• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Mori no shinden

That looks sweet mate. You could grow some moss up the stalks of that wood, would look very natural. You buy that today? Wish they did smaller bits of that wood so i could get some, looks awesome.
Cheers Darren I'm not happy with it still though I'm going to try reposition the wood it looked a lot smaller in the shop ha. I'm sure you can do a bit of snapping and cutting mate.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Rock positioning looks good mate. The wood looks a little out of place though. It might look totally different when planted up but stuck right in the middle it detracts from the nice lay out of the rocks.
Could it not sit in amongts the stones on the right

Ps that aqua soil you showed is best used as a base layer and if your going to regularly be uprooting it could get muddy

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

Hi,
the wood is vine wood, its a soft wood and eventually rots when submerged. You get an initial mould/fungus from resins still held within the wood which clears after a few weeks. I had some in my 'Dragons Crypt' tank and it lasted around 10 months before developing another fungus which made me remove it to find very soft wood. Looks nice though and ok for short term use. I suspect large and frequent water changes helped in keeping good water quality as the wood deteriorated....but thats just speculation, it didnt seem to smell too bad.
Also worth considering is that it floats if not pre-saturated, so if your planning on using it id get it in a bucket for a few weeks so it will be ready for use :thumbup:
Cheerio,
Ady.

Rock positioning looks good mate. The wood looks a little out of place though. It might look totally different when planted up but stuck right in the middle it detracts from the nice lay out of the rocks.
Could it not sit in amongts the stones on the right

Ps that aqua soil you showed is best used as a base layer and if your going to regularly be uprooting it could get muddy

cheers Al, all im looking for is about 2cm extra depth so i think a base layer of the aqua soil should get me the depth im looking for as well as something nice for the roots. I agree with you on the wood in fact it was changed very soon after posting. Im really happy with the rock work on the right side but the wood looked a lot smaller in a store full of large aquariums.

20130630_210051.jpg

i like thiis look it has an almost "Jurassic" look to it and i think some crypts could really add to it
my real problem is i keep thinking this is much bigger than it really is.

Hi,
the wood is vine wood, its a soft wood and eventually rots when submerged. You get an initial mould/fungus from resins still held within the wood which clears after a few weeks. I had some in my 'Dragons Crypt' tank and it lasted around 10 months before developing another fungus which made me remove it to find very soft wood. Looks nice though and ok for short term use. I suspect large and frequent water changes helped in keeping good water quality as the wood deteriorated....but thats just speculation, it didnt seem to smell too bad.
Also worth considering is that it floats if not pre-saturated, so if your planning on using it id get it in a bucket for a few weeks so it will be ready for use :thumbup:
Cheerio,
Ady.

Cheers Ady.. i dont plan on keeping this going for a very long time maybe 6 months tops so this should work out OK i still have a few more bits to sort out before i get it filled too so the wood will be well soaked before hand and probably tied to some rock. belt and braces as they say ;).

Ali

Quick one on this. Looks like I'm going to be moving house thus no updates whatsoever. Don't want to make a start on it only to have tear it down or attempt to move it intact. I will of course be getting it going asap when everything is sorted. May even be able get some of my larger tanks running in my bigger house :)

Cheers

Ali

This house is falling apart, land lord seems to be non existent and next door are buildind an extension that will block out all sun from our garden.

ebeqy7y7.jpg

Unfortunately the glass and well everything really is not clean as I would like but packing and whatnot is taking its toll. Just glad its only round the corner so this can be transported with ease

Thanks a lot guys.

In that tank I had:

Ludwigie sp. Atlantis
Ludwigia repens
Lobelia cardinalis
Hydrocotyle tripartita
Some sort of rotala (I found a 4cm long stem in some hydrocotyle I got from ghost sword)
Vallisneria Nana
Hemianthus callitrichoides
Hemianthus micranthemoides
Eleocharis acicularis
Alternanthera reineckii (pink)
Anubias barteri var. nana

Wow I didn't think the list would be that long. It started out with so little but turned into a bit of a garden :rolleyes:

Anyway the move has gone OK but hit me in the pocket but now all I need are plants and I can get the tmc up and running!

Cheers
Ali

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 4

I'm totally going to plant this tomorrow! Man its been a long wait! I want for it to be an artistic master piece but I'm sure it is going to be an over grown garden. Stay tuned :)

Hello good people. So months later I have finally got round to planting this tank. I have spent all day doing so. (House is still a mess after the move so it kind of hindered my working)

I have a soar back and wrinkled fingers but I am happy with what I have achieved.

So here are some pictures taken straight after planting....

apa7emah.jpg

vatu5equ.jpg

deza2ama.jpg

3u9e8eru.jpg

y5yja8em.jpg

The vine wood has been soaking for some 3 weeks but still refuses to stay down I attempted to stick it with some super glue but it was even too buoyant for that so until further notice it is being weighted with some unsightly stones. I was not able to hold off planting any longer....

I will update the plant list shortly :) right now I need to eat!!

Just realised I have put one of the branches in wrong...... its the wrong way round entirely....... well more to do tomorrow.

Note to self:

No late nights drinking before assembling a new layout.

Water change done this morning and swapped out the lily as it was not giving enough flow for such a built up layout, so black spray bar until I can cough up funds for glass or make an acrylic one.

I just saw that strange thing is its fine on my tapatalk but not on browser....... hmmmmm

Back