Saintly's 240L 'savannah dreaming' scape finished

Discussion in 'Featured Journals' started by Mark Evans, 16 Feb 2010.

1. keymaker

keymaker Member

You guys have achieved so much in such a short time. I guess the UKAPS has reached to a point where all (!) the biological, technical and spiritual info is present.

Many have reached a level of true aquascaping professionalism here and they just do not know how to continue. It's natural. Like the runner who has just crossed the finish line being first for the fourth consecutive race and he says to himself "ok, but what's the point?" ;)

Others have just made a couple of stunning scapes but have some problems understanding some minor details (like what the h. is happening to my bolbitis :D ) and they might just feel that there's not enough time to reach deeper knowledge.

Well, while there is a different point of interest for each of us - let me tell you mine. Two things. One - while I am extremely busy with my work, the maintenance of a tank is a routine that just turned into a calming pleasure. Two - the sight of the "living nature" in my room and the reminder that "we are not alone" :D is just so strong, that I would not give up on it.

It is not a mainly a competition or learning thing for me anymore - it is a reminder and a "flow-experience" (BTW this famous chap was a Hungarian living in the US 8) ) - and it became a way of life, if you wish. I also understand if one has to take a break, life is just too overwhelming sometimes. :idea:

2. Mark Evans

Mark Evans Expert

well everyone, i've just rescasped the 120 in about 20 minutes flat. what you see is what you get. Planting is ridiculously simple too. (not planted yet) 8)

maybe I'm just not good enough...i've always said i'm 'lucky' :D

3. keymaker

keymaker Member

Sure Mate, that's how we know you. :D And thats why we picked your name out of a hat for this. :D

4. Mark Evans

Mark Evans Expert

:oops: yes, sorry. It's just a trate of mine...self confidence.... or lack of it sometimes.

5. FishBeast

FishBeast Member

I can't wait to see the final pictures.

6. Dan Crawford

Dan Crawford Founder Staff Member

Nice work Mark, this was a lovely aquascape, great materials, health, plant choice and the photography was on the button. I'm sure your new tank will be equally stunning and with such a contrast to this it'll make a refreshing change to the norm.

7. Mark Evans

Mark Evans Expert

:oops: There aren't any. soz man.i'll try and get some of the ones i have :thumbup:

cheers dan. I'm looking forward to a hassle free tank....hopefully. :D

8. Mark Evans

Mark Evans Expert

here's from about 2 weeks ago....before thinsg got really out of hand.

break-down.jpg

9. Jur4ik

Jur4ik Member

Hi Mark,
    hope it helps if you hear that I´m unhappy with last tank too :? Everything is looking fine - all plants are good quality but somehow it has no soul. Multiple things I wish to change. Working hard last time, days are short too - not much time to think about the hobby. need some time to pass and we will see :angelic: :wave:

10. Mark Evans

Mark Evans Expert

Hey jur4ik! hows it going.

yeah, somehow it's easy to lose interest. somehow i was getting burnt out. The latest tank was basically an exercise in trying to relight my 'artistic' fires. It's worked...I'm fired up again. I've never been one to give up too easy.

11. Jur4ik

Jur4ik Member

I´m fine
    except the fact I can´t go on holidays this summer and the weather is definitely too hot to work in a suit and tie.
    By the way, you remember I told you about my college visit to london 2011? I will be there from 29 of January till 19th February. Would be great to meet some of the UKAPS members.

12. schraptor

schraptor Member

Refreshing this topic as I really love your scape Mark (actually most of your scapes :D ).
    One question regarding stems - how do you deal with old leafs when e.g. HM ball gets bigger. Are you not having problems with older leafs not getting enough light and dying? Also how do you deal with all the dirt accommodating around bottom parts of such bushes? I've a lot smaller tank and it is not easy to suck it off when doing w/c without damaging the plants / ripping off some of the roots.

13. Mark Evans

Mark Evans Expert

Yes mate, it will happen; there's not a lot you can, or for that matter, want to do about it. I've noticed you've got plant growing skills and this count's for a lot. The bush that you have is strong and now can take significant amounts of pruning.

The older leaves will in time be buried by the new growth that comes through, and will be out of site.

Take a look at Amano, he's the master at trimming and in some scapes (I'll find a brilliant example) of the lower parts of his stems.