• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Hunters Realm

Quick Vid, You can see some of the sakura cherries milling around in the tall hairgrass.
Was feeding time, so the cories were sifting for food. look great in a large group.
still got loads of the rasboras, family likw it that full of fish. I would like to reduce the numbers more.
Can also see a few of the micro crabs on the inlet, they like to sit there and pick bits of food.
Tried to get some of the Hunters(Indostomus crocodylus - Crocodile Toothpick) in the vid, but they were not out yet. As they spend most of the time in amongst the bogwood and come out when I feed them the BBS.

not done anything with the planted baskets as we are having major building works ATM. Decided to put in an extension downstairs, new kitchen, and a loft conversion with stairs. so will be waiting for that to be fininshed.

No problems with feeding time, target feed them using the pipettes and also use a little longer one, to shoot them into the bogwood area.
I am really liking Ocean Nutritiions Instant BBS liquid feed, Tiny Pot lasts ages.

Also finding that the DIY air curtain I spent ages making with a needle stops going after a while. So trying out one of the newer curtains, made from Bic Biro type plastic casings with multi directional fittings. Looks good so far, and will install it at water change time later on tonight(once little one is asleep). I want to keep it clear as have LED lighting beneath it and the light shine up into the bubbles in the evening.

Little one decided to come down and help during the water change and trim. decided to Help with the trim, and pulled out a few bunches of hair grass using one of the planting tongs. He was very happy with his effort to help, suffice to say that his mother came down quickly to remove him before he did more damage.
Will replant the floaters this evening once the builders have gone.
The joys of tanks and kids, I have told him that the little pico bowl is his. And he turns on/off the lighting when needed, and feeds the crabs and shrimp their food when directed.

I am loving all the changes that are occuring in the male endlers. Such a variety of colors and patterns emerging, Seen some peacocks, snakeskin, top sword, bottom sword, doublle sword, half black, reds, oranges, greens. Most interested in the Half Blacks as some have good contrast between the base color and the black, some are red and black while others are green and black etc.

One thing I am puzzled about are the interlopers in amongst the Rasboras. I have noticed a few barbs among them, have not seen them before so not sure what type they are. They have exactly the same markings and colors as the rasboras, definite whiskers, deep bodied and fast. These fish stay towards the substrate level and do not venture up towards the top of the tank. Going to have a google to see If I can ID, have an inkling about clown barbs but need to image search them first. As they do remind me very much of them, just that the markings on them are the same as the rasbora.

Going to see if I can catch one of them at the next water change so that they can be ID'd properly and also some of the half balck endlers.

Just rewatching the video I Posted and you can see one @ 2.56-3.02 just in the middle of the shot then zooming off towards the middle back

Been into town this morning, Got some of the root tabs from poundland to test out in a small test tank. Will set this up later.
Also was in Home Bargains and the acrylic planting baskets are 69pence there in different sizes.
After seeing what people have achieved using tesco cat litter, I think I am going to try some once the building works have been completed.

Right got lazy and did not do a water change. So went to tesco tonight and bought the cat litter, as plants have arrived. Have to wait for my sons bed time, as otherwise he wants to help catch the fish all the while I am trying to scape.
Going to raise the level of the substrate and go for a raised corner sloping down.
Is going to be a chore catching the micro crabs, so that they do not get buried under the cat litter. Hoping it does not take to long to catch over 100 of them.
I have prepared the cat litter for use, was very easy and did not take long to wash it. By doing it in small amounts was very quick.

OK, so the cat litter I love how it looks. nothing uniform about it, lots of differing sizes and color is ok. Thought I had rinsed it enough, but as soon as it hit the water it clouded the tank. So was scaping blind, there are lots of gaps and the Hydrocoytle would not stay planted (the litter is very light) so left it in clumps and weighted it down till it roots in. Was somewhat worried about the sulphurous smell from the litter once it had been rinsed, but not lost anything from the tank overnight. With this color can they Crabs really Pop, and are more visible this morning. Will get some more plants to fill in the gaps, will Add Co2 as soon as I get it ready. Will have it placed under the inlet for best dispersal in the water cloumn.

The air curtain I ordered was faulty, but have left it in till replacement comes in the post.

One thing I noticed last night was that on the Inlet Strainer, I have lots of Little sesame seed shaped nodules. Anyone know what they could be, are they good/bad. I can't see what if anything they are doing as so small.

Water has cleared up alot since last night and really like the look of the substrate now.

So Much for the rescape, Builders need the tank moved out of the way for the new stairs to come into the house. Going to be a Long Day, but will give me the excuse to tinker with the tank again and all the wiring.

Took a while to move the tank, harscape did not move much, so that was good. Had to use planks of 2*4 to push the tank along the floor, from the hall in to the living room. As there was not enough room to carry it with all the building supplies taking up room everywhere. Managed to snap the inlet pipe while fixing it back in place, and then on the plus side the wife does not like the inlet/outlet pipework. So looks like I can have some lilly pipes, which are the best to get nowadays. standard lilly or poppy.

Not done much with it for a bit. Crypts are settling in and new leaves appearing. Still having issues with getting the hydro to root and stop trying to float away.
ordered some new plants, Apon nana, and some marimo balls. I simply don't like a scape without these in it. Not going to do anything with them, just let them sit where they land in the tank. Ordered 20 large ones, so should be enough for all of the tank.
Taken out the air curtain as did not like it anymore and the air pump was getting annoying.
Did have a little hiccup with the external at water change on tuesday, Managed to back wash the filter into the tank after doing the water change. Did not know this function was what the plunger did if pushed to hard in succession. Not toooo much gunk went back into the tank, just what was growing in the pipework, so the shrimp have taken care of it all. Really liking how Crypts look, as had gone of them for a few years, since having them in my Ribbon Guppy tank from years ago.
Managed to loose the Brand new Co2 Diffuser I had ordered, and No idea where my Old one is from years ago. So will have to order a new one, still going to go with DIY as have had good results with it in the past.

Been looking around for a new lily cup diffuser and found this lovely set for £4.00 delivered(had a paypal voucher to use). Looks very nice and should be with me next week.
fdsc_0849.jpg

Birthday this week, so ordered myself some more plants and bought some from a member on here. And also a new filter, Mine is not sounding too good. £20.00 delivered for a huge external from china, it has lasted a few years and done an excellent job. Even with my clumsiness and cracking the taps and having to simply push fit the fittings. Would recommend the Jin-Long brand of external filters for a cheaper alternative for those on a budget.

Reactions: tim
Vertigo has been bad since yesterday so been sitting in the armchair in front of the tank most of the time. Noticed that the Clown Barb, is eating the sakura shrimp. watched him earlier demolish a shrimp. So it will have to go.

Back