• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Probably Crazy Long Distance CO2 Idea

I'd have a check valve at either end of the run, 2 inline flow valves and solenoid as close to the tank as possible.

This way when the Co2 shuts off at night the main line would remain pressurised, plus if the solenoid was in the shed it would take an age for the bubbles to stop while the main line drops it's pressure.
I wouldn't, I would leave the solenoid on the regulator, all outside. So what the pipe takes a while to depressurise & bubbles takes a while to stop when the solenoid is off, pipe will instantly pressurise when the solenoid comes on.

You may still get fluctuations with changing temps tho.
Unlikely, and not likely to make any difference, that is the function of the regulator... to regulate.

I understand regulators regulating etc, i was thinking about expansion and contraction and if he would have to adjust his flow in winter/summer.

I understand regulators regulating etc, i was thinking about expansion and contraction and if he would have to adjust his flow in winter/summer.
Nope, pressure would stay the same, say 2.5bar regardless of temperature, flow would be set whatever he set the needle valve at. I think you are confusing pressure and flow. No gas would be wasted as its all still in the pipe, awaiting to be pressurised and pushed into the tank.

Actually pubs store their CO2 outside or in cellar and pipe the lower pressure CO2 to point of delivery. I haven't heard people complaining their drinks are flat depending on the season.

Nah mate I know the difference.

If the solenoid was at the start of his run, the gas left in the main line would continue to gas off into the tank until the pressure became low enough to stop pushing thru the diffuser, thus wasting that gas unless unless you had a control at the other end to prevent it.

Don't get me wrong you wouldn't lose it all there would still be gas in the pipe, I prefer to keep my losses to a minimum.

Expansion and contraction would be minimal, it's not as if were super heating and rapidly cooling the co2 and because of the speed it passes thru pipe, it's most like to be the same temp going into the tank as it is coming out of the bottle, at best these fluctuations would be minor, but don't Co2 fluctuations cause problems or does this only apply to wild fluctuations?

Nah mate I know the difference.
Sorry then.
If the solenoid was at the start of his run, the gas left in the main line would continue to gas off into the tank until the pressure became low enough to stop pushing thru the diffuser, thus wasting that gas unless unless you had a control at the other end to prevent it.
Gas would not be wasted, it will be going into the tank, to be used by plants.
.. at best these fluctuations would be minor, but don't Co2 fluctuations cause problems or does this only apply to wild fluctuations?
It's major fluctuations that cause issues and over a couple of days. I once ran for a couple of days with no CO2, forgot to turn time clock on after water change, and did not suffer algae outbreak, melting plants etc.

Gas would not be wasted, it will be going into the tank, to be used by plants.

I do agree with that but I'd still do it the other way round mate, but that's personal pref' I guess.

It's major fluctuations that cause issues and over a couple of days. I once ran for a couple of days with no CO2, forgot to turn time clock on after water change, and did not suffer algae outbreak, melting plants etc.[/quote]

Learning something new everyday :)

Hmm interesting discussion, thanks for the input!

As I mentioned at the start of the thread, I'm completely new to this. I think I understand the basics but have no idea where to source the bits I need. For example,

I'd have a check valve at either end of the run, 2 inline flow valves and solenoid as close to the tank as possible.

I understand the check valves bit but what would flow valves look like and where would you get them from? Also, I've seen regs with solenoids attached but what sort can you get which don't act on the reg?

And while I'm at it where would I find Pneumatic fittings?

It all sounds great and I'm itching to get ordering but I'm a bit stuck with where to start. Just about the only bit that I'm confident enough to source at the moment is the cylinder. :confused:

These are just examples of what I used there are different items available.

There are loads of regulators out there that you can use, I personally use a welding regulator it was all I could afford at the time.
My Reg looks like this one:
CO2 Single Stage side entry welders Regulator Female fitting suits Pub Bottles | eBay

Inline flow valves look like these, it would be better tho if you could find them else where as this site is a tad expensive.
They Look like this:
Flow Controller (inline) - Hosefit - Top Online UK Supplier of Pneumatics, Hydraulics, Pipe Fittings & Industrial Hose at Trade Prices

The solenoid valve I bought is linked below, only had for a month but all has been well so far.
CO2-magnetic Valve / Solenoid Valve Night Time Cut off | eBay

If you look down the left hand side of the hosefit site you'll see a heading for Pneumattic fittings.
I prefer to use the rigid nylon tubing for connecting the fittings altho you can use the more flexible type too
Another thing I can think of is the connection of the regulator to the FE / Co2 cylinder but there'll be a range of fittings that will allow you to get connected, we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

If you like when I come in tomorrow I'll show you my setup, you'll have to forgive the untidyness of it tho, I haven't had time to sort it out yet.

Wow, thanks!

Looks like I'll be spending a fair bit of time on hosefit.co.uk and eBay then. ;)

If you like when I come in tomorrow I'll show you my setup, you'll have to forgive the untidyness of it tho, I haven't had time to sort it out yet.

Yes, I'd be very interested to see how you've got everything hooked up. It makes it so much easier to get your head round when you can see it in pics!

Sorry for the time it's taken me to do this, it's been one of those days.

This is far from finished, just don't have the time to sort it out at the moment.

My regulator connects into a gas valve, I installed this so I could isolate the supply with out fiddling with my settings, the first flow valve was one I had lying around and used it simply because it pointed downwards and the reducers were only used as they sent me the wrong inline flow valves (8mm instead of 6mm.....muppets)
I got the reducers from work for free so just reduced instead of the hassle of returning them.

co21m.jpg

After the second flow valve the tube goes straight down then back up into the solenoid, comes out the top and into check valve number one.

co23b.jpg

The tubing comes out of the check valve, goes into a bubble counter then into another check valve.

co22.jpg

This is by no means finished and it's a little too messy for me to be proud of, but if it will help you then the hate mail will be worth it, lol.
I would quite easily get away with the regulator and a single flow valve, but like I said I wanted the pipe to point down and had it lying around.
The first check valve is protect the solenoid and the second is my final connection before going into the tank, hopefully will prevent flooding one day.

All you really need is below
examplehm.png

I wouldn't bother with that level of complexity and cost. KISS.... keep it simple stupid.

I would go for one of these regulators. I and many members here use these. Work fine with inline diffusers
CO2 Systems For Your Aquarium - CO2 Supermarket
Also will sell you a monster length of CO2 tubing.

I would then use two of these, one at FE end and other at tank end, before bubble counter. These have pipe clamps on and are not prone to blowing off :yuck: and having the tubing knocked off.
2pcs x Aquarium CO2 Air Pump One Way Double Check Valve RAY002 | eBay

A needle valve at tank end.
CO2 Needle Valve for Pressure Guage DIY Diffuser System Planted Aquarium | eBay

I have one of these bubble counters, has a built in check valve and tube clamps. Bubbles a bit small, maybe better suited to tiny tank, rather than 180litre, but really used to indicate CO2 is flowing.
Aquarium PM Crystal CO2 Bubble Counter Check Valve | eBay

An inline diffuser (this is 16/22mm piping). I have used jubilee clips on mine as it was possible to accidentally pull the piping off the clamps when messing around with filters.
Up Aqua CO2 Super Diffuser System Large Tube D519 16 L | eBay

Also to control you CO2 solenoid remotely, wirelessly controlled mains socket.
Anyone used Byron/Home Easy remote timeswitches ? | UK Aquatic Plant Society

Like this...
co22.jpg

I wouldn't bother with that level of complexity and cost. KISS.... keep it simple stupid.

Look at the picture at the bottom, thats not even remotely complex.

I didn't suggest he copy mine it was mearly to show him what I had, there is always more than one of doing the same thing.

Remember.......KISS ; )

Thanks to both Porksword and Ian_m! I wasn't expecting the level of detail you've provided, incredibly useful.

I think I've got everything I need now so will be putting together a design this weekend and will get ordering!

Watch this space for updates!

Back