• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
This temperature may be a problem for some species but IME some others will do well. My Ludwigia, Rotala and Hydrocotyle for example do well in winter in the terrace pond, as well as any moss I have tried (the lowest temperature here in winter is 5C but normally around 8-10C).
If I'm not wrong these species come from areas which are just subtropical and can deal with cooler temperatures. The point IMO is if you want them growing steadily or if it is ok with you if they reduce their growth rate

Jordi

It's amazing how much it grows in just a week or 2
20141217_175355b_zps734de81b.jpg

20141217_175403b_zps31e1d991.jpg

20141217_175409b_zps98e2f22d.jpg

They do really well in the propagator, but as soon as I take them out they start to go bad and rot away. My guess is that they are not yet used to living at a lower humidity, but why does it look as if they rot from the bottom.....???

I the first picture is one WK with HC they are selling here now and this one will be opened up soon to see what it's made of.

Hi Martin,
Looking fab mate ;)
I think they rot from the bottom as the root ball is in water ?? When you take them out the roots die back so rot mould sets in:( Try a layer of gravel or matting in the box too keep the W-K moist not wet then the roots will adjust to moist conditions and grow stronger as a result :)

Hi Martin,
Looking fab mate ;)
I think they rot from the bottom as the root ball is in water ?? When you take them out the roots die back so rot mould sets in:( Try a layer of gravel or matting in the box too keep the W-K moist not wet then the roots will adjust to moist conditions and grow stronger as a result :)
I've tried to keep them moist with a gravel under layer and just water (same as in the box "propagator"), both ways 't work ...while in the box they are standing in water (which is changed every week), but when I take one out it's as if he is home sick and slowly goes bad, when I got it back in the box it seems to feel better again....
The only one that is doing good so far is the one with UG, but it is still covered with cling foil (with some holes in it) and it's feet are in water.....

It's getting to cold now and I will try in a few weeks to open the lid of the box little by little.

20141221_162709_zps085d8a8a.jpg

I wish I could keep it this clean all the time. This photo was taken on december 21, 2014, plants have grown enormously now except for the HC which is slowly getting yellowish. Still didn't replants that, I hope to be able to do that soon.

The basic problem with plants : they're living things !! ;):arghh:
You need to know when things are at their peak................and then slash, right there ('cause it can only go downhill)
When I do exibition tanks, the biggest challenge is really not to grow a beautyfull tank, but to make all plants peak at the same time - and ofcourse exactly on the date of exibition.
- so much easier to grow for a photo to send for some competition..........

This is why my big tank at home was called "Noah's Ark" for several years. :rolleyes:
When we dismiseed test-plants at work, I couldn't find the strength to throw them for good...........so a lot of them was given asylum in my home tank.
I, too, ran out of space - so now I only "save" species and varieties, I find particulary good in some way. Some of those are really difficult to obtain, and terrific aquatic plants, though not commersially desirable.
- but at some point you just HAVE to learn to throw out plants.........:(

Back