• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Saintly's 120cm 'hill's of desire'

Re: Saintly's 120cm private scape

Mark whatever you decide I'm sure it will have your usual high standard trademark (no pun intended),
regards john.

i've been up at the house for an hour and had a play. I'm afraid it's nothing earth shattering or innovative. I'm desperate to pull off a sand/stone foreground, and so the layout is designed this way with nooks and crannies for moss. this will be moss heavy along with crypts and other slow growers.

trialrun.jpg

trialrun2.jpg

TRIALRUN3.jpg

these were layout ideas. i've finished it along with graded gravels and nature soil added. i'll upload better images when i've got them.

This is by no means an iwagumi.(obviously no main stone) In a way it's going to be quite a low growing tank, with plenty of swimming room.

Themuleous said:
Are you going to get some height into the scape using plants? Rock alone look quite low to me?

this is just a foreground themulus. tanks don't always need height.

maybe it'll turn out wrong. i can always try again :D

samc said:
i like it when amano makes a foreground line with all moss.

you've got it sam. i intend to use mosses, acicularis, tennellus, crypts, c heferi. maybe a lilly.

so you see, like i said earlier, it's a low growing scape. with height is provided by either c helferi or a lilly. i may even add more stone.

This was work in progress with adding pebbles and stuff. more were added.
IMG_1732-01.jpg

great start :thumbup: i like the way you used the stones , even though you used them making a line it doesn't seems linear at all , i especially like the disposition of the stones in the center part , the angle you used (especially for the right stone) is great , i think that i'm going to like this one ;)

nico said:
great start :thumbup: i like the way you used the stones , even though you used them making a line it doesn't seems linear at all , i especially like the disposition of the stones in the center part , the angle you used (especially for the right stone) is great , i think that i'm going to like this one ;)

cheers Nico, The whole scape may seem a little unorthodox with not having driftwood or a main stone, but i want to try and be different with the planting. i do recall an amano scape from many moons ago, where he does not use hard scape at all, so anything is possible with this :D at least i don't have to look at it everyday :lol:

chump54 said:
do the pale crypts along the front disrupt the sense of scale, abit?

personally i don't think so. i think this scape shows great use of crypts and different varieties. Amano never ceases to amaze me.

i've used it as reference to hardscape positioning. just to show that a few rocks in the foreground/mid ground will suffice in certain situations. there seems to be a trend of trying to create this uber deep tank via height of hardscape and substrate. i've seen a few amano set ups nearly flat!

TDI-line said:
Looks great so far Mark, and you know i'm a fan of the low level height of planting too. :D

yep, i know mate. i cant believe i'm actually going to plant slow growers :wideyed: NO STEMS!

i do like the colours, and the crypts on the left are beautiful. he does indeed make the most fantastic scapes.

no pressure then!

hey, how do you think the ambient light in the room will affect the plants, it's in a conservatory, isn't it? I have mine in quite a light room and I'm always aware of how much light seems to be reaching the front.

C

I really like this, the foreground and planting ideas etc. I like the fact that it's going to be low growing too - maybe get some nice top-dwelling fish in there like Glowlight Danios.

It's going to be a beauty that, I can't help but feel it needs some wood but then I'm entirely bias in favour of that kind of thing. Good luck, not that you'll need it!

cheers guys. i've got a sketch of the layout. first time i tried drawing, i surprised myself how good it looks. :p

so, it's to be mosses, by the bucket load, crypts (various sp.), acicularis. and i'm tempted to add a lilly, purely because i love them but never grown them.

saintly said:
i've seen a few amano set ups nearly flat!

it seems that Amano does huge slopes for iwagumi but for his "nature aquarium" style (wood only type) slopes are way more moderate , even more for the ones using sand where sometimes they seem nearly flat ;)

Back