• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Interested in adding more floating plants

Hello all.
I have added Limnobium laevigatum to my new tank and I would love to add more floating plant types.
I love the look of Dwarf Water Lettuce and will be adding this and was wondering what other interesting species people keep?
Cheers
For floating plants I have Frogbit (L. Laevigatum), Duckweed and Brazilian pennywort... pennywort is an excellent floater in my experience.

Cheers,
Michael

I like Salvinia auriculata (natans), not the best looking one but very hardy and good at staying a surface plant (unlike my Phyllanthus fluitans which I constantly have to save from drowning).

I’ve also got salvinia (and frogbit), not entirely sure which one. I’ve always got some going spare if you want some (tiny tanks + fast growing floaters = lots of compost)

Ceratopteris gets my vote but I've never seen it for sale in this form. PM if you'd like some plantlets.

Attachments

• DSCN1837.JPG
    DSCN1837.JPG
    328.4 KB · Views: 128
Hi
Those are floating spongy white rafts, twig like!
The roots can turn a reddish colour.
If I remember correctly this floating plant was first featured here in the featured journal
Konrad did sell it for a time....I think it might be a seasonal plant.....sometimes the garden centres might have it occasionaly!
hoggie

Appears to be rarer than rocking horse turd on this side of the 'pond', but I chanced on this site just now . .

Hopefully this is the right stuff!!!

Edit: 6x left now for anyone else that wants some!

Dont put these in your aquarium when you receive them if you have shrimp....they are treated
Plants are incubated in a soultion of 0.01% of the insecticide Buprafezin for one hour (Please do not just drop these in a shrimp tank or with any other crustacean. To use these within a tank please wash in water with baking soda under light. These are treated to remove the insecticide but there are cases where this has not been fully removed causing casualty’s in crustacean.

Dont put these in your aquarium when you receive them if you have shrimp....they are treated
Plants are incubated in a soultion of 0.01% of the insecticide Buprafezin for one hour (Please do not just drop these in a shrimp tank or with any other crustacean. To use these within a tank please wash in water with baking soda under light. These are treated to remove the insecticide but there are cases where this has not been fully removed causing casualty’s in crustacean.

Yeah, I noticed that - does the baking soda neutralize any remaining Buprafezin presumably? When it says "wash in water with baking soda under light", do you actually need to soak it for a period of time?

Yeah, I noticed that - does the baking soda neutralize any remaining Buprafezin presumably? When it says "wash in water with baking soda under light", do you actually need to soak it for a period of time?

To answer my own question, apparently its alkaline water (pH above 8.5) that neutralizes the Buprafezin, and it is recommend to soak for 48 hours. I'll probably give it a week to be sure.

One amazing feature of this plants is if you touch it......It reacts and closes its leaves!
It uses a lot of energy doing this so don't be messing about with it.....as the leaves are quite delicate and will shed some if not happy!
hoggie

One amazing feature of this plants is if you touch it......It reacts and closes its leaves!
It uses a lot of energy doing this so don't be messing about with it.....as the leaves are quite delicate and will shed some if not happy!
hoggie

Interesting stuff! How fast does it grow?

Back