• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Question about pressurised CO2 and water disturbance

So just to recap Darrel. Could we conclude that "pH drop" is independent of KH? Even if its not exactly 1 unit of ph. In other words you need the same pH drop no matter the hardness of the water. Now there are also other acids/bases. And this is another big question. Is it still the same pH drop if we add an acid that? I think it is because it will break down KH. And is it the same pH drop if we add a base? Dont know.

Actually this is quite easy to test and Im testing it indirectly now in my tank. Im adding H3PO4 to lower pH whilst maintaining the same BPS and difussion method. Ill find out today if the pH drop stays approx the same. Yes I know this isnt scientific but its something.

Reactions: xim
Going well for me again today it seems,

Dc was a blue/green at lights on with a 0.7ph drop.
2.5 hours into my lighting period now and the dc is green and a full 1ph drop. It seems to be static at this point too.

If it stays green all day then I am going to add some fish tomorrow.

Bugger, it went yellow late in the day.

Have closed the needle valve slightly and increased surface agitation a touch.

It's not exact I know, but what bps do people use for tanks around 50l?

1/2 - 1 bps with a jbl proflora bubble counter (big bubbles)
how late in the day did it go yellow?
If you've reduced the injection rate you might want to start injecting co2 a little earlier
you can also turn the co2 off before the end of the photoperiod, in my tank co2 goes off 3hours before lights
Its a tricky business this co2 injection

It was around 6/7pm when it went on at 12.

After knocking it back a bit and watching it closely today, it went green around 3.30pm so I've set it to start 30 mins earlier tomorrow.
Ph dropped from 8.1 to 7.6 which using the Barr table puts me just into green. I'm going to aim for 7.4 next time I'm home to monitor things.

I've added fish today too so will only be making VERY small changes now.

Back