• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Dutch 110ltr

In regards to switching to daily dosing of FE well that's not really an issue.

For now my thoughts were I'm going to just adjust my dosing by splitting what I do now into daily measurements.

Not exactly what Plantnoobdude has said but a step in the right direction if absorption daily is required

In regards to switching to daily dosing of FE well that's not really an issue.

For now my thoughts were I'm going to just adjust my dosing by splitting what I do now into daily measurements.

Not exactly what Plantnoobdude has said but a step in the right direction if absorption daily is required
If you are dosing Fe Gluconate or whatever chelated iron in fact, it's best to do it daily before lights on and when water PH has already started to drop. Both types can degrade quite fast, specially with light/UV.

Seems that there is an issue of whether you actually got the correct stuff from the seller or whether there is a large amount of impurities etc. Obviously you want to get it from a reputable seller but with sellers like APFUK shutting down, its getting harder and harder to source for stuff in non-wholesale quantities...

In UKAPS I've been reading in other threads:
  • KCL unable to dissolve in water
  • 0.1ppm of EDDHA-Fe turning the tank into a blackwater tank
  • etc....

Fish can actually go quite some time without eating. When I go on holiday for more than 3-4 days I usually just add 1 big wafer in the tank just before leaving and although they are meant for plecos and suckers, all fish will eat from it and it can last 2-3 days. Like this I don't need to ask anyone to feed my tank.

Whilst the discussion/banter in this thread has been interesting, and for me educational I think this is probably the best course of action for you at the minute. Concentrating on getting the tank back on track for the critters is far more important than experimenting for us casual onlookers.

So thank you to those who were suggesting part of the reason for the cabomba's colouration was due to FE needing to be dosed daily.

On revisiting the directions on my ferts this is recommended. So I will start doing this from today. I will be increasing the FE to 0.45ppm daily.

Lighting I have decided to set a ramp up to a 2hr window full power on both lights. I won't be increasing other ferts till this becomes a 4hr window which I'll look to do in about 2 weeks.

I will post photos shortly, I've given the tank a heavy trim and recent abuse its under gone most plants won't be showing there best; but spacing has been revealed in the background. I've also brought in the forground plants in together so areas will appear more defined.

Adult fishes can survive at least several weeks without feeding.
Hi maq

Yes I look forward to the day when all are mature. The golden cloud minnows are a little young for it atm.

I suppose on the plus side I now have gained the biggest unwanted clean up crew you have ever seen with the rams horns explosion!! 😂😂

So thank you to those who were suggesting part of the reason for the cabomba's colouration was due to FE needing to be dosed daily.

On revisiting the directions on my ferts this is recommended. So I will start doing this from today. I will be increasing the FE to 0.45ppm daily.
Miles I've never seen a tank that needs 0.45 ppm Fe daily. That is a good total amount for a week of Fe dosing. You could just split the 0.45 ppm into 7 doses and have plenty of iron for any plant that I know of.

Hey guys,

Thank you apologies there maybe some poor maths in that statement 😑

Still not great with the calculation, I'm looking to add:

5ml iron fert daily
Fe= 1% of 1 gram

Last edited:
So post trim photos, always the worst but we can't be showing our tanks only in peak health!!

IMG_20220822_195342.jpg

As you can see all have had a trim and the plant groups more defined. Spacing as mentioned is 2 finger widths, though this is a little tighter up front still.

IMG_20220822_195216.jpg

Rotala green you can see is still converting, this area feels a little tight at the moment. I have the gap to see the sp red through like I wanted but the macranda may need moving to give it more space or I may have to rethink the lotus. It would be a shame as do love the idea of the macrandra peeking through the lotus gaps.

Any way I'll send through some stronger photos in when plants have recovered. 😊

Attachments

• IMG_20220822_195400.jpg
    IMG_20220822_195400.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 97
@milesjames if i were you i would try the following, you can dose these together but split the doses into 3-4x week and dose your Macros on different days. are you also using Seachem product for N, P, K as well ? Seachem equilibrium or anything else?

0.04 Mn as a weekly target using Seachem Flourish Trace:

Mn0.04
B0.01318
Co0.00014
Cu0.01506
Mo0.00141
Ni0.00001
Zn0.07953
Rb0.00004
V0.00001

and

0.4 Fe Gluconate as a weekly target using Seachem Flourish Trace:

Fe0.4

So I'm going to put it out there encase some of the more strict Dutch scapers can fill me in.

As far as I'm aware traditional 1930's dutch rules state that there should be no more than 3 plants per foot of aquarium. This has been rightfully translated to being 1 plant per 10cms. But does this mean 1 plant per 10cm2 or does it mean per 10cm length??

So I'm going to put it out there encase some of the more strict Dutch scapers can fill me in.

As far as I'm aware traditional 1930's dutch rules state that there should be no more than 3 plants per foot of aquarium. This has been rightfully translated to being 1 plant per 10cms. But does this mean 1 plant per 10cm2 or does it mean per 10cm length??
Per 10 Cm length
A 120 cm aquarium should have 10-15 species.

A different way to state the rule is 1 species per 1 decimeter of your front glass. From one of the Dutch master’s guides - Dutch Style Aquarium. | Bart Laurens.

So I've been a bit rash and made so significant alterations to setup (hardware) as well as some general daily cycle changes.

I have made an alteration to the ferts but I will share this with you another day. As I don't want to jump the gun and start a discussion on this till I have more growth.

So adjustments to setup I have bitten the bullet and doubled the lighting. These are now setup for a full daily setting of full spectrum 8hrs a day this is with my fluvel 3.0 and an additional cheaper led light source with 55w with 95% white, 10% blue, 10% red.

I have zeroed in the co2 to accommodate for the lighting increase and to say I have good pearling daily would be an understatement.

I noticed although the pearling was happening through out the tank it was mainly around the co2 diffuser so I Intially altered the trajectory of the spray bar to adjust the flow. This helped but I felt I could do better, so I have added an additional basic mini sump pump to increase the flow. I have done this 15cm from the substrate approx 10cm above co2 diffuser to hopefully this will improve distribution.

This setup for now till I get a external filter with lilly pipe should do the job (bit hardware ugly) I will also look into a cheap waver maker in the future dependent on the external but I think I'll just go large on the filter to ensure the flow.

Looking forward to sharing a picture update soon. As expected after the tank abuse the alternanthera reineckii mini has decided to melt older leaves and become a snail magnet.

Got to love this plant for its dedication to being a great mineral deficiency indecator and all round pain after any issues a tank has been through!!

Back