• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Is this diatom and am I doing ok?

Whilst you all talk science I am losing my fight with this tank .
I have completed daily water changes throughout sometimes twice daily.
I have physically removed diatoms
I have checked co2 amounts and feel I am on the money with the amount needed for this tank .
I might have flow issues but I don’t believe flow issues would kill new plants this fast .
I have added floating plans and fast stem plants which the latter have died within days . I have decreased lights and still not seen any improvement.
I have dosed ferts daily never missing a day.
Basically I have wasted 7 weeks of my life fighting a losing battle and still have no answers to what is wrong.
One last thing to try is to get a small pump to improve flow but apart from that I am at a loss and don’t think anyone who has chipped in can give me any ideas on what is wrong .
Thanks for everyone that has tried to help.

Hi all,
and don’t think anyone who has chipped in can give me any ideas on what is wrong .
Apologies, we are trying, and you will eventually get there, but there are potentially a lot of <"moving bits to line up">.
I have added floating plans and fast stem plants which the latter have died within days . I have decreased lights and still not seen any improvement.
I have dosed ferts daily never missing a day.
Basically I have wasted 7 weeks of my life fighting a losing battle and still have no answers to what is wrong.
One last thing to try is to get a small pump to improve flow but apart from that I am at a loss and don’t think anyone who has chipped in can give me any ideas on what is wrong .
The <"Floating fern"> (Salvinia auriculata group) looks OK, but it doesn't look like it is romping away and it has a very "low light" look. Have a look at <"Salvinia Cucullata">, that is what high light Salvinia looks like.

salvinia_highlight-jpg-jpg.jpg

The marks are fungal. but look like they might have appeared on leaves damaged by fertiliser burn or <"water droplet lensing">. Because it is a floating plant, neither flow nor CO2 is really relevant. I'll copy in @KirstyF because she had a thread <"Salvinia issue?"> which never really had a conclusion.

I'd try turning the light back up, if your floating plant doesn't improve you will know it isn't light, flow or CO2, and that only leaves the <"fourteen mineral nutrients">.

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
I have added floating plans and fast stem plants which the latter have died within days
You still don't believe me. Perhaps my poor English, or because I'm in a minority. It's a pity.
What's the main difference between floating and submerged plants? Floating plants take gasses (carbon dioxide and oxygen) from the air above the water surface.;)

Might be a good time to immerse yourself in the Journals @Stephen swan you can see all kinds of problems can affect a planted aquarium in the early stages . I am also in the if you struggle with a plant ,try another, like Darrel .

I don't really bookmark journals just tend to look in on them. Just a matter of looking through and follow the journey. I always refer back must have read loads of times the articles/ tutorials .You could ask admin to put your journey as a journal. Put plenty more pictures up

not much left in terms of plants now even the floating plants roots have loads of Diatoms attached . I would say another week and this tank will be boxed up and placed in the loft
Still have no clue what is wrong apart from Mac saying something wrong with the ADA soil and bacteria growing in it causing poor oxygen .

If you are ready to give up, maybe it is time for some different approaches...

I'd try activated carbon or similar. Maybe there is something nasty in your water that it may remove. At the very least, it may reduce the oxygen load by removing eventual dissolved organics.

Did you try snails? I had some good experience with them eating brown algae.

Despite all the algae, I don't see in your pictures clear signs of the plants dying at the rate you are describing.

I don't really bookmark journals just tend to look in on them. Just a matter of looking through and follow the journey. I always refer back must have read loads of times the articles/ tutorials .You could ask admin to put your journey as a journal. Put plenty more pictures up
I have read George farmer book front to back and have watched nearly every video from green aqua on YouTube .
I have been doing planted scapes for a few years on and off so have good basic knowledge .
It’s not like I’m brand new to this but I think the issues with this tank go beyond basic knowledge and even the advanced scapers are struggling to give me advice on causes and cures .
Mac has put it down to soil
Others have said co2 and flow and one or two have said lighting .

If you are ready to give up, maybe it is time for some different approaches...

I'd try activated carbon or similar. Maybe there is something nasty in your water that it may remove. At the very least, it may reduce the oxygen load by removing eventual dissolved organics.

Did you try snails? I had some good experience with them eating brown algae.

Despite all the algae, I don't see in your pictures clear signs of the plants dying at the rate you are describing.
I have purigen in the filter

If things go in this completely unsatisfactory direction, I'd suggest to take a rest - both physical and emotional. We have all gone through failures, all honest hobbyists would confirm that.
Enough to say, there's something wrong in the tank. @dw1305 quoted some source which described it excellently. In fact, everything is controlled by microbes. And given time, things will get working smoothly.
In your shoes, I'd turn off all stuff (except the filter, perhaps), cover the tank with a blanket, and forget about it for several (I mean, at least five) weeks. Occasionally, you can make partial water changes. And then, relaxed, you can come back. It's likely that you'll be more successful. Don't give up! :cool:

Last edited:
Regarding my salvinia issue. Never really solved it as such. Pretty sure it wasn’t fertiliser burn as changing the way I dosed made no difference. The die off was worst where the plants sat on top of very dense curled up Vals on the surface but improved when some of the Vals were cleared and it also improved as the tank matured. It will now tolerate denser Vals better than before, but I still get a wee bit of die off if they get too manic. (Believe me they can get awfully busy)

So for me, it could be a lack of circulation to the roots or detritus build up as junk gets caught up in the Vals or AN other but not sure how much this really helps you I’m afraid.

Regarding your issues, my 5 pennies worth:

I know it’s not ur first rodeo so apologies if anything here is like teaching you to suck eggs but it’s just my take.

Looks like a large percentage of your plant mass is Monte Carlo, which is a bugger to clear/clean and does a great job of capturing any detritus and decaying matter (especially if flow is a little suspect) It also ideally likes a reasonable amount of light and it’s fairly keen on Co2.

Higher light in a new tank is a bit of an invitation for issues, as is inconsistent Co2.

You mention your Co2 drop after 7hrs but Co2 should be consistent from lights on to lights off!! (I might be misinterpreting this, apologies if that is the case)

You’ve also had new aquasoil which some plants can be sensitive to for a multitude of reasons.

As mentioned, processing organics from either the soil or from decaying matter all sucks up oxygen too.

The highlight for me here is that you are getting nitrites, which is ideally not something you ought to be seeing 7 weeks in and would imply that your bacterial colony is not coping with what is being thrown at it.

If it were me, I would either do what @_Maq_ has suggested and pull the plants, put the tank into a dark start, let it cycle for a good while and then start again or, if that seems too harsh, pull the Monte Carlo, lower the light somewhat, add a whole bunch of of cheap rapid easy stems that will work with that lower light and let the tank cycle out that way for a good while before starting again.

I am not an expert, but I’ve never had an algae issue starting a tank out with lower light…..and on that basis, I’ve never started a tank with plants that want higher light.

My main high tech tank (with aquasoil) only had a two week dark start before planting, then daily water changes for 10 days, moving to twice per week for around 3 weeks and then to once per week. My low tech (with just 20% aquasoil to inert sand) I just threw a ton of easy fast growing stuff in and went straight to weekly water changes. (Not exactly following recommended practice)

…..But both were low light start ups (the low tech remains that way) and the only algae I ever experienced was a little gsa. I’ve had some further algae issues as I’ve increased light in the high tank but mostly specific to slow growers and all pretty low level so very manageable.

I think it’s often too much too soon that brings new tanks down and once the damage cycle sets in, it can be really tough to bring it back.

Could be simply that the conditions weren’t right for the Monte Carlo to thrive and that tipped the balance. Deterioration creates organics, that feeds algae and bacteria, causes reduction in oxygen, makes the system less hospitable, all of which causes more organics and so on….before you know it you are in a hole you can’t climb out of.

Letting the system mature somewhat before you ask it to do anything too challenging at least improves your odds….and making sure you have the right conditions and a good balance in place at the outset helps (good stable Co2, good flow, not too much light) That way the issues are less likely to run away on you like a steam train.

I really do hope you get it sorted and it doesn’t end up in the loft 🙁 what doesn’t kill us makes us stronger right!……so odds on, your next bash at it, is gonna rock!! 👍😊

Thanks for that Kirsty F, allot of good points made and do agree that once things turn a corner it’s hard to pull it back.
Don’t think I would touch Monte Carlo again, it doesn’t seem to root very well.
If the worst happens I will take your advice add some cheap easy plants and let the tank mature and then maybe in a few months try again.

Please don't give up, heaving the thing into the loft seems way too much effort! I'm sure many of us have had a tank which, looking back, was a total failure. I know I have!
What @KirstyF said seems an excellent plan to save your sanity & save the tank. Many people do a dark start like @_Maq_ suggested or there's the throw in lots of easy stems method but both ways keep your system running otherwise it's back to the start again.
Your vision for the layout may have to change but that's the nature of it after all & there are plenty of plants out there still to try!

I don’t want to speak to soon but I think things are slowly improving since I put a air stone in here set to nighttime when lights are out. I’m seeing less diatoms and more healthy growth from Monte Carlo and S repens. @_Maq_ i think you where on the money my friend .
Nitrites -0
I’ve also noticed PH is slightly higher .
Waiting for small usb pump coming which will hopefully help flow and Co2 distribution.

Attachments

• EE3F9DB7-FE30-4FE9-8D89-51E0C0867EA7.jpeg
    EE3F9DB7-FE30-4FE9-8D89-51E0C0867EA7.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 105
Back