Saintly's 120cm 'hill's of desire'

Discussion in 'Featured Journals' started by Mark Evans, 3 Oct 2009.

1. john starkey

john starkey Member

Re: Saintly's 120cm private scape

Mark whatever you decide I'm sure it will have your usual high standard trademark (no pun intended),
    regards john.

2. Mark Evans

Mark Evans Expert

i've been up at the house for an hour and had a play. I'm afraid it's nothing earth shattering or innovative. I'm desperate to pull off a sand/stone foreground, and so the layout is designed this way with nooks and crannies for moss. this will be moss heavy along with crypts and other slow growers.

trialrun.jpg

trialrun2.jpg

TRIALRUN3.jpg

these were layout ideas. i've finished it along with graded gravels and nature soil added. i'll upload better images when i've got them.

This is by no means an iwagumi.(obviously no main stone) In a way it's going to be quite a low growing tank, with plenty of swimming room.

3. Themuleous

Themuleous Member

Are you going to get some height into the scape using plants? Rock alone look quite low to me?

Sam

4. Mark Evans

Mark Evans Expert

this is just a foreground themulus. tanks don't always need height.

maybe it'll turn out wrong. i can always try again :D

5. samc

samc Member

i like it :D

it will look good with moss in between the rocks. i am thinking of doing this in mine, or if i have enough i might cover the whole sherbang!

i like it when amano makes a foreground line with all moss.

6. Mark Evans

Mark Evans Expert

you've got it sam. i intend to use mosses, acicularis, tennellus, crypts, c heferi. maybe a lilly.

so you see, like i said earlier, it's a low growing scape. with height is provided by either c helferi or a lilly. i may even add more stone.

7. Mark Evans

Mark Evans Expert

This was work in progress with adding pebbles and stuff. more were added.
    IMG_1732-01.jpg

8. Themuleous

Themuleous Member

Fair enough, just wondered what the overall plan was :)

Sam

9. nico

nico Member

great start :thumbup: i like the way you used the stones , even though you used them making a line it doesn't seems linear at all , i especially like the disposition of the stones in the center part , the angle you used (especially for the right stone) is great , i think that i'm going to like this one ;)

10. Mark Evans

Mark Evans Expert

cheers Nico, The whole scape may seem a little unorthodox with not having driftwood or a main stone, but i want to try and be different with the planting. i do recall an amano scape from many moons ago, where he does not use hard scape at all, so anything is possible with this :D at least i don't have to look at it everyday :lol:

11. Mark Evans

Mark Evans Expert

12. TDI-line

TDI-line Member

Looks great so far Mark, and you know i'm a fan of the low level height of planting too. :D

13. chump54

chump54 Member

nice rock work (as usual!) :)

some great colours. do the pale crypts along the front disrupt the sense of scale, abit? I wish I could create something of that standard, who am i to judge. :crazy: but anyway what do you think?

Chris

14. Mark Evans

Mark Evans Expert

personally i don't think so. i think this scape shows great use of crypts and different varieties. Amano never ceases to amaze me.

i've used it as reference to hardscape positioning. just to show that a few rocks in the foreground/mid ground will suffice in certain situations. there seems to be a trend of trying to create this uber deep tank via height of hardscape and substrate. i've seen a few amano set ups nearly flat!

yep, i know mate. i cant believe i'm actually going to plant slow growers :wideyed: NO STEMS!

15. chump54

chump54 Member

i do like the colours, and the crypts on the left are beautiful. he does indeed make the most fantastic scapes.

no pressure then!

hey, how do you think the ambient light in the room will affect the plants, it's in a conservatory, isn't it? I have mine in quite a light room and I'm always aware of how much light seems to be reaching the front.

C

16. rawr

rawr Member

I really like this, the foreground and planting ideas etc. I like the fact that it's going to be low growing too - maybe get some nice top-dwelling fish in there like Glowlight Danios.

17. Garuf

Garuf Member

It's going to be a beauty that, I can't help but feel it needs some wood but then I'm entirely bias in favour of that kind of thing. Good luck, not that you'll need it!

18. Mark Evans

Mark Evans Expert

cheers guys. i've got a sketch of the layout. first time i tried drawing, i surprised myself how good it looks. :p

so, it's to be mosses, by the bucket load, crypts (various sp.), acicularis. and i'm tempted to add a lilly, purely because i love them but never grown them.

19. nico

nico Member

it seems that Amano does huge slopes for iwagumi but for his "nature aquarium" style (wood only type) slopes are way more moderate , even more for the ones using sand where sometimes they seem nearly flat ;)

20. myboyshay

myboyshay Member

Hardscape looks great, looking forward to this one :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Mark