• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
  • Most of the remaining team are off on holiday meaning the forum does not have sufficient cover. As such the site will be placed in maintenance mode where it can be viewed but no posts/threads can be made and will remain this way until August 11th, apologies for the inconvience.

Juwel Rio 125 flow issue

pitom

Seedling
Hi,
I have a 3 week old aquarium. Here are the photos:
https://plus.google.com/photos/1065...s/6140906371010790929?authkey=CKiU16H3uqGKtwE

For a couple of days now, there are issues with plants melting, mostly in two areas. First one is in the back left behind the driftwood with microsorum - I have Ludwigia arcurata there and it melted in about a 10 cm patch. I left them to see if they recover, but then turned black and started to rot. The second one is on the surface near the filter base - area behind the white rock. I have Rotala sp. bonsai there and it also melts. Going through information on this forum I understand this is lack of adequate water flow in these areas.

You can see the filter outlet in the link, now I have turned it a bit down so that the flow is against the mid center of the front glass. Water is sucked into the filter from the top of the filter housing. I think it would be better if the inlet is in the bottom, but that's the way the filter is designed.

What are my best options without investing in additional filter?
- change filter pump from 600 l/h to 1000 l/h
- add a circulation pump or another internal - near the current filter or maybe in the other corner? Where should the outlet point?
- install a spray bar on the back wall - I fear the flow will not be enough if it is split to many holes in a spray bar
- increase height of substrate in the back?
- any other ideas?

Thanks!

My roma 125 has a 1000lph filter and a 900lph powerhead pretty much in the same area the back right hand side. 1000lph really isn't enough for this tank as it won't power a spray bar properly and if you're not using a spray back you need to power the water across the whole tank with enough force to send the returning flow along the bottom of the tank.

I have the same tank (Juwel Rio 125). I upgraded to a 1000 lph internal pump which is connected to a spray bar. I also have an external 1400lph filter connected to a second spray bar.

In a high-tech tank, you're going to need a spray bar. If an external is out of the question, then upgrade to a 1000 lph internal and attach a spray bar to the outlet.

Thanks! I will upgrade the pump then and attach a spray bar as the first step - do you know which standard spray bar will fit? 9/12 or 12/16 or 16/22? I understand that in order to connect it to Juwel outlet I will need a short piece of hose with inside diameter matching outside diameter of the spray bar and Juwel outlet?

I got a 12/16 TetraTec spray bar and I could attach it to the outlet without any additional modifications.

Just for test I have inserted an internal eheim filter rated at 550 l/h and flow appeared in the dead spot in the back! I will then buy koralia nano 900 l/h. It should be enough power to push the water from one end of the tank to another. That's the cheapest solution at the same time, hopefully it solves the problem.

-Sorrry to hijack the thread but while we are talking about it....

Sounds like the general consensus is that a spray bar is much more effective running along the top back of the tank
and down the front of the tank, my question to that is????

-How to you evenly distrubute the CO2 then?
-How do the fish deal with this?
-Do the plants at the back even get current then?

-
-How to you evenly distrubute the CO2 then?
-How do the fish deal with this?
-Do the plants at the back even get current then?

-The spray bar does a good job of this though bubbles can be trapped at the end of it sometimes if the flow isn't great enough.
- My Gourami hate it so use a lily outlet to have a surface dead spot, most other fish shouldn't care.
- Yes the water comes up the back from the bottom of the tank to replace the water being pushed by the spray bar in a circular motion

Back