• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

DIY Project DIY ADA Style Aquarium Stand

you decided on a colour then rob ?

No lol. I'm fancying either gloss black or white atm mate. The missus would probably prefer plum or something :bawling:

Cause mine will have a stainless rod mounted in the front I was thinking black would be nice, but she thinks it's too 'blokey' :)

I originally wanted black but putting in hallway soon after I knock out under stairs cupboard lol so that's why was thinking grey :nailbiting: hhhhmmmmmm decisions decisions, they hallway is white so thought black would stick out like a sore thumb you have now got me thinking would white be better :banghead: dam you rob lol what of ever move back into kitchen then grey would work lol cannot decide if I use white would just pure brilliant white be good ? in what type satin or what

white would go anywhere or with anything I suppose

Dean

Brilliant white gloss if doing white i think :) (good thing is water marks are white usually so safe guard (read: covers up) accidents lol ;)

I have this but it's very very thick and wouldn't be able to roller on
utaryteg.jpg

Obviously if using varnish after could I use something else and does it have to be for wood ? Maybe just pure brilliant white but not glossy ?

Dean

Thanks Dean

Attachments

• utaryteg.jpg
    utaryteg.jpg
    827.9 KB · Views: 162
Get some pics taken as I love mini m fancy one in my bedroom but get this tank going first lol, also don't want the gloss to turn yellow as doors do that's why don't want to use would rather use paint then varnish

Thanks Dean

Should roller on ok with the those foam pads? I'd think if glossing you don't need to varnish as a gloss coat or two should at least be splash proof? Another tip, sand your square edges off a little Deano, my brother told me that ages ago. Just taken the sharp edge of square furniture means the paint takes better right at the edges ;)

I dont think MDF will leech whatever soft wood doors/architrave does that makes it go yellow lol

edit - or not enough undercoat (or too many fags lol :D)

I just paint over the previous gloss and don't smoke lol think I would prefer using white paint then varnishing just incase lol

does it need ti be wood paint or will wall paint do in satin

Mine's 'french lilac'... ooh la la (the Mrs chose it!) :facepalm:

is that just wall emulsion paint mate ? I want to paint white with varnish over but not sure what finish I require satin etc also needs to take varnish over the top

Dean

Sorry Dean I can't remember exactly what is was, it was oil based with a matt or satin finish though.

Anyone wanna just make me a cabinet? I will pay +5% of materiels :D :D

Sent from my GT-I9505G using Tapatalk

You dilute with say 10% (read instructions) white spirit before rollering on in thin coats. It then rollers on very well, but in the many times I have rollered gloss I have never got a 100% mirror finish, like in the adverts, unlike emulsion and varnish. Spraying on gloss (compressed air sprayer) does give a mirror smooth finish if done right.

I've had a very close to mirror finish with Leyland high gloss but I think its a water base and I don't suppose that would be any good?

Sent from my GT-I9505G using Tapatalk

Is wall paint ok to use then a varnish over the top ?

Thanks Dean

Find a nice thin smelly gloss and do 3 coats. dont use water based or non drip types, you wont get as good a finish with these(there getting better but i havnt found a good one yet)
Sand flat, with a block, inbetween every coat or you will see the joints. If you prep it right and paint nicely you shouldn't need to varnish it.

Back