• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Sumido

In many FB groups (other than a few good ones) the approach frequently pushed is to be as "natural" as possible, but unfortunately, there is only so much that can be done to emulate a real natural environment in a glass box in one's living room. Some principles of nature apply, but most do not from an aesthetic perspective. I tend to think of my tanks as experiments in aquatic horticulture and not much more. While not ignoring the biochemistry, a good bit of what we do is inherently unnatural because of the inherent control, and there's nothing wrong with that. As @MichaelJ said, I'd much rather have a scape that emulates aspects of nature but has scale and a certain artistry to it. The OG nature aquarium scapes are probably the closest to the "most natural" and most visually appealing, IMO.

Just to be clear as what I’ve said seems to have been twisted.

I never once mentioned “strong” flow.
I said GOOD flow.

I fully appreciate the difference between both. One is very essential as I’ve tried stating. The other is going to cause issues as you’ve alluded to @CooKieS

My initial intrigue was regarding the spin pipe, which I don’t believe would produce GOOD flow. When they’re often used in nano tanks to dampen flow.

I hope that clarifies what I’m trying to say.
I shouldn't have assumed that by "good" you meant "strong" flow, my apologies.
It makes sense that flow all over the tank is beneficial, I think we can agree on that. But in this medium-energy system, just how much benefit would it bring over my less than optimal flow distribution? My guess is not that much?

I'll be convinced it sucks if plants show stunting and increasing CO2 levels won't fix it. Because then I can deduce the gas is not traveling far enough to reach said plants.

Do let me know if you think there may be other issues arising from using this spin lily pipe.
In a world where the mantra is "flow is king" there is little proof that "little flow is fine".

Last edited:
Very nice setup, I’m sure you’ll fix your algae issues in time

Regards to stocking a nice group of serpae tetras swimming around your layout would really pop

Back