pretty sick (has never really been quite right), but the others seem to be adapting ok.

Great setup, looks very natural and i bet the fish feel at home there.

Also I dont mean to derail the thread but I have to ask, do you know if its possible to buy those pipes separately, specifically the intake?. or something similar to those because mine is square and I would prefer that shape,cheers.

Appreciate it, good idea with the shrimp guard, my intake sticks quite high out of my tank so i might do that also:thumbup:

tKwNtoJ.jpg

First pic with new camera. Still just a snap though.

Added some Red Ramshorn snails today, and three Red Nosed Shrimp about a week ago. The shrimp promptly disappeared and I thought they were gone, but I found one in the background of a photo today. Now the male (or larger) Peacock Goby is missing. Maybe they finally bullied him back...

Sneaking in:
vPXpwgt.jpg

What a fine natural looking scape!

Love it Joel, really well done, and great fish choice.

What a fine natural looking scape! Love it Joel, really well done, and great fish choice.
Thanks Ian! I've been enjoying your 1-2-grow scape a lot, even you're missing the driftwood etc (I would feel the same too, but it's definitely interesting).

Lovely looking tank Joel - It looks very natural and the Goby is very nice. Thank you for sharing!
Thanks! He's got a lot of personality, which includes digging up the soil in the foreground...

Hi all,
Common duckweed (put in to follow the 'duckweed index method' mentioned on other low-tech threads here
2vRkMHr.jpg

It is looking really nice, your floaters look very healthy, sometimes I wish I'd called it the "Amazon Frogbit index", as lots of light, high nutrients and Duckweed (Lemna minor) does mean that you can end up with a pretty complete cover of Duckweed fairly quickly, and it is pita to get rid off.
Giant Duckweed (I forgot the exact variety, got it off eBay. It has red undersides and is mildly less annoying than Common Duckweed).
The other plant looks like Phyllanthus fluitans (Red Root floater), rather than Spirodela polyrhiza.

cheers Darrel

Cheers Darrel,
I did a quick google and there's definitely some Spirodela polyrhiza in there. Red underneath but with white roots. But theres quite a few things mixed in just now, though I've got rid of almost all of the duckweed with tweezers a couple of weeks ago. Actually, looking, there's a good deal back. As you say pita.

Hi all,
I did a quick google and there's definitely some Spirodela polyrhiza in there. Red underneath but with white roots.
Yes, that sounds like Spirodela, Phyllanthus has red roots. I like to have a range of floaters, because sometimes one dwindles away. I find that Pistia always grows smaller and more spidery through the winter, and grows bigger chunkier in the summer.

cheers Darrel

Back