• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Echinodorus tank (the end)

Re: Echinodorus tank (Tricolor leaves)

I also noticed the water chemistry in the guppy scapes he's done. There are some others in the aqya journals he's done and the Gh is always higher than his normal. He normally keeps his Gh at around 4 and Ph higher. I'm mixing Ro and Lincoln water at the moment (which is really hard approx 26gh!!). I was gonna stick with males as i can't be doing with being over run.

cheers for the input Ady.

ianho said:
I'm mixing Ro and Lincoln water at the moment (which is really hard approx 26gh!!).
Was just looking through this journal actually, as i remembered from somewhwere that youd started cutting your RO with tap again and that your tap was hard..... dont know from where i remembered this now as its not in this journal, maybe your last one.... not important really. Should all be good then. One of my LFS had a display tank with all male Guppys in recently (not to mention the crashed RAF fighter plane :silent: i suppose theres a market for that somewhere :crazy: ), the fish looked great though, and as you already said, very eyecatching.
Look forward to seeing them soon.
Ady.

cheers again Ady, but those planes are well expensive! I was in P@H getting some dog food and they had a crashed plane for £99!! (not that i had thought about it lol)

Heres part 2 of the Echinodorus tank.

Fast mover Ian. Guppys look solid and the plants are filling in nicely.
ianho said:
I was in P@H getting some dog food and they had a crashed plane for £99!!
:woot: :crazy: I wonder why more people dont use them.... ???
Ady.

Re: Echinodorus tank (new vid page 9)

More Guppies..... need more guppies.....

Looking lovely Ian :thumbup:

I noticed from watching the video Ian, that around the 1 minute mark the background goes dark, and the guppys and plants stand out really well. Have you considered a coloured background, maybe black, or is it something that doesnt appeal to you?
Ady.

Antipofish said:
More Guppies..... need more guppies.....
Dont think anyone has ever said that before! Congratulations ;)

thanks guys...

I noticed from watching the video Ian, that around the 1 minute mark the background goes dark, and the guppys and plants stand out really well. Have you considered a coloured background, maybe black, or is it something that doesnt appeal to you?

I might have a go at a black backing, i don't normally like backgrounds, but i may try one. Before the min mark there is a back light on the tank.

@Chris, i'm really crap at judging how many fish make it aesthetically pleasing.

ianho said:
thanks guys...

I might have a go at a black backing, i don't normally like backgrounds, but i may try one. Before the min mark there is a back light on the tank.

@Chris, i'm really crap at judging how many fish make it aesthetically pleasing.

Hi Ian, I don't think you can say that really. Aesthetics is a personal thing and what one person likes, another will dislike. If you are happy with the numbers that is all that matters ultimately. With guppies, I think their best effect is when they are in larger numbers. Not "fish shop" density, but certainly I think you could get away wih a good 20. Maybe add them a few at a time till you like what you see. Or if you already like what you see then even better (for the wallet too ;) ) Have you moved the Apistogrammas on too ? I had to rehome mine as the female was battering the living daylights out of the male (think they had bred damnit) and he was living behind the spraybar poor chap. I am now told that a couple of males with different body shapes/sizes/colours would be an ideal combination in a tank myself and they should find territories. I am surprised actually that an 80x45 footprint was not enough for a male and female. Some women are just a bit more vicious than others I guess :lol: :lol: :lol: <ducks for cover>

Ooo...with all these guppies, your really spoiling us....er...that's the ferrero rocher advert :shifty:

Looks like your idea is being fulfilled. Good stuff.

@ George, thanks for the compliment, the guppy idea came from the pic on the previous page, when amano did the submersed wabi kusa.

@ Chris, i'll pop a few more in there. As for the apistos...they are now in my neighbours 180 with various tetras, the female cost mew a few quid in killed fish and they had also started picking off the amanos. We live a learn.

@ Mark, thanks for the compliment and cheers for the Ferrero Roche ad commentary!lol

The flash's of colour make a big difference to the tank.

hey foxfish...

the red devils are doing well as are the magdalen, quadricostatus,. The tricolour is doing great (a really nice plant). The ruben has remained very small and is just behind the rock on the left. I took the marble queen out as it was competing with the Tricolour and didn't 'look' right. The Hc has been replaced with glosso and the moss is winning.

E.Vesuvius has also been added for a bit of height as everything is staying really small.

ianho said:
hey foxfish...

the red devils are doing well as are the magdalen, quadricostatus,. The tricolour is doing great (a really nice plant). The ruben has remained very small and is just behind the rock on the left. I took the marble queen out as it was competing with the Tricolour and didn't 'look' right. The Hc has been replaced with glosso and the moss is winning.

E.Vesuvius has also been added for a bit of height as everything is staying really small.

The vesuvius will look great Ian. One of my favourites even though I don't have any yet. Out of interest why did you replace the HC ?

the Vesuvius is just melting as we speak...I wanted to try glosso in a large tank, as i have only tried it in smaller tanks. Also seeing marks glosso made me want to have a go.

heres a quick pic from a few mins ago.

6955442964_9bdbf2de2e.jpg
guppy by Ian Holdich, on Flickr

Lovely pic Ian, a great angle, nice ripples and guppys suiting it well.

Ian, photography like that makes me want to get Guppies too !!! :) Guppies apart, that is an awesome image. You were good to start but I have seen your pics get better and better mate.

Vesuvius melting as in expected melt or surprised melt ? I know some plants do melt when their conditions change.

Lovely scape, and think the guppies really suit the feel of it. If you want something different I have a nice group of True Wild guppies you can have.

]Lovely pic Ian, a great angle, nice ripples and guppys suiting it well.

Thanks Ady, was quite please with this pic.

Guppies apart, that is an awesome image. You were good to start but I have seen your pics get better and better mate.

Vesuvius melting as in expected melt or surprised melt ? I know some plants do melt when their conditions change.

Cheers for the compliment Chris, it's appriciated. As for the Vasuvuis, it does tend to melt when put in different conditions apparenlty.

Lovely scape, and think the guppies really suit the feel of it. If you want something different I have a nice group of True Wild guppies you can have.

Thanks Gill, it wasn't my idea, Amano though of it first. I would love some wild guppies, but i haven't got a clue where i would find them.

Back