• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

R.O Filtration

krazypara3165

ive recently set up a planted aquarium and im determined to make it discus friendly. in my eyes there is nothing more amazing than watching the reds, blues and yellows of discus against the greenery of a planted tank.

I have been in contact with several breeders who all tell me not to adust my water, to leave it as it is as long as its stable. my worry is that my nitrates as standard out the tap are 30ppm and id imagine with 6 discus this will only get worse. contrary to the breeders theres a lot of people on the internet including other breeders that say 30ppm is far far too high.

what does everyone on here think? i am seriously contemplating getting a ro machine, im aware it needs to be connected to the mains but can anyone describe me through the process? what they do to reguarly change the tank water using an ro machine and does anyone have any recommendations? tbh, i want to try and get away with standard tap water but i will consider all options to make sure the fish stay healthy.

pictures of peoples setups would be greatly appreciated!!!

cheers, craig

I used an RO Filter for years and had no problems. However when you consider with EI we are adding minerals to the water and I used to use SERA mineral salts to re-mineralise the water, in the end I thought what's the point so now I just use tap water and did so when I had my Discus.

The real reason people use RO filters with discus is to keep the water as soft as possible when trying to breed their Discus. The RO takes out the salts along with everything else and the salts would penetrate the discus eggs making them go white and they would not hatch.

If you are just keeping discus to watch and not to breed I would stick with the tap water, if your local tap water is high in nitrates then just adjust your EI mixture to compensate.

Steve

You really need to get over your paranoia regarding nitrates. Nitrates are not harmful to your fish. It's what they start out as that causes the problems.

Cheers,

ceg4048 said:
You really need to get over your paranoia regarding nitrates. Nitrates are not harmful to your fish. It's what they start out as that causes the problems.

Cheers,

Why is it that many discus breeders of high repute as well as those who breed other fish considered more fussy such as hypancistrus sp or certain south american dwarf cichlids all swear that high nitrates cause breeding problems Clive ?

ceg4048 said:

Cheers,

cheers, i do remember reading your other posts on nitrates which is what made me think keeping discus in tap water is achievable, however after seeing an awful lot of posts on British and International Discus Keepers Association forum, it was near enough unanimous that nitrates for discus are detrimental to the health of the fish, whereas a lot of other species are more tolerant, thats whats got me thinking about the R.O route. however as stated in my post id like to keep it simple

REDSTEVEO said:
I used an RO Filter for years and had no problems. However when you consider with EI we are adding minerals to the water and I used to use SERA mineral salts to re-mineralise the water, in the end I thought what's the point so now I just use tap water and did so when I had my Discus.

The real reason people use RO filters with discus is to keep the water as soft as possible when trying to breed their Discus. The RO takes out the salts along with everything else and the salts would penetrate the discus eggs making them go white and they would not hatch.

If you are just keeping discus to watch and not to breed I would stick with the tap water, if your local tap water is high in nitrates then just adjust your EI mixture to compensate.

Steve
my gh is only 7 and kh 3 so im not really worried about that. how would i adjust my E.I mixture (apologies, im new to E.I dosing)

My main issue with RO units is the terrible waist of water, up to 90% goes to waste & the 10% left is usually mixed back with 50% tap water!! :?
At one time I was an avid RO user because I was led to believe that in order for my corrys to breed I would need super soft & pure water.....well I don't as my corrys breed thought out the year & I pour in more salts & Co2 than you can shake a stick at.
I would agree that it is well documented that discus need certain conditions to breed but, I suspect they just need to be happy.

well what ive read from one of ceg's previous posts and what one of the breeders has told me is that as long as the conditions are stable, and i continue with regular maintenance and water changes they will be fine! its just annoying because a lot of breeders still stick to the 'it has to be a bared bottom tank, no plants ro water must be used' rule. i think i will leave it a few weeks just to see if the conditions in my tank stay stable as it is relativly new, and once im happy buy the discus and prove the so called dexperts wrong!

I think that the key for fresh water fish is keep everything constant. You had another post asking about water changes and you where worried about the cost.

I would say concentrate on setting up your tank getting it stable. And don't worry about your nitrates.

If you add plants 30ppm nitrates will soon be sucked up.

I do however use RO and I find that there is no substitute. But I am a minority and I like to know exactly what my water perimeters are ;)

Plus I also use RO to clean my windows. I know strange!

yes, your right jeff. i now have a pond dechlorinator, that treats a few thousand liters, so that was that sorted. i already have plenty of plants in there, and things are stable so far but i want to continue running it for a few more weeks and keep up with the research before i go out and buy them.

Sounds like you are on the right track :)

foxfish said:
My main issue with RO units is the terrible waist of water, up to 90% goes to waste & the 10% left is usually mixed back with 50% tap water!! :?
At one time I was an avid RO user because I was led to believe that in order for my corrys to breed I would need super soft & pure water.....well I don't as my corrys breed thought out the year & I pour in more salts & Co2 than you can shake a stick at.
I would agree that it is well documented that discus need certain conditions to breed but, I suspect they just need to be happy.

When the water supply companies do something to reduce the (up to) 30% waste of water through leaks, by utilising some of the massive profits they make, I will start worrying about wastage through domestic RO filtration. But at a consumption rate of 30 cubic metres to produce the amount of RO water I would need over the period of a year, frankly I don't see a point of concern. Especially when industry uses billions of cubic metres of water for their RO requirement.

And don't forget you can put that waste water to good use.

I pass it through a second stage and then collect the waste for washing car and watering garden :)

true, i am tempted. what r.o kits does everyone use? and have you got any pictures of the setup? my worry is the amount of hoses id imagine i need and possibly a water butt outside. if i got one the only way i can think of rigging it up is by using my empty washing machine space and connecting it to the inflow and outflow adaptors for it and feed it into a 25l drum that i should be able to hide there. that way, although i wouldnt be able to do large water changes, i could supplement my regular water change with nitrate free water and reduce the amount nitrates in the water. but to be honest i would like to try it with tap water to start and then only go down the R.O route if the fish show signs of stress or stunted growth as apparently they are the main symptoms.

+1 for RO-MAN.

But last time I tried their site ( some years ago now ) he had ceased trading

Antipofish said:
ceg4048 said:

Why is it that many discus breeders of high repute as well as those who breed other fish considered more fussy such as hypancistrus sp or certain south american dwarf cichlids all swear that high nitrates cause breeding problems Clive ?

krazypara3165 said:
cheers, i do remember reading your other posts on nitrates which is what made me think keeping discus in tap water is achievable, however after seeing an awful lot of posts on British and International Discus Keepers Association forum, it was near enough unanimous that nitrates for discus are detrimental to the health of the fish, whereas a lot of other species are more tolerant, thats whats got me thinking about the R.O route. however as stated in my post id like to keep it simple
I've kept discus in tap water and have had no problems at all. CO2 was a different issue though. Dan Crawford has had his discus breed in his EI tank. Just because many people believe something, this does not validate the belief. Discus breeders grossly overfeed their fish in order to promote rapid growth, and in so doing, severely pollute the tank water with organic waste that if left unchecked, turns into ammonia, an extremely toxic substance, and later to nitrite, which is only slightly less toxic. The Nitrogen cycle demands huge amounts of Oxygen. As we've explain countless times, leaving organic waste in the water not only produces the real toxic products, but also robs the water of oxygen, so the fish suffer both nitrogen poisoning and hypoxia. So Discus breeders must change the water frequently. Of course there is nitrate in the removed water. Have the British and International Discus Keepers Association actually done autopsies on fish to determine cause of death? Have they done studies to compare the growth rates of fish in high inorganic nitrate water? All these people know is that they have to change the water frequently in order to improve health. What they don't realize is that they are throwing away the organic waste that results in toxicity and at the same time they happen to be throwing away nitrate, so they guess that nitrate buildup is the cause of their troubles. So they all tell each other about the nasty nitrate and everyone becomes hysterical. The nitrate we dose and the nitrate in the tap is inorganic. It does not go through the nitrification cycle and does not rob the tank of oxygen because it is already the end product. Other chichlid breeders assume that their fish are less susceptible to nitrate, but their waters are less polluted and they are not feeding things like beefheart. There is a lot of circumstantial evidence that suddenly becomes fact if no one questions it or if no one tests the evidence.

For how many years and how many people have insisted that NO3/PO4 in a tank causes algae? Maybe if NO3 has nothing to do with algae, it may also be that it is not toxic as well.

geoffbark said:
I think that the key for fresh water fish is keep everything constant.
This is not true at all. Firstly because you can never keep the water constant. It is always under attack by microbes, pollutants and other chemicals, which change the water quality, always for the worse. Secondly because the water quality deteriorates, it's necessary to replace these small volumes of water. There are a couple of parameters which should be held within strict limits, such as temperature, but there are not very many others that need to be held constant. Why is it OK for Discus breeders to perform massive and frequent water changes because of nitrate, but yet water must be held constant to avoid stress? These two cannot both be true.

In the Amazon fish swim from stream to stream in the pursuit of food. Each stream is different in temperature, pH , GH and so forth. Fish have no problems making the adjustments as they navigate the different waters. This whole business of keeping things constant, which is a fantasy, is what paints people in a corner. Concentrate more on keeping the tank clean and stop worrying about NO3, or about keeping things constant. Cleanliness is the most important constant. If you want to keep the conductivity low and if the tap conductivity is very high, then sure, partial RO changes are a good idea but it shouldn't be something to be obsessive over.

Cheers,

krazypara3165 said:
BOOM! and i believe that is what people call a 'ceg bomb!' thanks for that, its made me feel more confident about keeping them in tap water!

Im not so sure it has given me that confidence. Whilst tarring most mainstream discus keepers with the same brush (of overfeeding and using unsuitable foods) Clive has also implied that just because a couple of named people we are all familiar with have had success keeping them in tap water, that everyone will be as successful. Its a double edged whammy that Im not prepared to accept so easily, simply on the grounds of its author (in this instance). I know people who keep discus, and one who lives very close to me (who knows his cichlids well enough to write for various publications as well as giving talks to Aquarist Societies) neither over feeds his discus nor holds with the idea that tap water is ideal. He has just "kept" them in tap water but having started using an HMA filter, has noticed that they are far happier. This has nothing to do with depleted oxygen caused by excessive feeding, but the water quality itself.

And wanting to use RO water is not obsessive. I find that notion somewhat offensive in fact. From a conversation I had with him before he went on his current tour of duty (which is thankfully soon to end), I know that George Farmer uses RO water because he believes it provides a better environment for his fish. And I would not expect he can be accused of overfeeding either.

Not all water is equal out of our taps too. Water supply companies tend to add cr4p as and when they feel like it. At least having RO filtered water that is then adjusted back to what we want in terms of mineralisation, we can give some kind of continuity to our fish.

Back