• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Crystal Mountain

Last edited:
Nice pics!:thumbup:

These stones and woods needs some toothbrush! :p

Thank you CooKies,

For the time being I will let the hardscape alone, I didn't like it when it was to clean :D
Plants are super healthy and that is what matters most to me :)

Thank you CooKies,

For the time being I will let the hardscape alone, I didn't like it when it was to clean :D
Plants are super healthy and that is what matters most to me :)

Maybe it's all about pictures, but the plants and especially the rocks seem to me full of algae. I dont think your plants are super healthy. Please do not mind, it;s just my point of view

Maybe it's all about pictures, but the plants and especially the rocks seem to me full of algae. I dont think your plants are super healthy. Please do not mind, it;s just my point of view

Hi there bobiciupe,

Of course I don't mind your point-of-view,

The only plants with algae are some of the bucephalandras older leafes affected by GSA, all the other plants are algae free...

I'm using really strong light 120PAR at the carpet, so it's normal that algae take it's grip to the harscape, as I said before I like it this way, think it gives a more aged look to the tank but at the same time it takes away much textures expecialy on the wood, eventualy I will clean it, but for the time being I will leave it this way,

Last edited:
First of all, I just want to say your tank is amazing, especially the hardwood is great and I like how you are sharing your whole experience instead of just posting tank shots. Your photos are also amazing, super crisp, especially the full tank shots.

I see that you are dosing half/full EI but do not see any micros. How are you dosing your micros? In other forums there is so much talk about deficiencies/toxicities of micros so I'm interested to see what method you are following. Are you only dosing Fe & Mg for micros?

First of all, I just want to say your tank is amazing, especially the hardwood is great and I like how you are sharing your whole experience instead of just posting tank shots. Your photos are also amazing, super crisp, especially the full tank shots.

I see that you are dosing half/full EI but do not see any micros. How are you dosing your micros? In other forums there is so much talk about deficiencies/toxicities of micros so I'm interested to see what method you are following. Are you only dosing Fe & Mg for micros?

Thanks for your words Seuoulstar,

I try my best to share the little I know, and it feels very good when I have this kind of feedback from you guys :)

I've been following some of this discussions, in Barr Report, The Planted Tank, regarding this toxicities, but in my fertilization I use a very good Iron and Micro source as I've have described a few threads behind,
and I really do not see the advantage on using like +0.2ppm FE daily intake as suggested in some calculators and forums, at this moment I'm with half EI dosing in this tank this means a daily input of 0.035ppm FE, and I see no Iron deficiencies whatsoever,
I've been dosing leaner for some time now, when the tank asks for more, I give it a little more but general rule, half the EI dosing is more than enough for this kind of setup, if you do a tank say a dutch style with very fast growing stems, maybe a full EI regime it's more suitable.
But for Iron I stick with Clive's(Ceg4048) recommendation of 0,5ppm weekly, and i've been dosing half of this and I don't see any deficiencies

Here goes the full MicroMix+ composition:

6% iron total
0.41% iron (gluconate)
0.11% iron (EDDHMA)
4.15% iron (DTPA)
1.33% iron (EDTA)
0,32% copper (EDTA)
0.8% borron
1.6% (EDTA) manganese
0.08% molybden
0.32% zinc (EDTA)
0.47% Potassium
1.5% Calcium (EDTA)
1,3% sodium
0,004% cobalt
0,43% chloride
0,001% aliminum
0,001% Titan
0,001% Nickel
0,001% iodine

With the full dose from my dosing here are some values from http://aquarium-fertilizer.eu/ calculator

Fe +0.07
Mn +0.019
Zn +0.004
Cu +0.004
B +0.008
Mo +0.001
Na +0.004
Cl +0.006
Co +0.001

Last edited:
You are using gluconate , EDDHMA , DTPA and EDTA Iron so it does not matter if you have hard or soft water , the plants will "absorb" iron anyway , this is a good Iron/Micro recipe

Yes I know AndreiD,

It's an awesome mix with this 4 chelates, when Tiago (tmiravent) discovered this powders online, we immediately know we had to try them, and now I wont be changing to other one soon I've bought 500gr that in this tank will last me for like 7 years of dosing on a full EI regime.

They also mention this on their description: ;)

4 FORMS OF IRON

Fe-gluconate
The less strong of used chelates, but as onlz one binds iron in ferrous form (Fe2+) which is faster and easier utilised by plants then ferric form Fe3+. You can find this form of iron in excelents Seachem Flourish Iron. Requests fo dealy dosing.
Fe-EDTA
Comonlly used form of iron. Used in fabulous Plantex CSM or JBL Ferropol
Fe-DTPA
Stable iron (up to pH 7,5) used in Tenso Cocktail or Easy-life Ferro
Fe-EDDHMA
The strongest iron. Stable up to pH 11. Lasts suplly plants for many days. even when you forget.
Every single of listed forms is able to supply enough of iron, but their combination makes MicroMix PLUS very unique.

Thanks for your words Seuoulstar,

I try my best to share the little I know, and it feels very good when I have this kind of feedback from you guys :)

I've been following some of this discussions, in Barr Report, The Planted Tank, regarding this toxicities, but in my fertilization I use a very good Iron and Micro source as I've have described a few threads behind,
and I really do not see the advantage on using like +0.2ppm FE daily intake as suggested in some calculators and forums, at this moment I'm with half EI dosing in this tank this means a daily input of 0.035ppm FE, and I see no Iron deficiencies whatsoever,
I've been dosing leaner for some time now, when the tank asks for more, I give it a little more but general rule, half the EI dosing is more than enough for this kind of setup, if you do a tank say a dutch style with very fast growing stems, maybe a full EI regime it's more suitable.
But for Iron I stick with Clive's(Ceg4048) recommendation of 0,5ppm weekly, and i've been dosing half of this and I don't see any deficiencies

Here goes the full MicroMix+ composition:

I'm only providing feedback because its well-deserved. My jaws dropped after I saw the first tank shot, not only because it was a nice scape but photography was so crisp and detailed. Then I saw how much you were sharing your experience so I made an account to acknowledge but also to learn more.

The dry powder I am currently using for my micros is CSM+B and used to dose the full EI but then started seeing twisted leaves and abnormal growth so had to stopped.

I also see people using Miller Microplex but never heard of this MicroMix+, is this another dry powder alternative for micros? Maybe I'll try it out if they shipped international.

I'm only providing feedback because its well-deserved. My jaws dropped after I saw the first tank shot, not only because it was a nice scape but photography was so crisp and detailed. Then I saw how much you were sharing your experience so I made an account to acknowledge but also to learn more.

The dry powder I am currently using for my micros is CSM+B and used to dose the full EI but then started seeing twisted leaves and abnormal growth so had to stopped.

I also see people using Miller Microplex but never heard of this MicroMix+, is this another dry powder alternative for micros? Maybe I'll try it out if they shipped international.

Wow now I'm really flattered let me welcome you to UKAPS hope you like it here :)

I´m always willing to share what I know if people are interested in it, so regarding CSM+B I think with a leaner dosing it will not be troublesome, but for example on Planted Tank people that wore talking about toxicities were aiming for more than 0,2ppm Fe daily as suggested on WET's calculator and blaming Cu and Bo for high toxicity, if we take the same approach of dosing 0,5ppm weakly suggested in Clive´s article here in UKAPS, this means daily doses of 0,07ppm FE so we will have this trace doses:

CSM+B
Fe +0.07 (Fe-EDTA)
Mn +0.02
Mg +0.015
Zn +0.004
Cu +0.001
B +0.013 (x2 the concentration of MicroMix+)
Mo +0.001

MicroMix+
Fe +0.07 (Fe-gluconate, Fe-EDTA, Fe-DTPA, Fe-EDDHMA)
Mn +0.019
Zn +0.004
Cu +0.004 (x4 the concentration of CSM+B)
B +0.008
Mo +0.001
Na +0.004
Cl +0.006
Co +0.001

0,2ppm Fe daily is like 3 times this dosage, I've seen they claiming 0,5ppm daily also, so you can see what actually happens to Cu and Bo levels, this will accumulate in sediment filter media and water column, Bo and Cu are actually used in anti-algae products, we can imagine that this can in fact really stunt the plants growth, and imagine what it can do to sensitive critters :eek:

If you have CSM+B to use, stick with it, it will be no really night and day differences, the MicroMix+ in my opinion is very good for having 4 different iron chelates and a couple more Traces like Nickel that help metabolize my urea dosing by the plants ;)

In practice I doubt it will be eye noticing growth differences between both products, just keep it on the leaner side ;)

Almost forgot MicroMix+ is also a dry powder that we mix in conformity with the dosage we want and believe that they will ship it worldwide,

Hope this answered some of your doubts :)

Last edited:
Wow now I'm really flattered let me welcome you to UKAPS hope you like it here :)

I´m always willing to share what I know if people are interested in it, so regarding CSM+B I think with a leaner dosing it will not be troublesome, but for example on Planted Tank people that wore talking about toxicities were aiming for more than 0,2ppm Fe daily as suggested on WET's calculator and blaming Cu and Bo for high toxicity, if we take the same approach of dosing 0,5ppm weakly suggested in Clive´s article here in UKAPS, this means daily doses of 0,07ppm FE so we will have this trace doses:

0,2ppm Fe daily is like 3 times this dosage, I've seen they claiming 0,5ppm daily also, so you can see what actually happens to Cu and Bo levels, this will accumulate in sediment filter media and water column, Bo and Cu are actually used in anti-algae products, we can imagine that this can in fact really stunt the plants growth, and imagine what it can do to sensitive critters :eek:

If you have CSM+B to use, stick with it, it will be no really night and day differences, the MicroMix+ in my opinion is very good for having 4 different iron chelates and a couple more Traces like Nickel that help metabolize my urea dosing by the plants ;)

In practice I doubt it will be eye noticing growth differences between both products, just keep it on the leaner side ;)

Almost forgot MicroMix+ is also a dry powder that we mix in conformity with the dosage we want and believe that they will ship it worldwide,

Hope this answered some of your doubts :)

Thanks for your thorough response. So do you dose micros on a daily basis based on Fe 0.07ppm or 0.166 every 2 days (3 days a week) for days when you don't dose macros?

I think I read somewhere its dangerous to dose micros and macros on the same day?

You also mentioned Cu and Bo levels can accumulate in the sediment filter media, what should I look when cleaning the media? Makes sense Bo and Cu are used in anti-algae products, hence why I probably don't have any algae except for some GDA on the glass!

Thanks again

Back