• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Echinodorus tank (the end)

Re: Echinodorus tank (Tricolor leaves)

ianho said:
Second picture underside of the leaf what is that lurking there?
If its a nymph it may have your youngsters.
hoggie

Oh I'm with you...no, thats a pregnant amano shrimp on the leaf.

ianho said:
Oh I'm with you...no, that's a pregnant amano shrimp on the leaf.

I would have bet money on that being a alien intruding nymph...just goes to show how photos can be a tad misleading at times.
Nice set up bye the way....love the fish.
hoggie

ianho said:
thanks guys...

well, look what i came home to find today.

thats so cool. what lighting do you use on this tank? i the colour a lot.

Congratulations on the new additions! :clap: That's a very fertile system you've got there, what with the Apisto fry and the shrimp :lol:

They're lovely fish - one of the few that I've had breeding success with in my main tank.

Cheers Hoggie

what lighting do you use on this tank? i the colour a lot.

Thanks Creg, the lighting is an Arcadia classic, running 2x 18w T8's that are 9000k. They are the JBL Natr bulbs, i used these in my corner tank and loved the colour.

Congratulations on the new additions! That's a very fertile system you've got there, what with the Apisto fry and the shrimp

thanks Sarah, the apistos are a nice addition to a tank IMO, lets see if she can raise the fry, i have had some offers on them already.

ianho said:
Thanks Creg, the lighting is an Arcadia classic, running 2x 18w T8's that are 9000k. They are the JBL Natr bulbs, i used these in my corner tank and loved the colour.

i have my cheap aps lumaire which uses some unbranded cheap t5 tubes, will any brand of tube fit this light unit? it dosnt seem to show off the colour of the fish or plants aswell as what my arcadia did on my old 60 litre tank.

yes, as long as you have the right measurements and wattage.

Got a nice surprise through the post yesterday from Mark Evans...
Sandwiches?
7048853273_aba15a82f4.jpg
vis2 by Ian Holdich, on Flickr

nope it was a load of E Vesuvius!

7048856135_5d6b316936.jpg
vis3 by Ian Holdich, on Flickr

all the old leaves have now gone from the Tricolour, it's starting to take it's submerged form and getting larger.

6902760314_f9b77b020c.jpg
vis1 by Ian Holdich, on Flickr

Looking nice Ian, any chance of the fry surviving you think?
White widows too, when did they sneak in?
Cheerio,
Ady.

cheers Ady, i think all the fry has gone, the mother is now swimming freely. She also took out some tetras in the deal. I got a few white skirts the other day, they add a little different colour in there. I'm thinking of selling on the rest of the tetras and getting a large school of the white skirts.

ianho said:
cheers Ady, i think all the fry has gone, the mother is now swimming freely. She also took out some tetras in the deal. I got a few white skirts the other day, they add a little different colour in there. I'm thinking of selling on the rest of the tetras and getting a large school of the white skirts.

Shame, but i suppose in a non dedicated breeding set up its unlikely for egg layers to successfully rear young. Pity about the collateral damage tetras too. Maybe moving the smaller ones on and getting som larger species as you suggest would help with the Apistos. Whites skirts, 'marmite' fish, but a good contrast, personally id like to see black widows or black phantoms in this set up, theyd look great! Even flame tetras.
Hatchet fish still there?
Cheerio,
Ady.

@ Ady, i wasn't keen on white skirts until i saw them in the flesh and they really stick out well in a planted tank. The hatchets lasted a week and then all went flying, a real shame cos they looked ace.

@ Mark...no chance mate, it's my new work sandwich container! (ps that was a joke!)

heres a quick pic of the White Skirt Tetras, they are a hard fish to get a decent pic of so you can appreciate them in the tank.

6907718194_6d75c035f7.jpg
whiteskirt1 by Ian Holdich, on Flickr

Heres the pic that inspired me to try this tank (with some obvious differences).

It's also inspired me to totally restock it. My neighbors have just bought another tank and are going to take all the fish off my hands. Await for guppies!

6944272968_eb9e5f8b0c.jpg
amano scape by Ian Holdich, on Flickr

gotta love amano.

i just think the Guppies compliment that tank to perfection.

ianho said:

Have you thought about going for all one colour with yours ? I think the all black ones would look amazing.

I don't know yet, i'm gonna have a look around over the next few days, when the others go. I saw a tank full in my LFS the other week and they are eye catching. They aren't everyones cuppa tea though. Amano uses them a fair bit though, so they can't be bad. :thumbup:

its' hip to be square... ;)

ianho said:
Agreed, I think its the tail shape and the echinodorus leaf shape, big and flowing. Also with the tanks simple look it can take the bright colours of the guppys without distracting from the scape and actually adding to it. They remind me a bit of butterflies with that sky blue background. :shifty:
ianho said:
saw a tank full in my LFS the other week and they are eye catching.
They are eye catching, the Mrs. and the kids will like them too im sure :thumbup: .
Guppys arnt as hardy nowadays through extensive breeding, and they like neutral/alkaline conditions best so maybe some water buffers may be needed with soil and c02? Looking through Nature Aquarium Complete Works, Amanos Guppy scape is one of very few with a neutral PH and slightly higher TH. Sand substrate rather than soil too. :geek:
Id maybe stick with all males to enhance the visual effect.... and prevent weekly trips to the LFS with bags of fry ;)
Im becoming a fan of your tendancy for more unusual fish choices :shh:.
Cheerio,
Ady.

Back