• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Sumido

Djoko Sauza

20230817_102803.jpg

Love it, Its giving the scene from Monsters where the Octopods courtship is seen near the end.

Long time no update, I'm bad at keeping journals.

It was a rough start, had staghorn algae growing on the plants that came from the low tech, some plants refused to grow altogether (I blame the ADA soil). Green hair algae still present in small amounts but it's manageable.

After around 5 months it feels like it's coming around. About time it did!

20240113_115701.jpg

I'm not completely happy with the hardscape, and cleaning the sand is a pain in the butt. For the rest I'm quite please with it.

Any suggestions on what to stock in here?

Very nice lush greens!
.... cleaning the sand is a pain in the butt. For the rest I'm quite please with it.
I love the sand look. But I am just not there in that space just yet!

Any suggestions on what to stock in here?
I think I saw one fish in there already. That right?
How many litres is the tank, what sort of filter do you have on there, and what's your plan for aeration?

How many litres is the tank, what sort of filter do you have on there, and what's your plan for aeration?
I think it’s an ada 120p so 250 litres (120 x 45 x 45).

I think it’s an ada 120p so 250 litres (120 x 45 x 45).
Yeah, it certainly looks big!! (Puts my 100L to shame! I must upgrade!) :)

Keen to understand the filter and flow. Also, it does not look like there is a lot of aeration in there at the moment.

Looks great, well worth the effort. Well done. I always favour deep bodied hyphessobrycon spp. in a set up like this.
Great suggestion, always had a soft spot for black phantom tetras.

At the moment there is 1 WCMM, 3 Green neon tetras and a pair of Apistogramma Elizabethae in the tank, all from the previous setup.

Tank itself is a ADA 120-P (120×50×50, 300l) filtered by Fluval 407 which delivers a staggering 1450L/h. No further aeration.

Plants are pearling by the end of the day, that means there is some oxygen in the water, right?

I’d be interested too, as it’s fairly unusual to run a spin outlet on such a large tank.
The spin outlet is an attempt at creating gentle flow while still using a powerful filter. Is it ideal for plants? Probably not... the stunting on the occasional stem plant is proof enough. Or is that due to the low co2 or scuffed DIY ferts? Who knows.
Still, I find it more enjoyable to have a calm habitat rather than seeing fish and plants being blown away in the current. So... spin for the win.

Good flow is essential though?
I've been using the spin outlet since setting up the scape, and stuff grows.
Granted, plant health is not perfect. There is some hair algae and stunting. But this could be due to so many other factors such as light intensity, low CO2 or nutrient levels. I'd blame any of these before lack of flow.

I definitely could be wrong. But in short I wouldn't say good (strong?) flow is essential.

Back