• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Plastic Fantastic

Re: Drifting - Algae Woes

Just been reading that I should cut down the hairgrass quite low, Is this correct - Oh and it is Cladophora algae

Gill said:
Just been reading that I should cut down the hairgrass quite low, Is this correct - Oh and it is Cladophora algae
This is correct :thumbup:

Callum said:
Gill said:
This is correct :thumbup:

Thanks, Been done and removed as much as I can.

sanj said:
I am not keen on Marimos. The only time I ever kept them years ago the cladophora algae started to get everywhere. I got rid of those green balls and it took a while to eventually get rid of all the cladophora.

However, you seem to those hairy balls so.... :p :lol:

It Is Strange, as I have been keeping them for years and never had this problem before.
Might remove them and see what happens.

Increased Flow within the tank, Not made any difference.
I am contemplating Stripping it down and starting again. The Algae has covered All the Java Moss, Is growing in the Guppy Grass, Is in the Vallis, and is in tufts in the substrate.

Been thinking about what type of scape I would do and thinking of going back to the Original Layout.
I do have a Sunken Ship that I want to use, so that would be interesting.

Now this might be a little controversial but I have done Non Planted tanks in the past using Silk and Plastic Plants. And have looked good. I am eyeing up alot of plants on eBay at the moment that are nice and colourful for the little one. Saying that I do have a Range nearby but have never looked at the Silk/Plastic range. So Will have to pop there after work in the morning to have a browse and price up how much it would cost. And Also the Silk flowers section of the store. As there are sometimes some very very nice silk plants in there to be used.

Had a Browse round at the selection of silk and plastic plants. Sydeco ones look really good, but pricey in the stores.

Pulled out the plants and all the moss, Everything had the algae on it. Stangely though the Lotus' are free of it. Don't know why.
Have started to remove the substrate in stages as to, not create a massive spike in the tank. Was suprised by how much i have added since the tank started.

I did buy a Large Bushy looking plastic plant from the range, as it was only a fiver and is nice and big.

I Think I am going to go with plastic plants from china, as for the price of 1 plant here from the shops. I can buy 5 from china inc. postage.

sanj said:
I am really not liking this turn Gill. Are you feeling ok?

This does not sound very good at all :thumbdown: come on, you can't go all plastic on a real plant forum.... We have all had algae problems and know the frustration... Look sit down count to a hundred, take a deep breath and plan your next scape out using REAL plants... Go on, you can do it :thumbup:

PS, besides you will still get algae in some form on plastic ones eventually...

sanj said:

Lol, I am Just a bit frustrated with Plants at the Moment. And going to take a break from them.
Don't worry I can still do an asthetically pleasing scape using plastic and silk.

Gary Nelson said:
sanj said:

This does not sound very good at all :thumbdown: come on, you can't go all plastic on a real plant forum.... We have all had algae problems and know the frustration... Look sit down count to a hundred, take a deep breath and plan your next scape out using REAL plants... Go on, you can do it :thumbup:

PS, besides you will still get algae in some form on plastic ones eventually...

Nah, Already started on the slippery slope of fakery.

Here is my Arow tank from a few years back. Silk and a mix of live

Picture053.jpg

Re: Drifting - Oh Dear Me - Fakery Abound

Harscaping Done, Found some really Nice Peices @ World of Water. And there was 10% sale due to Storm Damage to the Whole of the Fish Room. The staff were not sure when any fish would be back on sale as that area has been closed off.
Wifey Wants to go Fish shopping with me tommorrow, as she wants some Orange colored fish for the tank --- Yes You heard that right, the wife wants to choose her own fish for the tank. So will be going to A5 in Nuneaton, or maybe MA Shirley.

Browsing the Internet for Atificial plants, It is Amazing the variety you can now purchase. Found some nice plants that I would not be able to grow if live. And again ordering from the far east is Soooooo Much Cheaper than the Uk Online/LFS'.

And on Another note, I think that people have forgotten that George has done a scape using Artificial Hardscaping. :woot:

So we went to Dobbies in Mancetter. And the wife really liked it. At first she wanted to buy shubinkins, I had to explain how big they get and would eat the smaller fish. After asking me about this fish and that fish and wandering around looking at all the tanks. She and my little Boy settled on a pair of Orange Sailfin Mollies. And on a Pleasant Surprise the Assistant Manager from WOW Rugby is now working there, so will be popping back to have a good chat with him.

Here are a few pix of the Resin Hardscape, I really like the Pieces.

004-3.jpg

005-1.jpg

006-2.jpg

008-4.jpg

Lesser Male Peacock
014-3.jpg

Pygmy Cories
021-1.jpg

Just waiting on the main plants to arrive, so that I can scape it up.

Removed the Falx as they were not getting on with the Peacocks. The Just Kept bickering and having squabbles. So have gone on sale this morning.
Armoured Shrimp Is doing well which is good. It spends most of its time on the Inlet sponge catching particles in his Fans.
Cherries Have all moved location in the tank, they are all on the Glass Shelf which makes it alot easier to feed them seperately to the fish.
Some of the HF have moved up into the shelf aswell, the Old female has dropped again. Wondering how long she will live for, as most people who keep them say that she should be dead by now.
SB Rams are doing great, they are still shy, but that will change with time. Adding some Titanium females next week to even out the numbers as have more males at the moment.
Also waiting on some Hara Jerdoni to join my current Hara, so it has some company.

Still reeling from the fact that another Fish Department has been lost due to the recent High Winds. And wonder when it will reopen as staff have no clue as yet. which means that driving to any LFS with a decent Selection is now over an 1hr round trip.

Glad I decided to use a few choice Ebay Sellers now, who have more choice than the stores and cheaper prices due to less overheads.

WOW my Titanium Rams Arrived and they are Stunning, Even after being sent to the Wrong address. Arriving 4 Hours Late, and the water going cold. They were A Vivid Color, Can't Wait for them to show off their colors. They have already Joined in the current gang and are settling In Great.
Armoured Shrimps are Massive and Very Happy with the price I paid for them.

Micro Crabs are in a Breeder untill the Pico Matures a bit with the Rilli

Re: Ram Bam Thankyou Mam - Titanium Rams

Gill said:
Will get some Pix Later.

pls, i went looking on google and could find nothing.

i'm eager to see what they look like.

Re: Ram Bam Thankyou Mam - Titanium Rams

Gill said:
JohnC said:
Gill said:
Will get some Pix Later.

pls, i went looking on google and could find nothing.

i'm eager to see what they look like.

Lol, Its just the Thai name for Electric Blue

:D

well, you learn sommit new every day around here.

still want to see them. I miss my GBR's.

Re: Ram Bangarang - Titanium Rams

No Worries, will get some shots tommorrow, as already lights out.
My Son Now Says that his fish are the Orange(molly) and Blue(rams)

Back