• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

GU10 LED in the water!

tmiravent

Today was not a very lucky day.:(
I took out one of my GU10 Led to take some measures but it was alive and jump out of my hand!:what:
Directly to the water.
1-_DSC3383.jpg

What can i say:
- GU10 doesn't float, that's for shore!

I grab it from the bottom of the tank and dry the best that i could.
I took out the 'black' isolation of the transformer.
I will wait a few days before test the bulb.
Low changes for a miracle.
cheers,
tiago

Its not normally water per se that kills electronics, its the salts and other things in water that destroys electronics.

I worked for a company that made sonar logging computers and surprise surprise we often had them returned to retrieve the logged data after they had been for an accidental swim:rolleyes:

We washed the boards in distilled water, washed in 50% IPA & water and rinsed with IPA. Generally all were made to work to retrieve data.

However, generally after say 6 months odd they would fail. Basically water got into any plated components eg component legs, wires, connectors etc and plating would be pushed off as an eruption of "salts" would occur, corroding the connection away.

You will probably be ok as our boards tended to be in salt water and maybe under water for a while before being retrieved.

In your favour the bulb will give out heat thus stopping further water damage, how ever against, it won't be on 24/7, its above/near a water source, water if ei dosed will be packed with salts...I expect it will just work but fail, eventually prematurely.

So just use and make the most of its recovered life..:)

Back