• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Echinodorus tank (the end)

Re: Echinodorus tank (new vid page 9)

Thanks for the comment Rob, i does seem to be coming into it's own at the min.

Cheers Alastair, they add some nice additions of colour.

Got an early birthday present, she has treated me to some TMC LED's. They add a really natural look over the tank.

7113569067_b4a811f3e4.jpg
leds by Ian Holdich, on Flickr

NEw light looks great Ian. What is it made up of ?

cheers Chris, the are 2x TMC 500 natural daylight grow beams with the new TMC brackets. After working out running costs and bulb changes, it works out a lot cheaper to have these, and the effect it gives is great!

Great light.
Can you give details of

"it works out a lot cheaper to have these"

I think alot of people may be surprised by this.

it goes something along the lines of this...

T5 cost breakdown

Wattage of 1 T5's tube: 54W
Kilowatts of 1 T5 tube (watts / 1000 = kw): 0.054kW
Kilowatt hour of 1 T5 tube (kw x hours = kwh): 19.44
Cost in pence (kwh x cost of 1 unit of electricity = cost in pence to run item for 1 month): 330.48
Cost in (pence / 100) to run item for 1 month: £3.30
Cost of 1 T5's tube: £30

Electricity cost to run 2 T5's for 1 month: £6.60
Electricity cost to run 2 T5's for 1 year: £79.20
Replacement tube cost per year: £60.00
Total running cost for 1 year (electricity & replacing tube every year): £139.20
Total running cost for 10 years (electricity & replacing tube every year): £1392.00

LED cost breakdown

Wattage of 1 LED strip: 12W
Kilowatts of 1 LED strip (watts / 1000 = kw): 0.012kW
Kilowatt hour of 1 LED strip (kw x hours = kwh): 4.32
Cost in pence (kwh x cost of 1 unit of electricity = cost in pence to run item for 1 month): 73.44
Cost in (pence / 100) to run item for 1 month: £0.73
Electricity cost to run 1 Aquaray grow beams (2 strips) for 1 month: £1.46
Electricity cost to run 1 Aquaray grow beams (2 strips) for 1 year: £17.52
Total running cost for 10 years: £175.20

Thanks Ian, it is somewhat compelling.

Ian,I think your costs are a little skewed. Most of us do not pay full price now for out tubes and can get them for about a quarter of the figure you have quoted. That notwithstanding, the figures do still compute though. Even if you were to keep the same T5 tube for 5 years and took out the £600 replacement cost you have quoted, its still a lot cheaper to run the LED's you have there.

There are two other costs not mentioned...

One other aspect you have not brought into the equation is "redundancy". Ultimately ours can be a somewhat fickle hobby and we tend to follow trends and change with the technology we use (and I realise that I am a prime participant !!! lol).

The other is initial purchase price.

And even including those in any calculations, I still believe that the LED's work out cheaper :)

Whats more, they look the mutz nutz mate :thumbup:

They also work out cheaper than a brand new Arcadia t5 unit. I can't vouch for the cheap Chinese units though.

hey- any chance of a video- would like to see the unit in detail and the effect it gives ? Looks rather nice.

Guppies are underrated as planted tank fish these days. Nothing impresses women and children more than 1. goldfish 2. guppies. Also, here in Malaysia, guppies are so overbred that they've become genetically weak. I remember 20 years ago guppies were the choice of first time fishkeepers, they look good and they never die. These days cheap-as-chips guppies don't last more than a few weeks in my tanks.

flygja said:
Guppies are underrated as planted tank fish these days. Nothing impresses women and children more than 1. goldfish 2. guppies. Also, here in Malaysia, guppies are so overbred that they've become genetically weak. I remember 20 years ago guppies were the choice of first time fishkeepers, they look good and they never die. These days cheap-as-chips guppies don't last more than a few weeks in my tanks.

Sadly that genetic weakness is not restricted to Malaysia mate :( Its everywhere. They are lovely fish though. One of the first tanks I saw was walled back and sides with Vallis which created a hood to the tank, and Cabomba cut at different heights in bunches with spaces in between. It was about 100cm x 45cm x 45cm and had two hundred male guppies in it. Stunning.

the led lights look great, may i be cheeky and ask how much it cost for everything?

swell UK are selling it - it is not cheap and you need the bracket which is extra.

hey- any chance of a video- would like to see the unit in detail and the effect it gives ?

you don't have to ask twice mate, i'll try to get a quick vid up later.

the led lights look great, may i be cheeky and ask how much it cost for everything?

all in it cost me £170, which i know would have been cheaper to go down the DIY route, but i hate DIY and am quite frankly crap at it. As said a cheap T5 unit would have been £100 (without bulbs), and a decent T5 unit would have been £200+.

Nothing impresses women and children more than 1. goldfish 2. guppies.

You wouldn't believe the amount of women i have pulled just lately...just don't tell the wife! lol

all in it cost me £170, which i know would have been cheaper to go down the DIY route, but i hate DIY and am quite frankly crap at it. As said a cheap T5 unit would have been £100 (without bulbs), and a decent T5 unit would have been £200+.

thats actually a lot cheaper than i would have guessed, still way too expensive for me wish i knew someone who was good at diy who could build one for cheap i bet they give an amazing natural affect to an aquarium

they do create a nice effect over the tank, thats what sold it for me.

heres a quick vid.

Back